Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-8 Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 Resurrection

Yesterday, a local drummer gave me a TD-8 kit for free. Before you get too excited, it is in miserable shape. I am going to have to replace rims, heads and piezos. The clamps are all cracked and the stand is wobbly.

The Module itself works great and the KD-7 is in good shape. So bonus there.

Now I get to fix what I can and figure out how to combine all this with the Mondor!
    sigpic

Couldn't have happened to a nicer or more deserving guy.

Congratulations Michael!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Yea thats going to keep you quite for a bit. HaHa. It will also give you DIY status I think.

What is a TD8 anyway. One would assume its between a 6 and a 12 (pre dating the 9)but from the impressions I get, its been around a lot longer than these kits.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
        Yea thats going to keep you quite for a bit. HaHa. It will also give you DIY status I think.

What is a TD8 anyway. One would assume its between a 6 and a 12 (pre dating the 9)but from the impressions I get, its been around a lot longer than these kits.
        ah, lets see if i get this right...

an 8 is a stripped down 10, which came after the 5 and the 7, and long before the 6 which was replaced by the 9.

simple mathematics, really....
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Roland does have a way with numbering! Here is the order:

TD-7 1992
          TD-5 1994
          TD-10 1997
          TD-8 2000
          TD-6 2001
          TD-3 2004
          TD-20 2004
          TD-12 2005
          TD-9 2008

By the way, I found some NOS Roland Heads at George's Drum Shop for $14 apiece. The bad news is that I bought them all! It turned out that all but one of the 8" heads on the TD-8 kit needed replacing. Boy was this thing abused.

So far I have the PD-80R and PD-80s and the KD-80 working again. The KD-80 foam is starting to crumble, so I may replace that.

Today is re-solder and rebuild the PD-7s. Those seem to be in the worst shape.
          sigpic

Comment

All PD-7s are fully functional. No need to replace any piezos, just had to resolder a few.

Has anyone ever converted a PD-80 to a dual-zone? I might look into that.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              Yesterday, a local drummer gave me a TD-8 kit for free. Before you get too excited, it is in miserable shape. I am going to have to replace rims, heads and piezos. The clamps are all cracked and the stand is wobbly.

The Module itself works great and the KD-7 is in good shape. So bonus there.

Now I get to fix what I can and figure out how to combine all this with the Mondor!
              How in the hell did this kit get so hammered?
              Congrats on your new project though.
              TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

[QUOTE=chiphead;329915]How in the hell did this kit get so hammered?/QUOTE]
                Good question. Some of it was obvious. He used a felt beater on the kick and it shredded the head. Other heads it was weird. The head on the PD-80R, which was used as a snare, was actually separated from the aluminum ring about half way around. I suspect that he tuned them way too loose. The one surviving head on a PD-80 was very loose.

Now how do you break the solder on a PD-7? Some of the PD-7s had rubber dust in the rim sensors and that was easy to clean. But some of the leads were completely separated. I wonder if he tried to fix them himself and broke the wires.
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats Michael. If it gets too much for you, just send it to me.
                  Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Render;329948]
                    Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                    How in the hell did this kit get so hammered?/QUOTE]
                    Now how do you break the solder on a PD-7? Some of the PD-7s had rubber dust in the rim sensors and that was easy to clean. But some of the leads were completely separated. I wonder if he tried to fix them himself and broke the wires.
                    i had a pd 7 solder joint come loose just enough to miss trigger. just needed to resolder. wow dude congrats on the free kit no matter how bad of condition it was it as we know the pads are easily servicable. plus a module that works! by the way if you cant find a place for some of that gear i have room over here.
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                    X