Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I like that band, except that their drummer plays with a cheesy electronic kit."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I like that band, except that their drummer plays with a cheesy electronic kit."

"I like that band, except that their drummer plays with a cheesy electronic kit."

- Overheard by our singer when someone was talking about my band not long ago.

Our singer made the decision on the spot that we would go back to using acoustic drums, despite the increased stage volume and the fact that this will require we use two vehicles for gigs (can't fit everything in the van unless we use the v.drums).

What do you guys do in these situations? I *love* the V-drums and do not want to go back to the acoustic drums - I have to wear earplugs with those, they take a lot longer to set up and tear down, they take longer to EQ and mix and don't sound as good in my monitors anyway, and they take up more space on the stage and in the van. My drummer likes the feel of his acoustic kit better (I don't blame him), but in my opinion, the advantages of the electronic kit, especially for small gigs, outweigh the negatives.

Have you ever dealt with this attitude? How? I don't want to turn off our fans but we can't even break even on out-of-town gigs if we have to take two vehicles, and I really don't want to buy a trailer if we already have a solution (the electronic drums, which are also great for recording and rehearsing back home).

Thoughts are appreciated!
    My band's website: treasure junkie
    My website: DaveMuscato.com
    I'm a bassist, but I like drummers :) We have a TD-6SXT.

your the drummer,he is the singer.Tell him you dont like the mike he is using.Where do singers get off telling other muso's what instament to play.I know what id be saying, $%@# off.Let him transport the a's,setup and pull down.What a ****.The person heard saying it prob cant play an instrament at all.All over one comment?,id be moving on.sorry jmho
    Last edited by pluto3; 05-27-08, 04:52 AM.
    TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Originally posted by pluto3 View Post
      your the drummer,he is the singer.Tell him you dont like the mike he is using.....Let him transport the a's,setup and pull down....The person heard saying it prob cant play an instrament at all.All over one comment?,id be moving on.sorry jmho
      Plus 1.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

mmm ooo ahhh

My advice is to convert an acoustic kit to electronic, hide all cables in the rack and have the best of all worlds.

Let all negative energy and comments pass over you like water off the proverbial ducks back my son, go in peace ...
        WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
        YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
        FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
        :eek: ...
        Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
        Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

"our singer made the decision" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...... and where would he be without electronics ????.............. it must be a real strain carrying that 1 microphone !!
          TD10ex, SPD-S, kd's, pd's, cy's, Koby, KitToys ( 9" splash & 10" mini china - yep you read that correctly... a very rare 10" mini china lol ), Iron Cobra, Mackie, Beyer. arizonaband.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Muscato View Post
            ...What do you guys do in these situations? ...
            Have you ever dealt with this attitude? How?...Thoughts are appreciated!
            Here are links to a couple of previous related discussions with some good input:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35068

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36826
            Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

The thing that cracks me up is when you get competing opinions at the same gig from different people. One person says everything was great, the next person says it stunk. One guy doesn't like the drums, the other guy is fascinated. A girl says the vocals were 'thin' and a guy says they were right on. And on and on and on.

Opinions are like weeds - they grow everywhere and most of them are unwanted. If your singer is going to make a knee-jerk decision every time someone belches you all are going to be very busy buying and selling equipment. Which will rapidly force you into the poor-house and you won't be able to afford any equipment at all. Tell him to calm the heck down or the next time you get a negative comment about his singing you will replace him with a 'not so cheesy' singer.

Shalom
              Bruce

Comment

What Bruce said.

The "problem" here wasn't that some junior knucklehead in the audience who's closest point to playing an instrument was probably an air guitar bit he did drunk out of his mind when somebody blasted "FREEEEEBIRDDDDDD" at some party said something deragatory about the edrums, the "problem" was you singer's reaction to that.

If the singer is unbending, either a) move onto (or move him onto) new circumstances, or b) what was suggested above, convert an a-kit. The latter only solves part of your problem since it will still be more space intensive to transport.

Actually, something you said puzzles me in that your drummer also prefers acoustics. It sounds as if he weclomes a move back to acoustics. Perhaps the rest of the band feels that way as well and you're the one edrum holdout. Now, remember, you're preaching to the choir here about the greatness of edrums but, if you're in a band that prefers acoustics, for whatever reasons they feel outweigh what you feel edrums bring to the equation, well, then, that's a different issue.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Sounds like the singer is more into flash than substance. If it is his band, maybe it is time to start looking for a new one. If it is NOT his band, he needs a swift kick in the pants. That might even help him to hit that "high note"....

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                    Sounds like the singer is more into flash than substance.
                    Aren't they all?
                    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Actually, I like cheese......

But seriously, are you after sound quality or are you out to impress some poor audience member who has had a few too many?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                        Actually, I like cheese......

But seriously, are you after sound quality or are you out to impress some poor audience member who has had a few too many?
                        Exactly Bro !!!!!
                        Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

I would ask your singer if he intends to make a major change in the band's equipment configuration every time someone in the audience makes a negative comment. You cannot please everyone, and should not try.
                          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Going by your website the singer is also the guitar player,there's your answer right there.Please show your drummer this and other related threads on here.Would he change his guitar and amp ect if he over heard someone say,good band but i dont like that brand of guitar or amp? i dont think so.
                            Last edited by pluto3; 05-27-08, 11:03 PM.
                            TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Dave: You're in Columbia? I went to the band's web site. Have we "met" on Comomusic before? I'm "grog" there too. I'm about 50 minutes from you to the southeast.

Yunno, this isn't the first time I've gotten a lot of edrum bigotry out of people there. I wanted to audition for a now-defunk group and got the same crap out of their keyboardist.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X