Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to clean interior of v-drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean interior of v-drums?

Hi all.

Got a few questions on cleaning the interiors of PD-xxx shells. I have just gotten a used set that included PD-125s and PD-105s. While not abused, the set is clearly 'used'. I took off the heads to clean them, and find that the interiors are coated in a dustlike substance (mallet felt?, packing foam?) that's collected over time. Its a little clingy, doesn't come off as completely as I would like using compressed air (computer cleaner that is). Its easy to remove the baskets from the shell of course. I see the upper transducer (piezo) is easily removable (3 screws) and out. However, I can't tell how the lower piezo is retained. I'm guessing some form of glue.

Why do I describe all of this? Its because I'd like to strip all of the electronics from the basket and wash the baskets. Is this doable? Can the lower transducer be removed without harm and then remounted without altering it's performance? I've done nothing more than remove the heads and blow out the interiors at this point and I can live with that if I shouldn't proceed. However, there's a part of me that would like to clean these as best as I can IF I can. I could simply wipe these where I can reach, but I'd like to be complete if I can.

Lyle

(side note - I'm an electrical engineer, I understand the electronics of these things, just not the mechanicals yet.)
    Last edited by slyone; 08-18-08, 08:46 AM.
    and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
    VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

The rim piezo is stuck on with double-sided foam tape. You should be able to remove it with something like fishing line, dragging that along the bottom. And you can peel the remaining tape of the piezo and replace with a new piece.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

I'd guess the dust is just from wood tip sticks; a few people have told how they noticed that mesh gradually wears away wood tips. For me, that's a reason to use nylon tips on mesh heads.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
        The rim piezo is stuck on with double-sided foam tape. You should be able to remove it with something like fishing line, dragging that along the bottom. And you can peel the remaining tape of the piezo and replace with a new piece.
        Any clue about the tape? Is it like thin RC tape (servo tape)? That has a bit of sponginess to it, so I can see where something thinner might be appropriate. I can see where the more rigid the tape, the better the triggering would be.

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S

Comment

Just a quick update for anyone who might be anxiously waiting the results (chuckle). I wiped out the interiors with Windex Wipes, left the cleaning at that

Comment

Thank Zeus for that!

My set is so filthy right now I am considering bringing in a team from the EPA to handle the situation.

On the other hand, I might just leave it dirty. There is a high probability that some of that dirt is actually Pixie Dust (TM).
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
            X