Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the roland td 20 kit for me??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the roland td 20 kit for me??

hi, my name is matt, i've been watching for a good electronic drum and i think i found it, its a little expensive but i like it, also, i live in an apartment so i can use acousting drums without getting killed by my neightbors, so i want this kit to practice and mybe to record with some friends, so i wanted to know what do you think??

also i wanted to ask: when you're playing the kit with a decent speaker can you hear the sound of the sticks hitting the pads?? and what about when you're using earphones?? thanks

Hi Matt, you've picked a top notch kit - it will be far more than just a practice kit for you I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
      Hi Matt, you've picked a top notch kit - it will be far more than just a practice kit for you I'm sure.
      thanks, i like that

Comment

You will hear the stick noise if you don't turn the PA up loud enough. The kit is great, but it has limitations...

Playing in a small venue with low volume will allow the stick noise to come through...

Practicing in an apartment can be tricky. There have been a ton of posts here about complaints and how to muffle the noise... e.g., the kick vibration really travels down through the floor.

But all that said, I love mine and have played out with it with good success. And I have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.

Last thought... stick noise on the pads is about as loud as hitting a phone book. So the steady whap whap whappa whap will be an issue for someone who wants quiet and has sensitive ears.

PS Welcome to the fourm.

Rene
        . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
          You will hear the stick noise if you don't turn the PA up loud enough. The kit is great, but it has limitations...

Playing in a small venue with low volume will allow the stick noise to come through...

Practicing in an apartment can be tricky. There have been a ton of posts here about complaints and how to muffle the noise... e.g., the kick vibration really travels down through the floor.

But all that said, I love mine and have played out with it with good success. And I have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.

Last thought... stick noise on the pads is about as loud as hitting a phone book. So the steady whap whap whappa whap will be an issue for someone who wants quiet and has sensitive ears.

PS Welcome to the fourm.

Rene
          hi, thanks for the info, do you think that the sound would pass throught some insolated headphones like the vicfirth ones??? i mean ,those are made for acoustic drums so i think it could work , what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by mateoar View Post
            hi, thanks for the info, do you think that the sound would pass throught some insolated headphones like the vicfirth ones??? i mean ,those are made for acoustic drums so i think it could work , what do you think?
            Well, most likely if you have them at a low volume. These drums aren't silent by any means. If you haven't try them out... if you can't try them out, it is about the same volume as a practice pad. You are hitting a tight mesh with sticks, and the cymbals are rubber (coated).
            Talk with your neighbors first to found out what they think, you wouldn't want to hear that your neighbors hate you after 2 weeks of playing and are going to the landlord.

Good luck.

Canerican

Comment

First, dont go waste a bunch of money on isolation headphones. You wont need them. Even a $20 pair of the bigger style headphones work fine and you wont hear any stick noises unless you have the volume turned down very very low. I have had a TD-6 kit with all rubber pads and a TD-20 kit with all mesh pads.. The rubber pads were much louder than the mesh and I never had much trouble with neighbors. The only part I have ever had neighbors say anything about were the KD-7 kick triggers. The sound in the room isnt bad.. but the sound vibrates through the floors and make loud thumping noises. However, if you are going to get the TD-20 kit you wont have KD-7's.

Second, if you have the money to get the TD-20 kit.. Get it! I love mine. It is worth every penny. I work night shifts and have to stay up all night on my off days.. I play my TD-20 kit all night while my wife is sleeping in the next room over.

As far as playing live. With a full band.. you dont even have to worry.. if you are playing alone through an amp or PA.. as long as you have it at a reasonable level you wont hear much of the stick noise. It is still much more quiet than an acoustic set. I prefer playing through headphones when I'm practicing.
              Josh

I highly recommend kits from V-Expressions.

Comment

Originally posted by H3Hummer24 View Post
                First, dont go waste a bunch of money on isolation headphones. You wont need them. Even a $20 pair of the bigger style headphones work fine and you wont hear any stick noises unless you have the volume turned down very very low. I have had a TD-6 kit with all rubber pads and a TD-20 kit with all mesh pads.. The rubber pads were much louder than the mesh and I never had much trouble with neighbors. The only part I have ever had neighbors say anything about were the KD-7 kick triggers. The sound in the room isnt bad.. but the sound vibrates through the floors and make loud thumping noises. However, if you are going to get the TD-20 kit you wont have KD-7's.

Second, if you have the money to get the TD-20 kit.. Get it! I love mine. It is worth every penny. I work night shifts and have to stay up all night on my off days.. I play my TD-20 kit all night while my wife is sleeping in the next room over.

As far as playing live. With a full band.. you dont even have to worry.. if you are playing alone through an amp or PA.. as long as you have it at a reasonable level you wont hear much of the stick noise. It is still much more quiet than an acoustic set. I prefer playing through headphones when I'm practicing.
                thanks for the info, about the headphones, its only $49

Comment

If you get the TD20 and dont like it, just send it to me. No charge mate. I'll take it off your hands free of charge. All these electronic thingy's soon clutter up your space.

Comment

Originally posted by mateoar View Post
                    thanks for the info, about the headphones, its only $49

About those Vic Firth isolation headphones: They work GREAT for isolating ambient noise, but I can tell you the sound quality of the speakers in them is crap. Muffled crap. The free pair of Roland phones I got with my rebate blows them away for sound quality. Just get a decent pair of regular headphones and the stick noise will not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
                      If you get the TD20 and dont like it, just send it to me. No charge mate. I'll take it off your hands free of charge. All these electronic thingy's soon clutter up your space.
                      ok i'll have it in mind
                      XD

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

A little pricy, but Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones are just awesome. I'm glad I spent the cash on them, good isolation and the sound quality is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                        X