Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic drumset or convert the acoustics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic drumset or convert the acoustics?

I've post a thread at suggestions but no one replied.. Please check it out cause i need some advices. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Sotiris; 05-15-08, 07:18 PM.
    Sotiris
    sigpic
    www.myspace.com/sotpetridis

That's a very broad question. Different kits meet different needs for different drummers and different budgets. Maybe if you were to provide some detail on your performance demands (gigging kit or just home practice, etc.) and your available budget, it would be easier for folks to answer your question.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Sotiris View Post
      which one is better?
      Sotiris -
      Well, that's kind of a loaded question and that'll get multiple opinions both ways. As an experienced drummer who's played acoustics for a while, you'll find that electronics will never "feel" the same. And I don't just mean the action off the drums. I mean the whole thing will feel different. When you play acoustics you feel everything about them...you get a total sense of where the sound is coming from and all of the overtones that go with the top and bottom heads, the way those tones interact with the room you're in etc. You also feel it through the stick, in your fingers & hands, up your arm and into your chest. That total, all around feeling, you will not get from an electronic set.

However, electronic sets give you so much. The ability to have many different kinds of sets...to have different kinds of cymbals...and the huge part is the ability to control the volume level. I love that I can throw on my headphones and play along with tunes from my iPod (or the sequences on the module) and I don't have to strain to hear above my drums. I can play at almost any hour without bothering my wife or neighbors. These are huge advantages over acoustics. Then when you get into recording possibilities and stuff like that, they really start to show their versatility.

The higher end modules and drum/cymbal pads are really incredible as far as the realistic sounds that you can get. While they don't feel quite the same as acoustics, they're still pretty good. WAY better than the ol' rubber pads (though some people prefer the rubber pads, so that's a matter of taste). The downside is that to get these really great features it's going to cost a good amount of money. My feeling with electronics is that you really get what you pay for.

Some people use electronics as a practice tool only and plan to play acoustics for live gigs. I personally have no experience switching back and forth like that, but I do believe that it would take some getting used to because they most certainly do feel different.

My opinion is that if you have the cash for electronics, it's a great purchase...there are so many upsides to them.
      Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Electronic drumset or convert the acoustics?

i love v-drums, the Roland TD-12 module and v-cymbals, but always felt at odds with the small Roland mesh drums, especially that little bass drum, so i converted a cheap but reasonably made acoustic kit to v-drums, a lot of work but i'm more than happy with the result which is purely my personal preference. as my esteemed colleagues have said below, it's all down to personal choice, they all still work the same with the same sound.
        Last edited by mystic fred; 05-16-08, 02:19 AM.
        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
        :cool:
        ;)

Comment

I with ya Fred. I've been toying...ok contemplating...ok whimsically musing... ok procrastinating (meaning I'm too lazy to actually get after it)...with the idea of doing a bass drum conversion for my kit. I'm in the camp of people who want my Es to look like As and having a full size bass drum would complete things. My Hart Pro bass is awesome, but.....

Sotiris, as others have said, that depends on your needs, time, money, skills needed to do a conversion without wanting to throw it all out the window or having it look and sound "someway", etc. I have a pure E kit (Hart based) and love it. Other like sets like the RET or Boom Theory Space Muffins (just ask Wang Chung) which are basically A conversions ready done for you. Others like the challenge of doing it themselves.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
          X