Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to play my song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play my song

I was watching TV tonight and there was an ad for a show about some band, don't know wich, didn't see the whole thing....anyway... the thing that cought my attention was this:

You see this guitar player that is trying to tell a drummer how to play his song. So he says to the drummer: You go Bonham in the verse, Ringo in the pre-chorus and then Peart Peart Peart on the cymbals in the chorus.

Besides beeing funny and somehow ridiculous, the thing that strikes me is that even a guitar player don't seem to know what the hell is going on behind a drumset!

You would think all musicians understood the difference between tempo and pulse and how do you describe a feeling?
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Oh yeah

Originally posted by TriggerThis View Post
      I was watching TV tonight and there was an ad for a show about some band, don't know wich, didn't see the whole thing....anyway... the thing that cought my attention was this:

You see this guitar player that is trying to tell a drummer how to play his song. So he says to the drummer: You go Bonham in the verse, Ringo in the pre-chorus and then Peart Peart Peart on the cymbals in the chorus.

Besides beeing funny and somehow ridiculous, the thing that strikes me is that even a guitar player don't seem to know what the hell is going on behind a drumset!

I think i catch his drift, but as i can't do any of those he will have to settle for Charlie Watts and Frank Beard all the way through
      WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
      YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
      FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
      :eek: ...
      Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
      Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Wow, could the guitar player have wanted anymore variation of styles in one song? Ringo to Peart? That's a 180 degree switch! Guitar players can be so annoying. The drummer should have said back, ok, I'll do that if you give me Jimmy Paige in the verse, George Harrison in the pre-chorus and Alex Liefson in the chorus. Blow dude...not giving Neil Peart cymbals...you're getting Alex Van Halen...whatcha think about that!
        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thats a commercial for a new comedy series on IFC and Showcase, called Cock'd Gunns

"Cock'd Gunns is an unflinching rockumentary series about the worst band you've never heard of: Cock'd Gunns. Led by the brothers Van Gunn (Reggie and ****), Cock'd Gunns could become the biggest band in the world. The only thing holding them back is a total lack of work ethic, songs, a record deal, talent, and legions of fans."

Here is a link to the promo video Trigger mentioned...
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

just ask the guitarist to play "that Allan Holdsworth lick" - that normally stops them.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
              Thats a commercial for a new comedy series on IFC and Showcase, called Cock'd Gunns

"Cock'd Gunns is an unflinching rockumentary series about the worst band you've never heard of: Cock'd Gunns. Led by the brothers Van Gunn (Reggie and ****), Cock'd Gunns could become the biggest band in the world. The only thing holding them back is a total lack of work ethic, songs, a record deal, talent, and legions of fans."

Here is a link to the promo video Trigger mentioned...
              Whew...thanks for straightening that out Sabre.
              TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                Wow, could the guitar player have wanted anymore variation of styles in one song? Ringo to Peart? That's a 180 degree switch! Guitar players can be so annoying. The drummer should have said back, ok, I'll do that if you give me Jimmy Paige in the verse, George Harrison in the pre-chorus and Alex Liefson in the chorus. Blow dude...not giving Neil Peart cymbals...you're getting Alex Van Halen...whatcha think about that!

I would have thrown in some Santana, Clapton and Brian May aswell.

Comment

Let's remember this line was written by a professional WRITER, thus should not be expected to exhibit any knowledge of music in general or drumming in particular. It's also meant to get a laugh from the general public, so he throws in what he thinks are the three most recognizable names in drumming.

By the way, did he pronounce Peart pee-ert? Didn't think so...
                  Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

I'm not so sure that in these kind of reality-tv shows that 'all' the lines are written .. I think its more like writers give general directions and fill in the blanks between the improvised nonsense going on in front of the camera.

Comment

At least the guitarist is trying to communicate, and giving the drummer something to work with. I can't count the number of times I've been asked to "do that thing like on (some song I haven't heard much), you know, with the driving beat" or something similar. They can't seem to say, "Give me eighth notes on the hi-hat, snare on 2 and 4, and bass on 1 and 3, tempo about 160." Maybe because they aren't listening in the first place, or only have a vague "vision in their heads."

It'd be nice to get more concrete guidance, even if it was like in the promo. I had one guy keep me guessing about what he wanted, then yell when I didn't get it. Needless to say that didn't last long. Fortunately it ended before I put a stick in a place he would find uncomfortable. Or used him for a bass drum, at a tempo of about 160.

Shalom
                      Bruce

Comment

The only thing better than the drummer being told to go "Purt, Purt, Purt..." is watching him actually doing it. LMAO

Seriously, though... Like Sabre says, it's a clip from a Canadian comedy rock-u-mentary series - like Spinal Tap - filmed in downtown Toronto.

Comment

hey dudes, Barry here

Yeah, I didn't like how Reggie told me to play like all these guys I never heard of. Anyway, a better promo for Cock'd Gunns is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtVen6Pomo

Peace

-Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                            just ask the guitarist to play "that Allan Holdsworth lick" - that normally stops them.....
                            And again, something that reminds me of another silly joke...

At marriages, the older aunts seemed to come to a young guy every time, asking: "So, you're next?". They stopped asking that question when he started asking the same question at funerals.

Stijn
                            'lectric drumma
                            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                              I had one guy keep me guessing about what he wanted, then yell when I didn't get it.
                              Sounds familiar... I once played with a guy who wanted me to play funky... So I threw in some ghost notes, and an snare accent every now and then that wasn't on 2 or 4. It was nt good... It needed to be funky (!). It was much too "busy", to many notes being played... I think he actually wanted a simple 8th note beat groove.

Stijn
                              'lectric drumma
                              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Working...
                              X