Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives to HD-1??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to HD-1??

Hi again crew, hope this evening finds you drumming well!! Just wanted to run something by the collective V-consciousness.. I'm thinking of getting an HD-1 for students to practice on, but I went and had a look about a week ago and wasn't blown away. So anyway, do you guys think I should fork out for the HD-1, or is there a better alternative? I appreciate the wisdom, thanks again guys

Aaron
    "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
    Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Definitely a matter of choice. I am not a big fan of the HD-1....kinda hate the pedal arrangement (especially the bass drum) and am not sure how well that would translate to the feel of drumming...ya know what I mean?

I know they are relatively not that expensive, but personally, if I was in the same situation and trying to keep the cost down, I would look in the direction of a Hart Prodigy with a DM5 or a Yamaha DTXplorer. They around the same price range and will use a standard bass pedal. I started out with the Prodigy and was satisfied with it...for a while. I'm not sure if the standard vendors are still selling them, but you can usually find them for sale new on Ebay stores for about $500 USD without module. The Prodigy uses mesh pads. The Yamaha, which goes for about $700 USD, might be able to withstand the beating a student might give it better than the Hart as the Yammy uses rubber pads. As I think it over more, I would probably go with the Yamaha. I mean you don't want to go around replacing Magnum heads a $28 a pop because some ham-fisted monkey has shoved yet another drumstick through the mesh.

If you want to really go less expensive, you can also look at the Alesis DM5 sets. I think they are running about $450 - $500 with module new, although I don't know how good they are. I guess for the price, they are what they are.
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
    X