Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing desperate help- MIDI on TD6V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing desperate help- MIDI on TD6V

I have the TD6V. I see the MIDI on the back of the module. What can I Plug in? Is that I can Buy a separate console with multiple sounds in order to have a bass, guitar and other instruments playing and then play drums along with them in order to create music? Any suggestions?
    Other thing is that The module has limited space to connect tom toms and Cymbals. I want to expand it and have the way to connect more cymbals and add more tom toms to create a big kit, as you can do on an acoustic kit. How to do that? Need to buy another TDV6 module? And if that is the case, then I need another amplifier with speakers for that module? Is there any other device that can I use? Not an expert but wanting to have good info before going to the store and buy the first thing the salesguy is gonna offer to me, that usually is the more expensive.
    Help!!!!!! Have been searching on the web without results. I'm going crazy!!!!

ok, some quick answers until the pros arrive..

midi is usually used for two reasons...if you dont like your td6 sounds, you can use midi out from the module to midi in of a computer to trigger drum sounds in superior 2,0, BFD, or EZ drummer..or some other software...or you can use midi in to take triggers from other sources, like a midi keyboard or a drum pad, etc to trigger the td 6's sounds

first of all, if you want more toms, and dont need the tom rim sound, you can use a splitter cable to the tom inputs, and use two toms per input...but again you lose the tom rim sound. Or just assign the tom rims to sound like a tom, and adapt your technique.

You could buy a roland TMC-6 and get 6 more inputs as well which will sound your td6 sounds via the Midi in of your module, or just save and trade up to a td 12 or 20. OR you could use a drum pad like the spd-20, or an alesis module, and use midi in to trigger the td 6's sounds.

you can probably daisy chain a second td6 to your first one, via midi, and then use just the one amplifier. but if you have the money for two td 6, isnt it better and easier to get a td12 or a 20?

if you want the sounds of a guitar and bass etc to play along to, you can feed them into the mix-in input on your module, for instance via a cd player or an ipod.

I am not in the same room as the td6 manual i have, but read the sections on midi and mix in again, and if you need help, I can go find the manual...
    I started myself with a td 6, and move up to a 9, and am saving money for somethign even bigger in the future!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Hi Saku

Reading your post with interest, as I have a TD3 brain but want to expand my kit. I'm going to have at least 8 drums (inc snare & BD) + 2 different sounding crashes, a splash, ride & china. Plus a HH of course! Would also like some scope for exspansion beyond that, IE Gloc, cowbells, etc.

Is this poss by daisychaining via MIDI on a TD3 or do I need a TD6 (or above) to be able to map the MIDI sounds?

Wish I could have another acoustic kit - would be alot simpler!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbarwell View Post
        Hi Saku

Reading your post with interest, as I have a TD3 brain but want to expand my kit. I'm going to have at least 8 drums (inc snare & BD) + 2 different sounding crashes, a splash, ride & china. Plus a HH of course! Would also like some scope for exspansion beyond that, IE Gloc, cowbells, etc.

Is this poss by daisychaining via MIDI on a TD3 or do I need a TD6 (or above) to be able to map the MIDI sounds?

Wish I could have another acoustic kit - would be alot simpler!!
        I count 16 or so inputs there! Double TD-20s anyone! My understanding is that the TD-3 does NOT have a percussion set, and therefore the TMC and a new module via MIDI cannot trigger additional sounds (I'm quoting BarT discussing the TMC 6 and the TD 3). So it sounds like you are going to need a new module, which you can daisychain via the mix-in input.

and a bigger drum rack as well!

Here is what you REALLY want:

http://www.michaelrender.com/MII/MII.html

Good luck!
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Thanks Saku

Thank You Saku. I decided to go for the TMC6 for US $300,(new) to add 3 more cymbals and 1 tom tom and is working great. All the info was really helpfull. By the way, watched 1 of your videos and you're doing it good.
          Bye

Comment

Interesting stuff! Like the idea of the TMC6.

Anyone tried MIDIing an Alesis module to a TD6? Was wondering as these are fairly cheap second hand buy. Is there a maximum number of inputs that can be used via MIDI to sound TD6 sounds?

Comment

Originally posted by sbarwell View Post
              Is there a maximum number of inputs that can be used via MIDI to sound TD6 sounds?
              With a TD-6 the restriction is more which sounds you could assign. You could trigger up to 79 different sounds in a single TD-6 percussion set via MIDI without affecting the 20 directly connected heads/rims.

Bruce

Comment

I use a TD7 Daisy chained into my TD6 - and assign the midi signals from the TD7 as the Rims of the TD6 drum set. This means I can only have single trigger toms / cymbals (except my ride which I built a bell trigger for as well) and it's a lot of messing about, but it works great!

I'm probably just going to sell them both and buy an Alesis Trigger IO though, seems easier to me and I'm beginning to appreciate the sounds of BFD much more than the TD6 ones
                7 Piece A to E Kit conversion - TD6&TD7 Linked,
                7 Piece Taye Studiomaple + Zildjian & Wuhan :)

http://www.myspace.com/0011101000101001code

Comment

Working...
                X