Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ride cymbal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ride cymbal?

Hiya,

I am in preparation for O-day (order day) for my foray into the e-drum world and will be going the v-club with expansion route. One of the things I'll need to do is get an extra cymbal (one crash and one ride won't cut it for me).

Any recommendations for/against using the Cy-6 as my ride? I know it has no bell (unless I want to hit the edge -- which I don't) so it does have that drawback. The CY-15R does seem a bit pricey and I have read here that people were having to after-mod their CYs to make the bell more sensitive.

If I get an extra CY-6 will that come will all necessary hardware? What about mounting it to the rack? Will I need to buy a cymbal stand/mount etc? Same question stands for the CY-15R...

I think the larger playing area and overall better quality of the CY-15R has me leaning that way, but I want to keep costs down and figure that a larger mesh snare would be a better route if could not do both.

I have asked about HHs for the v-club previously and will not protract that question here, but rather limit my query to the ride cymbal issue.

Any hints and tips on this front and perhaps more tips in general for good places to buy all of this at would be awesome!!!

I have decided not to do the guitar center price matching and will take my chances with UPS and go with a GOOD online retailer as per suggestions here. So, if you know a good place to get the V-club (and my add-on extras) for a rock-bottom price, I am ALL EARS!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

do a search with cy-6 being the header.lots of complaints.but then again most peeps dont post the good stuff outta the clear blue sky...
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Re: ride cymbal?

Originally posted by JeffVA
      Hiya,
      Any recommendations for/against using the Cy-6 as my ride? I know it has no bell (unless I want to hit the edge -- which I don't) so it does have that drawback. Thanks,

Jeff
      Hi Jeff, some ride-sounds on the td-6 offer a bellsound AND normal. Haven't got the module right here but I'll look it up which ones.

Groet, Cas
      DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Re: ride cymbal?

Hiya,

I have decided not to do the guitar center price matching and will take my chances with UPS and go with a GOOD online retailer as per suggestions here. So, if you know a good place to get the V-club (and my add-on extras) for a rock-bottom price, I am ALL EARS!!!

Thanks,

Jeff
        Jeff,

There have been a lot of favorable comments on this board from people who have dealt with BPM Music Express (bpmmusic.com). They seem to have the lowest prices on Roland gear along with excellent customer service.

Doug
        Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

I used the CY6 for a ride for a while, with no problems, but eventually added a Pintech SE102 dual zone, which I have used for a ride (with a dark crash on the rim) ever since. With the TD6, you can set up cymbals that have a velocity sensitive bell sound, and you can play the CY6 bell area similar to the way you play the bell on an Acymbal. My feeling, though, is that the CY6 just feels/works better as a crash. I got the V-Club several months ago, for right at $1000, after finding it at 8thstreet Music (www.8thstreet.com) for about $1065 and getting my local dealer to price match. I think Roland has started requiring dealers to only list at their recommended price now, so you might have to haggle. I don't know if you get mounting hardware if you order the CY6 separately, I suppose it depends on where you order from. I ordered a separate boom arm and clamp to add the SE102. Anyway, that's my take. I'll add this - I love the V-club! I've used it live for about a dozen shows and it sounds and plays great. My band was reluctant, at first, but now they're converts, too. You are going to have such a good time!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I just spent several hours with both the search feature and just going backwards and looking (lotsa good info, but lotsa conflicting info too).

Rhythmstik,

The SE02 looks neat and it says that it has choking features? What led you to get this?

Cheers,

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffVA; 06-27-02, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Rhythmstik,

The SE02 looks neat and it says that it has choking features? What led you to get this?

Cheers,

Jeff
              Originally, I intended to use it as a snare (I wanted the dual zone for backsticks) but I found after using it that the triggering was not reliable enough for gigging. I got a lot of false triggers and non-triggers, even after numerous adjustments to the triggering parameters and pad placement, etc. So, for now, I'm back to using a PD6 for snare with a homebrew pad on the side for backsticks. The SE102 seems to work great for me as a ride, though, as I like to be able to crash the edge a little while riding. I have fewer problems with the triggering, as well. I've sounds that are similar enough that what problems do occur are negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythmstik
                My feeling, though, is that the CY6 just feels/works better as a crash.
                ..and my opinion is that the CY-6 makes a terrific ride cymbal. Who needs all that swinging around while you're playing ride? That's what crash cymbals are supposed to do! Swing around after you bash them! Yeah! Fire! Fire!

To each his own.

If your TD-6 supports it, I second Rythmstik's suggestion to set your rim sound to one of the velocity-switching bell sounds. It works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Chuck

..and my opinion is that the CY-6 makes a terrific ride cymbal. Who needs all that swinging around while you're playing ride? That's what crash cymbals are supposed to do! Swing around after you bash them! Yeah! Fire! Fire!

Not sure I get the part about all the swinging around. The CY6 does swing (up and down) and the SE102 I'm using for a ride doesn't. That's one of the reasons I think CY-6s make a better crash than ride. I have and do use the CY-6 as a ride at times, and it works fine, but for my style of playing, I like the ride positioned kind of low (relative to the other cymbals) and I like it to remain fairly still, so the SE102 works better for me. As you said, to each his own.

Comment

I like my CY-12 ride low too. Tighten up the nut to stop it swinging about too much.

J

Comment

Working...
                    X