Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Journey's Deen Castronovo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey's Deen Castronovo

Wednesday (23rd) I attended the Cheap Trick/Heart/Journey concert at the Zoo Amphitheater in Oklahoma City. I won't go too much into detail about how poorly the event staff/promotor operated the venue (100 degrees outside and the line to get in was a 1 1/2 hour wait because there were only 4 entrance lanes, very limited medical staff and people were passing out in the line that went on forever)... But.. even with all the bad, the show was EXCELLENT!!!!!! I could go on and on about the sound, the music, the vocals, but c'mon.. We're drummers, let's talk drumming!!

Deen Castronovo is a WILD man... The dude rocks! I'm not a newb as it relates to Journey...I've seen them several times in the past few years and have seen Deen play before, but I gotta tell ya, he's ELEVATED his game..

First of all, I didn't think anyone could replace Steve Smith... Steve brought a very soulful, sexy rhythm to Journey... But Deen brings a whole new dimension of ROCK to Journey.. I thought I was watching Shannon Larkin from Godsmack playing... I know Deen has a metal background, but the last few times I saw Journey, he didn't play with such a kick... AND, he was having a blast!!!

My ONLY complaint about the music was that Journey was so loud the vocals were distorted..... Heart was just as good as Journey and the vocals (Ann Wilson is incredible) were fantastic and very clear...

Reminds me of two years ago when I saw Journey/Def Leppard and Journey sounded great and DL sounded terrible due to the soundboard/system...

In any event... I took my 14 year-old and he was in awe.. Now he's begging me for a new (better) guitar...

So, does that mean no idiots, no fights, no drugs and no flashing??? Just heat???

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39940
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Deen Castronovo

I've been a long time Journey fan and was also skeptical when Deen took over the drums from Steve Smith. Can only say I've been totally impressed with his ability, especially when he sings tough lead vocals and intricate drum parts at the same time. The new album Revelation has a DVD of them live and he sings Mother, Father. Sends chills up my spine. I think it's the current issue of Modern Drummer that has an interview with him. Also outlines his latest drum setup.
      Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Hey , just out of curiosity...I was never a Journey fan, but it just seems like "No Steve Perry...no Journey". Sorta like Queen with Paul Rogers...blech (no offense to Rogers, but totally wrong fit!). How do they sound with this other guy?
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
          How do they sound with this other guy?
          A friend was really impressed with their new CD/DVD and their Perry replacement. He insisted I borrow it. I can see why he was impressed. The new guy, Arnel Pineda from the Phillipines, is as close to Perry as you are going to get. It was a little weird when I first saw his pic since the voice didn't match my expectations on his appearance but he definitely has some pipes! Hopefully this 15 second clip is legal. If not, my apologies mods, please remove. You can check out longer clips on wal-mart or similar web-sites.

Pineda
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hey , just out of curiosity...I was never a Journey fan, but it just seems like "No Steve Perry...no Journey". Sorta like Queen with Paul Rogers...blech (no offense to Rogers, but totally wrong fit!). How do they sound with this other guy?
            They sound fantastic. Arnel's vocals rival Perry's and his energy on stage is contagious! He really gets the crowd in to the performance.. I've seen Journey now with all three replacement lead singers and to be honest, they all have sounded like Steve Perry. Great show... I highly recommend it.. Just not at the OKC Zoo Amphitheater..

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
              So, does that mean no idiots, no fights, no drugs and no flashing??? Just heat???

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39940
              Well..... Drugs were there.. But not overwhelming.. Went to Boston/Styx last month and left there STARVING, if ya know what I mean... Major smokin'... This time, it wasn't so bad... No flashing (at least where we were) and didn't see any fights.

The heat SUCKED, but we knew going in it was an outdoor summer concert. If the Zoo would've just prepared for the sold out crowd, maybe the experience would've been 100% positive..

I really thought my son would like Journey the best, but he actually thought Heart was better... And soundwise, they were... Their sound system was alot better.. Journey was soooooo loud, they overmodulated and blasted over the vocals.. I can definately say, "They rocked!".. More than ever before..

Comment

Steve Perry/Journey

Journey is different without Steve Perry in the mix. Not just the voice, but the songwriting as well. The current album is mainly just Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain writing all the songs, much like their Arrival CD. Don't get me wrong, they write some great stuff but having a third creative input is what really can make it great. I really liked Steve Augeri who was there after Steve Perry but before Arnel. He has an awesome voice with a little more of an edge to it but could still pull off the ballads. When he got involved in songwriting for the Generations CD, I felt they really had the start of something good. Too bad he got so sick from all the touring and could never really recover without leaving.

Steve Smith was only interested in staying with Journey as long as they had the classic line up. Otherwise, Vital Information and his other projects were where his heart was at. That's when Deen came on board. His interview in Modern Drummer is a good read.

All that being said, the Journey show must go on. I know all the fans would love to see Steve Perry and Steve Smith come back, but hey, it doesn't look likely.
                Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Deen has got chops and some good pipes! Of course, Steve Perry is one of the greatest male vocalists of all-time, but Journey does very well in their new incarnation.

Deen on "Mother, Father" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk1djN4SMP4

Steve
                  Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                  Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                  Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                  DW Hardware

Comment

Originally posted by Drumzilla View Post
                    All that being said, the Journey show must go on. I know all the fans would love to see Steve Perry and Steve Smith come back, but hey, it doesn't look likely.
                    Well, folks said that when Bruce ****enson left Iron Maiden and we Maiden fans had two suffer through those two disasters with Blaze Bayley as lead singer. I'm so glad ****enson came back. Maybe Perry will too.
                    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I have a friend that auditioned for Journey and accually got offered the job but then decided to pass . Neil Shohn and Jonathan Cain came to Charlotte NC to see the Band and then he went to LA and hung out with the guys. He did get to cowrite on 3 songs on the new album including the new single.
                      He said he liked everyone in the band and they all liked him except Neil Schon he said Neil had some reservation for some reason. He took that as he would have trouble down the road plus he had a new baby on the way and the new tour would take him pretty much around the world .
                      There is a link below to the band Jeremy is in and a reveiw and sound bites from the band ( Myspace). It's a Journey tribute band called Frontiers.
                      I set in for the old drummer every once in a while but they just hired a new guy and went full time.
                      You can read the story about his audition on the MYspace. He is a really good singer when it comes to Journey but he cannot do anything else . Everything he sings sounds like Steve Perry singing it.
                      I agree Deen does a Great job, I read the interview in Modern Drummer and he gives allot of props to Steve Smith and even said he had Steve come to his house and show him some of his Signature likes he used on the original recordings.
                      He also said the Drummer from Styx was one of the Best drummers he has heard . HE went as far to say that when Journey toured with Styx that Todd wiped the floor with him every night .
                      I have a friend that is promoting and doing prodution for a Styx show here where I live so I plan on going to see first hand and maybe picking his brain in the catering area before the show .
                      If this guys is wiping the floor with Deen I want to talk to him LOL..

http://www.journeytributeband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zekedrum View Post
                        He also said the Drummer from Styx was one of the Best drummers he has heard . HE went as far to say that when Journey toured with Styx that Todd wiped the floor with him every night .
                        Todd Sucherman is just awesome. I didn't know much about him until after I saw the live concert video Styx did with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra. I was blown away and had to find out more about him.

You can check out Todd on his Web site here:
                        http://www.toddsucherman.com/about.htm
                        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                          Todd Sucherman is just awesome. I didn't know much about him until after I saw the live concert video Styx did with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra. I was blown away and had to find out more about him.

You can check out Todd on his Web site here:
                          http://www.toddsucherman.com/about.htm

Thanks for the link, I have heard of him but I was never a big Styx fan . I saw Styx back years ago when they did the whole "MR Roboto" crap and it was really sad so I have been turn off ever since. I know Todd Sucherman replaced the original drummer since his passing away and haven't seen Styx since then .
                          I did like some of there earlier stuff though.

Comment

FWIW - Todd Sucherman's got a new drumming DVD coming out ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqeuQ3JZbE

What a phenominal player. The drum room in this promo is fab too.

Steve
                            Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                            Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                            Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                            DW Hardware

Comment

Originally posted by sshu View Post
                              FWIW - Todd Sucherman's got a new drumming DVD coming out
                              Very cool. Thanks for the heads up. I might have to pick that one up when it comes out.

So, do you think all the animals in the forest were a little pissed with all the drumming out by the river that morning?
                              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Working...
                              X