Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this how Roland should have built the frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this how Roland should have built the frame?

I bought a 21" curved roland bar with factory end joints. Then mounted them to the lower portion of the frame which has a lot of un-used space. I removed the straight platform bar from the stock KD-80 and mounted it directly to the 21" bar. The stability is amazing. No more kick drum getting away from me or constantly adjusting the pedal. If someone has done this or covered it, I apologize. See the pic for reference.
    Attached Files

Are you having any problems with false triggering of your other pads?

Kits: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/DSC00008.jpg

Currently Favourite Drum Song:

Comment

This is a technique adopted generally by the low budget electronic drum kit manufacturers. I assume its not as good to have the bass drum mounted, but also I imagine it saves money and time by just mounting a pad to the frame like all the others...

Comment

Very interesting solution. However, by locking it down, the rack is dictating where your pedal is placed. You cannot move the pedal/kick pad further from your seat, you'll need to back off the kit.

Comment

Maybe a little OT, but I have a KD-8 wich came with my TD-9KX set. I noticed that it only has velcro on the bottom of the back leg and not on the front leg. I have my kit on top of a small carpet and I notice when I'm hitting the kick really good (mostly I play rock or pop songs), the front part of the KD-8 lifts itself. At first I had the beater set up just in front of the KD-8, but your can hear it quite well when the metal of the lifting KD-8 hits the metal of the beater and that is not wanted when you're playing in quiet mode (at odd times with your headphones). Anyone else noticed this too?

Comment

Great points guys. The metal/hardware on the original KD80 making a lot of noise in 'silent mode' was one of the many reasons why I made the modifications. Yes, it pulls the pedal back a little, which requires the seat to come back. It is sooooo much sturdier than the standard way that I think I can get used to the minor adjustments. It makes the entire kit sturdier as would any crossmember would on any frame or application.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
              Maybe a little OT, but I have a KD-8 wich came with my TD-9KX set. I noticed that it only has velcro on the bottom of the back leg and not on the front leg. I have my kit on top of a small carpet and I notice when I'm hitting the kick really good (mostly I play rock or pop songs), the front part of the KD-8 lifts itself. At first I had the beater set up just in front of the KD-8, but your can hear it quite well when the metal of the lifting KD-8 hits the metal of the beater and that is not wanted when you're playing in quiet mode (at odd times with your headphones). Anyone else noticed this too?
              Even with a "lifting KD-8" I don't understand how the metal of the beater can hit any metal on the KD-8. But if it's lifting at all, then I don't think you have set it up as described on Page 9 of the KD-8 manual "Adjusting the Foot Plate Height"; which requires removing the front foot plate and reattaching it once the kick pedal is flat on the floor.

But didn't you mean that the KD-8 has Velcro on the bottom of the front part but not the back part? (I suppose it depends what your definition of front and back is!)

Bruce
              Last edited by BarT; 07-30-08, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I did this with my older set too. If this puts the pad too far away, you can have the lower bar curve in towards you or find the correct length straight bar. The drum pads can be adjusted so the L arms are on the front or the rear of the pipe clamp. I found it easy to clamp on the bass pad and adjust the rest of the kit so it was to my liking. I actually wish the TD-20 basses were like the KD-80 so I could do this. I have considered a KD-85, but I like the feel of the bigger bass pad. I like having as much of the kit on the rack as possible so when it is time to quickly strike the stage for another band two guys can lift the whole thing off.
                **New kit construction complete. Pangea is born**SPD-S, Malletkat Express w/ Kurzweil PC-2R, Mackie DFX-12 mixer and a pair JBL EON G2 15" amps with an Eon 518-S Sub.

11pc. Pearl kit with custom marble swirl finish, and Sabian Cymbals.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X