Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quick record files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick record files

hello all,
    I just got my new td 9s set for 1375 dollars (score!), and i want to quick record some songs and then save to my USB memory stick. I saved the song to the stick, and im sure its on there, but how do i play it on my computer? what kind of file is it/how do i play it? i would like to turn it into an MP3 or some easily read file so I can send it to my dad so he can listen to it!

thanks for the help

Did you record the song on the module? If so, its recorded as midi. Best thing to do is get yourself an MP3 player that can record. I have the iRiver H120 which was around 80 pounds and it can record via line in, optical in or with an Internal/External mic. Not a lot of money for what it offers and it can record as MP3 or WAV format.

Im sure there are other players that can record out there if you look around. Its an easy option for recording and very portable, plus the fact its has the drag and drop ability to your computer.

As for the song you have just done, try and record it straight to your computer via the line outs of the module to the input on your computer.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
    *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

i thought i saved the quick record on the USB stick. When i put the stick into my comp, the roland file comes up, and then there is a weird file in there, but it doesnt have anything to open it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrod212 View Post
        i thought i saved the quick record on the USB stick. When i put the stick into my comp, the roland file comes up, and then there is a weird file in there, but it doesnt have anything to open it.
        It is not a sound file. It is similar to a midi file (actually a proprietary Roland file), meaning it is just codes that tell the module what trigger to play and how loud.
        The good news: You can save those files and replay them with ANY kit that is in the module. Create a new kit? You can call up the recording and listen to it using that new kit.
        The bad news: Since it is not a sound file, it is not playable on anything but the module.
        The recommendation: run your audio out directly into the computer and record the sound file with a cheap (or free) recording program.

Comment

what type of cord would i need to do that?

Comment

You most likely have a mic input or audio input on your computer, and it is 1/8". You will need a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo cable. Make sure both ends are stereo. To verify each end will have TWO black bands in the silver connector area, instead of just one.

Example is here:
            http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--HOSCMS1

Comment

You most likely have a mic input or audio input on your computer, and it is 1/8". You will need a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo cable. Make sure both ends are stereo. To verify each end will have TWO black bands in the silver connector area, instead of just one.

Example is here:
              http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--HOSCMS1

There's two ways to hook it up.
              1 Plug the 1/4" end into the left line out on the side of the module (it will produce stereo if the right line out is left empty) and run the 1/8" into the audio-in on the computer. You can monitor either through the headphone jack on the module, or with thte headphone jack on the computer.
              2 Plug the 1/4" into the headphone-out on the module and plug the 1/8" into the computer. Monitor is only able through the computer headphone jack.

Comment

awesome thanks!

Comment

ok, so i got the cable i need, and im pretty sure i have it plugged into the module correctly, throught the right output. where do i put the other end into my computer? i do have a soundcard, and i have been trying to fit it into random holes in my comp to see if it will produce sound. which hole do i put it into?

Comment

Working...
                  X