Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas prices VS the gig

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gas prices VS the gig

    Okay, go ahead and groan. I know a lot of you are not in the US and are used to high fuel prices, but this is going to hit us hard in the US. My band works on contracts made 6-8 month in advance. The music buyers for our market, primarily Northern Nevada are poised ready to cancel gigs and are reluctant to sign new contracts because they assume the crowds will not come because of the gas prices. In the states, if you set your music up as a business you can deduct the fuel prices off your taxes, but you still need to pay at the pump. We just did a two casino loop in to Nevada and back. My trip meter had 1436 miles on it for this excursion. Average gas price was $4.29 and my mini van gets 20 MPG. That's $308 for gas in one of our vehicles and our band uses two cars. This hurts our business.
    Is anybody out their experiencing similar situations? Are the clubs cutting back in your area? Are contracts being canceled? Is it becomming harder to get to the gig?

  • #2
    I am turning down more work. Especially if it is far. My Van with trailer gets 10MPG. The gig better pay really well for that. And they don't, so I don't go.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm with you Eddy. While we're certainly not paying as much as you, we are paying the equivalent of $7 per gallon over here on average.
        I wish we could get fuel as cheap as Americans are getting it right now!

        Comment


        • #5
          Big engines

          Beats me why the USA make such huge engine blocks bigger than my house, my last van was a 1.7 diesel and did 50 to the gallon and even my car now will do 32-35 and i moan at that...i mean 10 mpg? the Space Shuttle does more than that ... how about a scooter?
          WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
          YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
          FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
          :eek: ...
          Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
          Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

          Comment


          • #6
            Dave, I am seriously considering getting a scooter

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone who is the least bit pissed about gas prices should watch a documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car?", then you will be really upset when you find out that we could be driving incredibly efficient electric cars that don't use an ounce of gasoline. If the electric car program were allowed to continue, I am sure that they would have been able to develop an electric van or SUV by now that could accommodate touring musicians. But screw progress, we can just permanently tear up some protected wildlife areas to get an extra ten years of petroleum, and then worry about it when that finally runs out...sorry, that was very opinionated but the subject was already put out there and I just can't keep my big mouth shut (or my fingers from typing in this case)...and of course I am being sarcastic!

              The WORST part about this whole topic is the realization that Big Oil executives are depleting our society's ability to enjoy live musical performances.
              Last edited by cheapthrill; 06-12-08, 02:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                mmm

                SP in leathers mmm that works he he well we saw that guys kit last week on wheels, maybe u can add a small engine to the drum cage and ride that baby, he he

                I do love scooters though, they are seriously cute.
                WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                :eek: ...
                Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                  Anyone who is the least bit pissed about gas prices should watch a documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car?", then you will be really upset when you find out that we could be driving incredibly efficient electric cars that don't use an ounce of gasoline. If the electric car program were allowed to continue, I am sure that they would have been able to develop an electric van or SUV by now that could accommodate touring musicians. But screw progress, we can just permanently tear up some protected wildlife areas to get an extra ten years of petroleum, and then worry about it when that finally runs out...sorry, that was very opinionated but the subject was already put out there and I just can't keep my big mouth shut (or my fingers from typing in this case)...and of course I am being sarcastic!

                  The WORST part about this whole topic is the realization that Big Oil executives are depleting our society's ability to enjoy live musical performances.
                  I have that documentary on my hard drive and I totally agree with all your comments! These greedy F*&^%ers need a good kick to the head!!! ..... and George and his cronies are a major part of it!
                  Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
                  SP in leathers mmm that works he he well we saw that guys kit last week on wheels, maybe u can add a small engine to the drum cage and ride that baby, he he
                  I do love scooters though, they are seriously cute.
                  Now there's an idea!! LOL ....and I agree about the cuteness factor

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                    Dave, I am seriously considering getting a scooter
                    Get it, get the leathers and post the photo, from above of course!
                    I know you dig the chicks but thats doesn't stop a guy from thinking!

                    Matt

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      General Motors last week announced closure of 4 assembly plants in North America. The truck plant in Canada specifically because the truck market has died due to the impact of rising fuel costs. It's a perfectly valid business move, and probably not a bad thing for the world in general. I feel bad for the workers, but they aren't out of work yet. Things could change and in all likelyhood those plants will be retooled to produce eco-friendly hybrids or something.

                      Global warming has the potential to kill off humanity in just a couple of generations and what are people most concerned about? The cost of the fuel that is a large part of the bigger problem. The only thing that annoys me more is people who are coughing up a lung while complaining about the price of cigarettes.

                      Don't get me wrong, I'm not venting at you people here, gas prices affect all of us. But as far as global catastrophe's go, sometimes we all need a little perspective. Thats why god created earthquakes & tornados...
                      Jack

                      Sabre's Album

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sabre, if you haven't already seen it, I wrote a song about this very topic. Check it out HERE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by eddy41 View Post
                          Get it, get the leathers and post the photo, from above of course!
                          I know you dig the chicks but thats doesn't stop a guy from thinking!

                          Matt
                          LOL

                          Seriously, I am totally into the idea of a scooter for most of my general travelling. MUCH easier in peak hour traffic and FAR better for the environment

                          .....and I will take some pics when I get one

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                            General Motors last week announced closure of 4 assembly plants in North America. The truck plant in Canada specifically because the truck market has died due to the impact of rising fuel costs. It's a perfectly valid business move, and probably not a bad thing for the world in general. I feel bad for the workers, but they aren't out of work yet. Things could change and in all likelyhood those plants will be retooled to produce eco-friendly hybrids or something.
                            I believe that if GM would only reinstate their electric car program, or even make plug-in hybrids, they would do a 180-degree turn in sales. They are running out of time though, it's almost to the point where it's now or never.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You'll be happy to hear this cheapthrill...

                              "GM continues to increase its North American car and crossover production in response to market changes and offers customers the widest range of small fuel efficient cars and the widest selection of hybrid vehicles. GM has also announced its plans to produce the extended range electric car, the Chevrolet Volt for sale starting in 2010."
                              Jack

                              Sabre's Album

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X