Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain quickly......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain quickly......

why do people set up their gear facing a wall? I was just looking at some kit set-ups and recall people doing this earlier, but for the life of me, never understood why? Now, we are using Electronic drums, so its not an accoustics thing. I don't get the 'jammed up to the wall and staring at it' set up? Why not turn the kit around and climb back behind it to play? I realize it can be tight in some situations, but really....if for nothing else, I have this phobia of wearing headphones and not being able to see if someone comes up behind me

anyway....doesn't make much sense to me
    Last edited by BarT; 05-14-08, 09:53 AM. Reason: Merged

It doesn't make any sense at all. My kit is facing the stairway down, so if i loose a stick, i have to get it one level below .

I wouldn't like looking at a wall when playing. Maybe space is an issue for some. The kit takes less space when facing the wall.
    TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
    Loving it every second..

Comment

Personal preference maybe? I don't really know.
      B
      Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

I am with you on this one, I am sure that there are some reasons but for the life of me I cant think of any. lol

I would be afraid that someone would attack from behind.

Maybe folks feel that they concentrate better facing a wall. For me It makes the kit hard to rewire and get to. T
        www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Originally posted by rbressers View Post
          Maybe space is an issue for some. The kit takes less space when facing the wall.
          Thats it in a nutshell, for me anyway.
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
            Thats it in a nutshell, for me anyway.
            prime example: http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...076#post309076

Turn that thing around....geez

Comment

It's probably a convenience thing. I'd bet 99% of the sets out there are near a wall and it's just easier to get right to the throne and sit down to play rather than climbing around things to get to the throne. I know that when I had mine set up like that it was so easy to just go sit and play...on the other hand I also wouldn't play for nearly as long, so I eventually turned the set around to face the room, and sure enough my practice sessions last longer. Some people don't mind it and it works for them...and that's all that matters.
              Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Some of us don't have the luxury of devoting an entire room to our drumsets.
                And it gives the wife great pleasure to sneak up behind and scare the bejeezus out of me once in awhile...
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Space and creeping bass drums...

Comment

Originally posted by oldmandrummer View Post
                    prime example: http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=309076

Turn that thing around....geez
                    See those blinds to the left? That's most likely a sliding door. To turn the kit around you'd be blocking the entire thing instead of just a little piece of it.

This is how my kit's going to be, though I have a little more distance from the door and a little more depth to the corner. It fits if it faces the wall, it absolutely does not if it doesn't.

Comment

Easier to get in and out of? I don't know. It would bug me to have my kit facing the wall. It would totally take me out of my zone where I see the thousands of adoring fans.
                      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I'm with Simon here, space for one, access for another, and creeping bass drums for certain! I have my kick drum legs wedged against the wall, to stop it creeping away from me. I do however look out onto my garden from where I sit, so it's not bad at all (You cant see it in my pics, as I pulled the curtain to block the sun for the photos)
                        As for people creeping up on you...where do you people live! Or are your wives and offsprings malicious towards drummers!

Comment

...maybe the wall has a nicer rear then the bass player???

E
                          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                            I'm with Simon here, space for one, access for another, and creeping bass drums for certain! I have my kick drum legs wedged against the wall, to stop it creeping away from me. I do however look out onto my garden from where I sit, so it's not bad at all (You cant see it in my pics, as I pulled the curtain to block the sun for the photos)
                            As for people creeping up on you...where do you people live! Or are your wives and offsprings malicious towards drummers!
                            geez not out in the outhouse. I can't imagine slammed in the corner and then facing it. I don't have that much room. Just I guess I'm not a lard 4$$ and will make the leaps and bounds to not go bonkers out of my skull. I'm sure we have all set up on stages that were tight and hard to get to, but once you're in....you're in. Sounds like the dude that likes to back into a parking space.....who cares, you have to go in reverse at some point....either coming or going

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                              Easier to get in and out of?
                              Originally posted by KevH View Post
                              ...space for one, access for another...
                              Those reasons fit my choice to do it.
                              Alan
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Working...
                              X