Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

climaxing on the cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• climaxing on the cymbals

ha ha you want to end a song with lots of snare and tom rolls and then finish off rolling on the cymbals really fast, but with electric cymbals you cant get that mellow wash you get with acoustic cymbals or can you? Is there a way to change pitch or decay for cymbals to make em sound more realistic when riding on them in the TD6?
    Pintech e-jam with TD6 brain + vintage olympic kit

Um... does climaxing mean the same thing in New Zealand as it does it the States? Because I had to do a double take on that headline.

I wish I knew more about the TD-6, but with my TD-20 I get some pretty nice washes.

I know there is a crash cymbal named "Swell" in the TD-6. Have you tried that one?
    sigpic

Comment

Ha ha Michael maybe i meant crescendo, he he he, I've managed to find the manual and I have been playing around wityh the decay settings but not quite what I was expecting, everytime I hit the crash it gives it 100% volume all the time so the 2nd and 3rd hits etc equal the same as the 1st 1. Cheers for the tip I just tried the swell setting it sounds better but still not what I was trying to accomplish. I will just have to get used to the limitations of the TD6 and play with real cymbals on the night, but for practice the electrics wil have to do. Cheers again..

Comment

I've personally found it much easier to get the swell happening with my CY12 than my CY8's. You might also want to try lowering your sensitivity setting to get more dynamic range from your cymbals too.

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
        Um... does climaxing mean the same thing in New Zealand as it does it the States? Because I had to do a double take on that headline......
        Same here!!

Comment

SP - you're right - it should be easier to get the cymbal wash with the TD12 and TD20 than the other modules. Not sure about the TD9 though. I think this is what the interval control feature is for on the 12 and 20, although I don't think it's mentioned in the manual. I believe it works just on cymbals and the snare.

Comment

The interval control is amazing on the mallet sounds. I created an entire kit based on various mallet sounds and spent quite a bit of time tweaking the cymbals. Swells on my CY12 ride in particular are extremely realistic.
            I made use of the three way triggering by tweaking EQ and compression settings individually for each part of my ride cymbal so it is possible to change the sound texture by moving around the cymbal just as you would on an acoustic cymbal. The sound gets thicker and darker as you move to the edge and it gets that resonant low frequency wash as you play harder towards the edge.
            I have just converted this kit to TD20 format and am going to do some more TD20 specific tweaks to it (using mic positioning) to make it even more realistic.
            The TD12 version of this kit is in my kit downloads section on my website and I'll be adding the TD20 version some time this coming week.

Comment

Though I don't get that kind of variation I do get decent cymbal swells and washes on the TD-10 and the HPD-15 but I have a dedicated pad in the kit for that alone. The long decay makes it useless the rest of the time.
              Stuff to hit

Comment

ha ha yes climaxing means the same in a lot of countries including new zealand. I must admit I used it in my title co's I wanted you drumming guru's to enter this thread and secondly "climax" is'nt just a term used for sex; ie. the highest or most intense point in the development or resolution of something (eg) the ending of a song. Cool, I'd hate to be thought of as just a dirty bugger. Right with that being said I'm gonna "****" around with my module a little and see what I cum up with. Cheers again all for your help, you rock!

Comment

All that swelling and climaxing I bet the sheep are nervous! Sorry mate I couldn't help myself, all the Aussie's will get that one...
                  My Kit
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Hey Timezoner,

I think I know what you're after - I can get close to those results on a TD-6V so I guess the TD-6 will be pretty close.

Have a play around with the TrigCurve setting - go for something more like EXP1 or 2 to get the swell to match the stick impact (i.e. harder = progressively more volume).

If you assign one cymbal edge as a swell and one as a quick crash you can use them as a pair to produce some nice results.

If you also assign one cymbal bow as a ride-X and another as a ride at different pitches you have 4 sounds (+ the hihat using foot clash) to give you a fair approximation of a real cymbal.

If you happen to have an SPD-20 I can let you in on a few more tricks to get you very close to an a-cymbal......

good luck m8

Comment

Originally posted by M_C_M View Post
                      All that swelling and climaxing I bet the sheep are nervous! Sorry mate I couldn't help myself, all the Aussie's will get that one...

Comment

He,s just taking his "girlfrind" for bike ride, nothing funny about that.
                        Do you think their having "six"...
                        My Kit

Comment

LOL
                          Dunno about 'six' but maybe they're just on their way to the local 'fush and chups' shop for some 'dum sums'

Comment

This thread makes me feel dirty. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixxit View Post
                              This thread makes me feel dirty. Hehe.
                              Thats disgusting.

Q:Why wasn't Jesus born in New Zealand?
                              A:They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

I have some good friends that are Maori too.
                              I'm very Baaaaad...
                              My Kit

Comment

Working...
                              X