Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Solo did it for YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Solo did it for YOU

Excluding drums, what solo really did it for you. ie made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

For me, The Sax on Jerry Rafferty Baker Street and the Alan Price organ solo on the Animals, House of the Rising Sun.

Yes 6 of my best

Listing Half dozen ...

Guitar solo in Beat it (M jackson)
    Still got the blues (gary moore)
    Another brick in the wall (pink floyd)
    Africa (Toto) love the 80's fat synth sounds
    Hotel California (twin guitar solo) Eagles
    Jump (Van Halen) Synth and guitar solo's

Recently this last week i've rediscovered Dio, oh superb!
    Last edited by daveybabes; 05-25-08, 09:36 PM.
    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
    :eek: ...
    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Karen Briggs - The Black Lady in the Red Dress from Yanni Live at the Acropolis on violin. Freakin' incredible. Any solo from that entire show will do.

Victor Wooten - Amazing Grace Solo on bass guitar
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      sigpic
      -----Visit My Website-----

Electronic: Roland TD-20s BK. V Expressions Drummer's Dream Pack
      Headphones: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
      Acoustic: Drum Workshop Pacific CX Series Silver Mist, Pearl FFX Wood Grain Marching Snare, Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal, Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand, TAMA Ergo-Rider Quartet with Backrest Drum Throne, Crapload of cymbals and accessories.

-----Visit My YouTube Channel-----

Comment

There's quite a few I love but the one that comes immediately to mind is the second guitar solo in Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb'. Dave Gilmour at his finest there!

Comment

Hi All,

Interesting how well liked Dave Gilmour's guitar playing is - a great sound and artistry.

Pink Floyd's "Echoes" from the album Meddle is one of my favourites - Mr Gilmour again being the highlight.

Honourable mention goes to:

- Camel's "Lunar Sea" from the MoonMadness album - the second guitar solo on that song
          - Any sax playing by Didier Malherbe combines music and humour beautifully
          - and sadly missed, Frank Zappa's guitar playing - in my humble opinion he was the greatest combination of composer and improvising musician

Comment

Duane Allman on Statesboro Blues
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Richard Thompson on Cavalry Cross and Tear Stained Letter

Comment

Morgan Fairchild and what she did to my %#% when she &%*% and then she ^%$&'d my %^$^%$$^ until it &%^&$$ed the (*)(&#$^$.

Comment

So may good ones and I like so many different styles of music. Earliest was Paul Desmonds sax solo in "Take 5" by Dave Brubeck. I fell in love in 1967 with the solo for the long cut of "Light My Fire" by The Doors and learned both parts, guitar and organ. My all time fav would have to be "Hotel California" by The Eagles.

Comment

Aaaaaaaagh! I'll get back to you with a list!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post
                      Morgan Fairchild and what she did to my %#% when she &%*% and then she ^%$&'d my %^$^%$$^ until it &%^&$$ed the (*)(&#$^$.
                      I know exactly what you mean man..
                      "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                      Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Yanick Etienne's vocal solo on Roxy Music's "Avalon"
                        Guitar solo on Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights"
                        Steven Sum
                        TD3KW, PM-10
                        Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
                        http://www.stevensum.com

Comment

Jimmy Page's solo on Stairway to Heaven was one of the first songs I ever stopped and took notice of. It is, in my opinion, the quintessential rock guitar solo.

I also have to agree with SP and other on David Gilmour. Hauntingly beautiful solos. Especially COmfortably Numb.
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice to see David Gilmour getting his for the solo(s) in 'Comfortably Numb'. IMHO, it's the finest solo recorded, and I think I heard somewhere that Rolling Stone rated it the best of all time, too - but I might be wrong.

For me, the ultimate goose-bumper has to be Clare Torry's vocal solo for 'The Great Gig In The Sky' from the Dark Side album.

Past that, I remember hearing the guitar solo in Boston's 'More Than A Feeling' for the first time. Nothing before or since ever had the same impact on me. (Well - maybe Eruption from Eddie on VH1 comes closest.)

Comment

Originally posted by richp123 View Post
                              Nice to see David Gilmour getting his for the solo(s) in 'Comfortably Numb'. IMHO, it's the finest solo recorded, and I think I heard somewhere that Rolling Stone rated it the best of all time, too - but I might be wrong.

For me, the ultimate goose-bumper has to be Clare Torry's vocal solo for 'The Great Gig In The Sky' from the Dark Side album.

Past that, I remember hearing the guitar solo in Boston's 'More Than A Feeling' for the first time. Nothing before or since ever had the same impact on me. (Well - maybe Eruption from Eddie on VH1 comes closest.)
                              I could not agree more about Clare Torry on Great Gig on the Sky.
                              A little trivia, she was actually embarrassed when she recorded that and apologised for it when she finished!

Have you heard the SACD 5.1 surround mix of Dark Side yet? It is like listening to the album again for the first time. That was the very first album I bought on SACD and the new mix is just incredible. James Guthrie has done an awesome job remixing the original multitracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X