Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Ubuntu OS here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canerican
    replied
    I have thought about dual booting between OS X and another OS, I was thinking XP... Just to run some extra software and games not available for OS X (however I only have a MacBook, so no dedicated Video card)... Let me know how it works for you Tom.

Leave a comment:

• KnipeDrums
    replied
    I just saw that Ubuntu has released Ubuntu Studio, video and sound oriented OS.

Leave a comment:

• telengard
    replied
    I've been running it for my desktop for a few years now (having switched from slackware -> debian -> ubuntu). Also runs on my server. I love it!

If only I could do my music stuff on it.

~telengard

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    I run a web server for a few small websites I host.
    I find it to be very stable, and extremely user friendly.

Code:
    The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
    applicable law.

root:~# uptime
     18:29:18 up 195 days,  7:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    If you can think of it, you can bet there is good open source software available.

Good luck with it Tom.

Leave a comment:

• Fig Newton
    replied
    HeyTom!
    I have one running (Feisty Fawn) on a Print Server, and running VMWare for Windows apps.
    Stable, and great on resources.

Leave a comment:

• KnipeDrums
    started a topic Anyone using Ubuntu OS here

Anyone using Ubuntu OS here

I downloaded it and have installed it to double boot on my Vista machine, I am tired of MS's slowest OS ever and dont see it getting any better.

So far my thouhts on the Linux OS are positive and the applications fly. I am wondering if there is open source recording software that will run with Linux or Ubuntu?

Anyones long term observations would be very welcome.

To me its more important to have a stable platform, cost is not an issue but stability is.

I would go MAC but I have 5 premium pc's in the house and would rather wait for MAC until my hardware is outdated. Thanks, Tom
Working...
X