Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy Joel at Shea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Joel at Shea

Great concert. Sound was surprisingly good. He brought on a few special guests, Tony Bennett, Don Henley, John Mellencamp and John Mayer (not impressed with Mayer but the others were great).

He played a few Beatles songs, and I got my hopes up that Paul (and Ringo?) would also join him on stage but that did not happen.

He played for 3+ hours w/o a break.

Liberty Devito was not there. I believe the drummer was the same guy from the Broadway Show (Moving Out?) I have a Modern Drummer where they interviewed that drummer and it's definitely the same kit (White Tama with Gong Bass Drum and some Octabans).

Sounds like a pretty cool concert and great value too. I'm a big BJ fan and would've loved to have been there

Comment

Yes, it was great. They did film last night and there will be a DVD out.

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
        Liberty Devito was not there. I believe the drummer was the same guy from the Broadway Show (Moving Out?) I have a Modern Drummer where they interviewed that drummer and it's definitely the same kit (White Tama with Gong Bass Drum and some Octabans).
        That would be Chuck Burgi. Chuck has played with Brand X, Rainbow and many others. Solid drummer.
        JB in NJ

"Ding" - Neil Peart, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres I. Prelude

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
          Yes, it was great. They did film last night and there will be a DVD out.
          Very cool. I'll keep an eye out for it

Comment

Thanks for the info njdreamer. He was more agressive than Liberty, good drummer.

Comment

You're correct that he (Chuck) played in the Broadway show "Movin' Out".
              When Liberty was out as Billy Joel's drummer, Chuck Burgi was asked to fill the spot.
              My former drum teacher Joe Bergamini auditioned and got the "Movin' Out" gig and also did the Movin' Out Tour. Joe currently plays several shows a week for "Jersey Boys" and "In the Heights", two of the hottest tickets on Broadway.
              JB in NJ

"Ding" - Neil Peart, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres I. Prelude

Comment

Cool. Apparetly Billy and Liberty had some sort of falling out.

Comment

Jusyt found out that Paul McCartney joined Billy and the gang for the last few minutes of the second show. Man I am bummed about missingout on that!

Comment

That would be awesome to see Billy Joel. 3+ hour concert is nice.
                    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Just spent a fortune on pre-release tickets for his concert in Brisbane in December. Tickets go on sale today.
                      . digitalDrummer
                      Review index

Comment

Its a great show, and the band was tight! Enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                        X