Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockband Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockband Anyone?

Ok so who all is playing Rockband with their roland drums?

BD
    Roland TD-9SX Drum Set + CY-8 for 2nd Crash - Gibraltar Prowler Pedal - Vic Firth SD1 Sticks - Roland RMP-3 - Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer - Yamaha MS50DR Drum Monitor System - XBOX360 - Tama Swingstar 5 Piece Standard(Vintage Red) - Remo Emperor Clear Heads - Meinl MCS Cymbals
    My Drum Sets:
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSCN1609.jpg
    http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN1610.jpg

Nope, never got around to it. I wanted to at some point buy my drums are in the basement, RB is on the floor above, plus I don't seem to find myself playing RB that often these days. The real thing is way more fun!

But I have startted playing it in Lefty mode recently to strengthen my left arm/ left leg. Thats more fun than I expected...
    My kit:

Comment

Originally posted by LordLucan View Post
      Nope, never got around to it. I wanted to at some point buy my drums are in the basement, RB is on the floor above, plus I don't seem to find myself playing RB that often these days. The real thing is way more fun!

But I have startted playing it in Lefty mode recently to strengthen my left arm/ left leg. Thats more fun than I expected...
      Yeah, I did the same thing. I had to drop back from expert to hard when I switched to lefty though. My left hand is nowhere nearly as fast as my right (yet). Hopefully by the time I work through hard and expert on lefty flip, my left will have almost caught up to my right.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnQ Public View Post
        Yeah, I did the same thing. I had to drop back from expert to hard when I switched to lefty though. My left hand is nowhere nearly as fast as my right (yet). Hopefully by the time I work through hard and expert on lefty flip, my left will have almost caught up to my right.
        Erm... this is a little embarrassing to say on a drummers forum, but I never actually quite finished hard mode. I'm about 6 songs from the end but no cigar (I still Fear the Reaper). When I hit something hard (like Detroit Rock City for example) my mentality is to come back to it a month or to two later to see if my real drum training helps me through it (which it tends to).

So.. therefore when I tried lefty mode I decided to start from from Medium while my muscles adjust.

That said I reached Green Grass and High Tides a little earlier, and managed to plough through first time (although I flailed a little in the middle of the fast part). This was very pleasing, because the amount of muscle fatigue has been exactly reminiscent of when I went through on medium right handed/footed 9 months ago. This was just before I took up drumming for real and back then I failed GG&HT many times over 3 nights before I managed to break through it.
        My kit:

Comment

My case is a little different. I had my old acoustic set in the basement collecting dust. Got RockBand last Christmas for my boys (and a little for me, too).
          After whacking on those pads for a week or so, it set off a spark in me. Sold off the acoustic stuff and bought v-drums.

Some folks got v-drums to play with RockBand....I got v-drums so I didn't have to play RockBand.

Comment

When you say you play in "lefty mode" do you mean you just switched to that mode within Rockband? How does this help because I believe I'm hitting equally with my left/right as it is?
            Roland TD-9SX Drum Set + CY-8 for 2nd Crash - Gibraltar Prowler Pedal - Vic Firth SD1 Sticks - Roland RMP-3 - Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer - Yamaha MS50DR Drum Monitor System - XBOX360 - Tama Swingstar 5 Piece Standard(Vintage Red) - Remo Emperor Clear Heads - Meinl MCS Cymbals
            My Drum Sets:
            http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSCN1609.jpg
            http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN1610.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeDrummer View Post
              When you say you play in "lefty mode" do you mean you just switched to that mode within Rockband? How does this help because I believe I'm hitting equally with my left/right as it is?
              Yep, we switch to Lefty Mode to do it. I started a new character for this so I can measure progress separately, and don't have to keep switching modes.

Lefty Mode does make a difference:

1) Normally if you make a point of hitting the right "drums" with the right sticks, your left hand will mostly just be hitting a few "Red" smare notes, with the right hand hitting the majority of cymbal/hi-hat notes. Which are the other 3 pads. So switch to "Lefty Mode" mode and suddenly the whole thing reverses with your left hand doing the majority of the work and your right hand hitting the (now Green) snares notes.

2) I make a point of exclusively using my left leg when using this mode.

Based on observation when playing in Lefty Mode I also suspect its helping a bit with limb independence.
              Last edited by LordLucan; 09-07-08, 08:58 AM.
              My kit:

Comment

Well, I'll chime in here and state that I will be playing RockBand with my TD-9SX once I get Seth's adaptor. However, I bought the drums to learn to play real drums and the more I learn on them, the less I think I'm likely to enjoy using them as a game controller. I need work in building my timing, being able to lay out a groove, and reading sheet music / tabs - along with a LOT of other stuff. Rockband tends to push the music to you - faster than most should be playing IMO for their skill level. Given that, I feel like I'm not playing the drums but trying to get through them on most songs. I think Tommy Igoe sums it up pretty well for me when he says "you don't get any points for playing a difficult song badly". (Not verbatim, but that's the jist of it) When I can hammer out a Foo Fighters or Metallica song in real life then it might feel different - but that's not the case now for me. Might be my skill level but that's been my initial thought given my learning on the vdrums to date.

I will be purchasing RockBand 2 when it comes out however - as it's still a heck of a lot of fun to play with family and friends. I also am eager to check out the new training section as that might hold some value as well in application to the real drums.

I love the game as it fed my childhood desire to play the drums, and I will continue to play it, but I'm with Colquhoun on this one.
                "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

I just tried the ion pads and cymbals with several TD modules, and they do trigger. I also just plugged my roland pads/cymbals into the ion controller, and its playable, although it looks like i may need to recalibrate if I keep using them.

Comment

I don't like rock band at all. There's very little room for expression and it's weird. Sometimes the timing doesn't feel right. It's for wannabes anyway so what's the point? Most of the songs in the game I can play or would never play because they're too easy. My friends love it tho.
                    Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                    www.oblyvion.com
                    Facebook:[Scych]
                    You Tube Scychful
                    Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

you can play RockBand with v-drums?!?
                      I had no idea...

Anyways I have GuitarHero on Nintendo Wii and got bored after a few months. I easily get bored with most games...
                      Real guitar and drums are much more fun.
                      Dave
                      Sonic Orb Studios
                      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Playing RB with a TD12 and seth's adapter. Waiting on RB2......

Comment

Working...
                        X