Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys drown out the pad sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys drown out the pad sounds?

So when i play my TD12 i like not hearing the pads at all. I have a solid pair of cans, Ultrasone PRO 650s. To get it so i don't hear the pads, i have to crank way up, and it's pretty damn loud and i'm finding my ears ringing a bit after playing and i don't want to be deaf when i get older. I play a lot of hardcore/metal stuff, so I hit my pads pretty hard sometimes, especially the kick, which is what I hear most.

I tried putting in earplugs and my headphones over them, but then i had to crank it up super loud to hear what i was playing and my ipod. It drowned out the pad sound for sure, but i feel like im gonna blow my headphone speakers.
    I'm considering going back to my Bose Noise Canceling headphones cuz they seem to drown out the pad noises most, but they don't sound nearly as good as the Ultrasones.

Any tips from you vets?

We're talking acoustic noises, right?

I take it you have mesh pads if its a TD-12? They're supposed to be quieter than the rubber PD-8s, but I think both type make a fair racket. And lucky me, I have about half and half right now...

The noise irritates me most is the tap-tap-tap of the CY-5 hihat. Although still an improvement on the PD-8 that until recently used to be in its place.

How to fix it? I've resorted to draping a blanket over my rubber toms before now. More to prevent waking up the missus than anything. I didn't keep that up for long, it was even more annoying. Although saying that I also tried the blanket on the kick drum a couple of times, and that worked out pretty well! At that rate I think a quieter kick drum would be an easy mod...
    My kit:

Comment

yea i dunno. I just don't like hearing the pads cuz it brings me back to the reality that i'm not playing a real kit, haha. So usually i crank it to fully submerge myself.

Comment

I bought a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 Isolation Headphones. I don't hear any acoutsic sound from my playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone1228 View Post
          I bought a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 Isolation Headphones. I don't hear any acoutsic sound from my playing.
          Hmm... Wonder if they'll block out Speakerphone George in the next office?
          My kit:

Comment

hahah. I might try a pair of those, Tbone. It's just that a bought a pair of super nice studio monitor headphones for my kit when i got it, so it almost feels like a waste of money. plus i have those bose noise canceling phones, maybe those will suffice, i haven't really tried them, but i've used those vic firth ones, without the speakers on them, on an acoustic kit, and they worked great.

Comment

What volume setting do you play at mate. How far have you got the knob turned round ?

For me to hear the pads Ive got to be turned way down. My cans are Audio-Technica ATH-M30 which are good for the price but not expensive.

Comment

How about lighter sticks with smaller tips......you seem to have tried everything else

Comment

I don't think about the stick sound at all. I've got the sound turned up at about 60% with mesh pads, and it doesn't really bother me. I think I notice the CY-12R/C is even louder than the CY-5 but I think I'm pretty well used to it. I still have yet to play through headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                    How about lighter sticks with smaller tips......you seem to have tried everything else
                    I use 5A's and 7A's both with and without nylon tips and can't say there is a significant difference. But I was wondering if there are any sticks which make less noise. Anyone got an idea?

Comment

There are a few way I guess you can do this. Being a hunter I have the same issue when I use my shotgun. So...... All of these options cost money BTW

1. Bose Queit and Comfort headphones - I use a 5B stick, cant hear a thing, even with no sound. I have to take the headphones off to hear the noise on the Cymbals and pads. http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-ent.../qc3/index.jsp

2. I also have a pair of very expensive Shure in ear headphones. TBH, they were crap until I got a custom ear mould made for them (although the Bose headphones are still superior) going down the Shure route with custom made earplugs is a good way to go. If your in the UK i think a few of the Opticians do them, the one's that have a hearing dept. Search for custom in ear moulds. Some examples here http://www.sensorcom.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=270
                      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                        I use 5A's and 7A's both with and without nylon tips and can't say there is a significant difference. But I was wondering if there are any sticks which make less noise. Anyone got an idea?
                        you could try using nylons whisps or brushes...even if your module doesnt support brush senses, it will trigger the brush as if it were a normal stick, and is considerably quieter. i had to do this to please a cranky neighbhour.

there are disadvantages, I broke the brushes since i was hitting too hard, and it is harder on the wrists, but it's an alternative.....
                        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyRS6 View Post
                          There are a few way I guess you can do this. Being a hunter I have the same issue when I use my shotgun...
                          ehhh, you mean you shoot the people who complain about the noise and try to do that as quiet as possible?

Originally posted by ShaggyRS6 View Post
                          I also have a pair of very expensive Shure in ear headphones. TBH, they were crap until I got a custom ear mould made for them
                          I tried Shure in ear headphones one time. I also had the problem that they sounded very bad because they didn't fit my (obviously unusual) ears. After fiddeling with them for about 10 minutes and they still didn't fit, I decided that they weren't meant for me. I also disliked that the cord is too short. I had to use an extra cable to extend it which pulls rather hard on your ears because the phones are so light.

Originally posted by saku View Post
                          you could try using nylons whisps or brushes...even if your module doesnt support brush senses, it will trigger the brush as if it were a normal stick, and is considerably quieter...
                          I didn't think of brushes, but I can give it a try.

Comment

Hi,

I have two pairs of noise-cancelling headphones:

Bose QuietComfort 2 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
                            Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Both of these do a very good job of suppressing pad sounds. In my experience, the Audio-Technica's can be used at higher volumes than the Bose. The noise-cancelling circuitry in the Bose seems more susceptible to signal overload, so a high-velocity hit may result in a brief cut-out. The Bose seem a bit more comfortable, on the other hand.

Alex (Homer)

Comment

My audio technica ATH-M50's drown out the god forsaken Rock Band toy drum set taps - and if it will do that, I'm pretty sure it will block out ANYTHING from a real kit. Good luck.
                              "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
                              X