Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bit Gutted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Gutted

Lee "Shaggy" Shand

First of all, you British guys talk funny. I had to look up so many words I thought your were speaking a foreign language. (I guess English is technically foreign)

My son is dysgraphic and has a very hard time learning guitar. (He is also left handed which is another challenge) He has gone through the point of giving up on music and then restarted again. With each little success he gets more dedicated. It is a slow and arduous process, but the pay offs are great.

I would keep the guitar and let you son come to it eventually. You picking it up and playing will also be an inspiration. I left my guitars on stands on my office and encouraged the kids to play with them anytime they wanted. Now they are both taking lessons. Patience will be the key.
    sigpic

Comment

You say your son enjoyed his lesson, and you also enjoyed messing about on the guitar. So why don't you both take lessons together then you can help him out when he's away from the tutor. You'll both be learning at the same rate - which will help spur each other on, and you'll be spending quality time together. You will also learn a new skill to boot!

All you need is another guitar - and it hasn't got to be a strat.

Comment

When I owned the local music shop, I taught dyslexic children and adults both to play guitar and drums. For drums I would use 2 kits set up head to head and make the student copy what I did. Let them figure it out themselves. Got them playing the kit and enthusiastic about it, then started on the technical stuff. For guitar, I used a mirror wall and made them focus on the image in the mirror not the neck of the guitar. For some reason it worked. The # one technique for this type of instruction is patience. Most dyslexic individuals are very smart and will figure something out if they are motivated and think it is fun. The worst fear they have is being told they are wrong or stupid.

Comment

Hmm, dunno what to do
          Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Shaggy,

Ultimately it's your son's decision - I don't feel you should try to influence him one way or another. Sure, encourage him and help him get past his frustration if if he says he really wants to play, but don't feel like you have failed him if you can't make this work for him. A love of music has got to start with an almost burning desire, something you will do even if it doesn't sound that great or if you have to start out with a cheap instrument. Sure, keep the guitar if you want. One thing's for sure, your son won't pick it up again if it's not there. If it is, he just might. Just don't pressure him.

Comment

I say keep the guitar. Everyone goes though that "this might not be for me..." stage when learning an instrument and while he;s not using it you can try to learn some things on your own and then record to make some songs.

I started on drums, moved into keys, then finally 2 years ago, I moved into guitar as well so now I run a home studio for fun and make songs when I have the time. It can be a lot of fun.

That's all my option though
              Dave
              Sonic Orb Studios
              My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
              Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Keep the guitar!

I started on drums in school (but only for 3 months once a week) and then took up guitar as my main instrument. It's exceptionally hard to start but you get going, the technique floods in
                TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

I also say keep the guitar. A real Strat for 100 quid? If you don't want it send it my way, I only have 6 guitars already. Way not enough
                  2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Working...
                  X