Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock band drummer wanabe story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock band drummer wanabe story.

The other day I was pounding on my v-drums with the door closed and headphones on oblivious to everything. One of my wife's relatives stopped by with there 16 year old who asked "what's that noise" to which my wife replied "that's my husband playing his electronic drums" The kid replies "I play electronic drums almost every day" My wife burst out laughing" knowing he was referring to his PS 3...Don't get me wrong I think rock band is a good teaching and recruiting tool for young drummers but it is more video game then instrument. I keep having visions of drummers showing up at a gig or audition with an X-box.
    Last edited by cstoliker; 06-30-08, 07:18 AM.
    TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Real drums are for old people.

Did you consider mentoring him and turning him onto "real" drums instead of discounting his interest in drums?

With that said, one of the funniest SouthPark episodes is Guitar Queero. I still remember the kid demonstrating his new guitar solo, click, click click-click, click, clickity-click...

I was at the Rush concert the other night and they actually had a sound clip from that show. The dad says, "I can acutally play some of these songs on my real guitar" which the kid responded, "real guitars are for old people."

Comment

I know what you mean man. I have a friend that has Rock Band and he likes to play the drums. I think, he thinks he can really play the drums. Sometimes he'll nail a difficult passage then look at me like "See what I did". I just pretend like I'm not even watching. It's very annoying to me. I like Guitar Hero and Rock band is ok, but I do kinda hate the drums.
      TD-6V Module, 3 PD-8s (soon to be 4), 2 CY-8s (soon to be 3), 1 CY-5, KD-8 with double Left footed Pearl Eliminators, FD-8 HH control.

Comment

To quote what someone said to me in another thread they are all real drums, they are not imaginary
        Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

There is actually a very good article on RockBand drumming in the new Modern Drummer p 140. It was from a drum instructor whose student has been playing the game. The student requested that she be able to use colored pencils on the sheet music. By making the notes the color of the RockBand notes, she was playing stuff she could never play before. I thought it was an interesting article. The colors are easier for her brain to process than just the sheet notes due to the hours spent on the game. By the way, I love the game

Comment

To quote what someone said to me in another thread they are all real drums, they are not imaginary

Oh, yeah? Then, what are the invisible drums on your dashboard and steering wheel, that you play when you're driving? LOL
            (Have you seen the Mr. Bean YouTube video, where he plays "Invisible Drums"? That is the funniest thing ever!!!!)

My buddy's grandson plays Guitar Hero, with the same attitude (I'm good and I know it!), until my buddy bought him a Fender strat and practice amp!
            Now he's not so confident, since he's learned the difference between Playing a Video Game, and Playing a Musical Instrument!

Comment

One of the most annoying aspects of it is trying to find drum instructional videos on you tube. Seams no matter what you type in anymore you find 100 videos of Tom sawyer being played on rock band. Which it seams even on the highest difficulty level has been dumbed down a bit to where only the most pronounced hi hat accents are included.

Anyway like I said I was oblivious anyone was even there. If I had known I would have been happy to let him sit behind my V-drums or even my acoustic kit.

Speaking of the RUSH concert, How was it? I am going this SAT. I thought it was going to be an extension of the last tour but there seam to be some changes?
              TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Originally posted by JamSolo View Post
                (Have you seen the Mr. Bean YouTube video, where he plays "Invisible Drums"? That is the funniest thing ever!!!!)
                I love Mr Bean! Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sf_pogZ8jE

I found it by accident not long ago when I watched the invisible piano player bit he did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd0UAdpBNUg

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have to say there's a girl about my age that works at a local chain restaurant near me that looks just like Rowan Atkinson aka Mr Bean. Yes, a girl. She hears it all the time she says, at least from people that know her well enough to know she wouldn't take that as an insult. A few went as far as to tell her that she could do the celebrity lookalike bit, and I even gave her the contact info for one of the biggest outfits that do lookalikes 'cause I've done events with them before. She's a sweetheart but says she would be too stage shy to do anything like that though.

Comment

Originally posted by cstoliker View Post
                  Speaking of the RUSH concert, How was it? I am going this SAT. I thought it was going to be an extension of the last tour but there seam to be some changes?
                  I hadn't listened to Rush in years. I was really glad I went to the concert, it was awesome and brought back some great memories. Neil Peart was great.

My only dissapointment though was the electronic kit part of the drum solo. I noticed some Roland cymbals, but I was disappointed that the electronic kit seemed to be there to sound like, an electronic kit with sound affects. And that makes sense since he already has a beautiful acoustic kit, but I would have like to see him play an electronic kit and get some great percussion sounds, if that makes sense...

I've seen a lot of bands over the past 5 days of SummerFest. Candlebox last night was great! Not one band playing a Roland kit yet though.

Comment

Sometimes all you can do is laugh, because it hurts too much to cry. Our society has glorified form over substance to the point where a lot of people think all you have to do is look like you're doing something cool and people should be impressed. Is it any wonder that a generation of kids who get trophies for being on the loosingest team in little league think it's an accomplishment to get to the end of a song in Triangle Hero (great spoof I saw on TV)?

Hand them a guitar or sit them down at a kit. Let reality teach them the difference.

Comment

Remember that attitude the next time an acoustic player looks at your e-kit and thinks you should try playing "real" drums.

Comment

I hate these games. ITS A PLASTIC CONTROLLER! All it is is dance mat revolution made into a bigger, more expensive form.

Comment

Playing rockband is fun. Especially when a big group of people get together and everyone takes turns playing (It is great watching their reactions). I think rockband can inspire youngers kids to wanna try playing an instrument someday. And if it don't it is just another game to play when they play their playstation or x-box.
                          Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Awww people have been griping about the younger generation for thousands of years.

They are kids. And they are annoying. Just like we were. Pretentious, arrogant, cocky, ignorant...

It's okay to play at something, that is what play is all about. Nobody told me my little cars and trucks were a joke and I should get a real car. (Well at least not when I was 6.) If you notice, many toys are based on adult life. Kids love to play at being grown up. Toy kitchens, animals, space suits, guns, cars, etc. They all mimic adult life.

So sure. Maybe you are talking about teenagers and 20-somethings. But it comes down to the same thing. Imitating reality.

I'd be more worried if they wouldn't pick up after themselves or didn't know how to cook...
                            . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
                              Awww people have been griping about the younger generation for thousands of years.

They are kids. And they are annoying. Just like we were. Pretentious, arrogant, cocky, ignorant...

It's okay to play at something, that is what play is all about. Nobody told me my little cars and trucks were a joke and I should get a real car. (Well at least not when I was 6.) If you notice, many toys are based on adult life. Kids love to play at being grown up. Toy kitchens, animals, space suits, guns, cars, etc. They all mimic adult life.

So sure. Maybe you are talking about teenagers and 20-somethings. But it comes down to the same thing. Imitating reality.

I'd be more worried if they wouldn't pick up after themselves or didn't know how to cook...

Well put.....
                              Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Working...
                              X