Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What inspired you to play drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What inspired you to play drums?

What inspired you to play drums?

When I was 13, We used to play air guitar, drums ect. to our favorite bands. One of the guys mentioned wouldn't be cool if we could really play (We were all like.. yeah). From that point we all asked our parents for musical instruments and mine were drums.
    Also watching John Bonham and Kieth moon.

Vinny
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

I think the thing or person that inspired me the most was my uncle and his band. He was a drummer for a band when i was a little kid so i was always around live music. So I picked up that from him, of course i was into music anyway he just gave me the boost I needed. That and listening to Zeps "Black Dog" on the juke box of my favorite pizza shop daily.

Comment

I was forbidden since I was a small sprog to even mention having a drum kit, on threat of immediately being left for gypsies....so as soon as i had the money and the room, I got meself a drum kit!
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Cool thread Vinny.

The thing that got me into drums was my desire to create better drum tracks for my music. I've been playing other instruments now for more than 20 years with keyboards / piano being my main instrument and would play drum parts on one of my synths. Either that or I would program drum tracks into Reason.
        I have always had the desire to play drums as well and would play 'air drums' to my favourite tracks while doing other things.

Then I heard about V Drums after doing some initial research looking for trigger to midi converters to use with my keyboards and Reason. Prior to that, I had no idea E drums had evolved so much and immediately made a decision to buy a V kit.
        That was only a year ago and I have discovered that drums come naturally to me and I love playing them, hence the rapid expansion of my kit!!!

Comment

Hey, this is an interesting thread.

Although most keyboard/piano players seem to hate these songs, and calling you a stupid a.. for even liking them, music got my interest when I heard Van Halen's Jump and also OMD's Enola Gay. I wanted to play that, so I wanted a keyboard! (By the way: I absolutely hated the piano that time (I wanted to play a keyboard/synth, not a stupid piano!) and nowadays I play more and more acoustic and also electric piano sounds and less keyboard sounds on my DP).

So I bought one and started playing, learning everything (notes, chords, reading staff music, etc) by myself. As I was also using computers for a hobby and a (starting) living, I got into connecting the keyboards to a pc and started sequencing, using midi and music software. Recreating existing or creating new music, I had to make my own music tracks, also drums. So I soon learned about the standard rock 8th notes rock patterns, with a a hihat on the the 8th notes, the kick on 1 and 3 and a snare on 2 and 4 and variations with 8th and 16th notes, and then triplets, 32th's, shuffles, etc.

That's what made me want to play drums, the feeling of creating a beat or groove. My girlfriend also mentioned several times she would enjoy playing the drums. So, more or less with her in mind, I finally, after about 15 years playing keyboard/piano, got me a TD-9KX just over 2 months ago. Ironically, she never plays it, only I do .

And, though I'm not nearly as good as SP, drumming also seems to fit me like a glove. Of course I have to learn playing, but probably because of the keyboard/piano/sequencing experience, I already have an idea what sound I want and how to create and I have also learned indepence of using both hands and feet. So it all comes very natural.

Comment

Wow SP you have that big kit after only a year. That is cool. You have a nice set-up. It is like a wall of drums.
            Thanks for responding.

Vinny
            Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Edit:Edit:
              Last edited by CLK; 07-11-08, 05:40 PM.

Comment

My story

Well for my part...

Started playing different instruments at school brass, strings that kind of thing then one day found and old beat up jazz kit so I re skinned it with my own money and the trumpet teacher gave me a few lesson for about 6 months then I was on my own.

Played in lots of bands over the years and now play for my own enjoyment but my true passion is the works of Genesis, I can identify with Phil Collins being a lefty myself although not a massive fan of his solo work.

Only been playing Roland drums for around a year but with lots of reading especially on here I can now see a way to re create most of the Genesis sound and feel but can't quite afford a TD12 and a Roland Fantom system they use yet..lol

I will settle for re creating the sound of the Gretsch kit that Phil uses with the concert toms.

N.
                TD-12 VEX TMC-6 A2E kit 16 pieces and growing and a cursed left handed child of the devil.

Comment

The drummer for Elvis at my very first big coliseum concert in 1976. I was 8 years old and the drummer was Ronnie Tutt. While I had already been playing for a few years (bugs bunny kit! ) and had been taking piano since 5, I knew then drumming was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I bought my first Pearl snare a year later with my own money and began drum lessons at 10 in 5th grade... Had a drumset less than a year later and was jamming to Peart (2112/ATWAS) and Bozzio (Zappa/UK) by 1979/80.
                  Alan
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

My mum reckons I was banging around on buckets, boxes and tins at the age of 4,
                      that was 1952. OK so Im an old git, but its the primevil rythm that we've all got that could not be surpressed. By the early 60s I was well into it. What a time that was. One humungous musical explosion. Girls, jamming. drinks, weed, so many venues. I got into the whole euthoria and never looked back.

Comment

Bullet with butterfly wings - Smashing pumpkins

Comment

5th and 6th grade I played saxophone. Lugging that thing in its case to school and back twice a week was insane. I noticed that the drummers only needed to carry sticks.
                          That, and the flute section had more interest in the percussion section than the other woodwinds...if you know what I mean.
                          Moved to percussion in the 7th grade. Each girlfriend I had in high school played flute. It worked!

Comment

My father was a drummer in a dance band way before I was born and he was always tapping with his knife at dinnertime, so I guess "the beat" got embedded in me from my first consciousness.......I tried guitar for many years in my youth but could never make it sound like I wanted it to - one night in a studio the other guitarists were really good and there was no drummer so I had a go on the studio kit and was hooked.

Comment

My mom taught piano, and I took lessons early on, but my earliest memories of drumming inspiration were watching Buddy Rich playing with Doc Severenson and the Mighty Carson Art Players on the Johnny Carson Show in the late 60's. He was at the top of his game then, and I remember once he was playing a solo, juggling the sticks, etc., and faked getting the tip of one of his sticks caught in the latticework behind the kit, working it in perfectly with the flow of the solo. It looked to me like the most fun a person could be legally be allowed to have, and I was almost right .

I begged my mom to buy me some drums. On one of our regular excursions to the Horn Shop (Corpus Christi's major music store), she had one of the clerks to "show this young man what you learn to drum on". He showed me a Remo practice pad. I remember thinking "It's more like a drum that anything I have now" and said "That's fine with me". I think my mom knew all was lost at that point. She made me keep taking piano lessons for another year, but by junior high I had managed to finagle a basic Ludwig kit and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                              X