Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about craigslist scams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about craigslist scams?

I have some questions about craigslist and how to avoid scams. I see some listings that contain small text below the actual listing...this text is usually nonsensical to the listing.
    example:http://mobile.craigslist.org/grd/676252545.html

Does anyone know why this is included....is this a sign of a scam or to prevent one?

Also...what is the worst that could happen if I e-mail a poster who turns out to be a scammer?

I hate starting threads but you guys and gals are my source of info concerning internet safety....
    thanks and happy Mothers Day to all you mothers
    chris :D

The ad was flagged for removal before I had a chance to look at it and see what you were talking about.

While it's hard to tell exactly what you're emailing yourself into through Craigslist, the three biggest things I watch for are whether the ad includes original photos, lists a city location that makes sense for my area and are they clearly willing to conduct business in person. If they'll meet you face-to-face in public and deal in cash, you should be just fine (Just be smart about it...some guy here in Texas quite a while ago drove to Dallas into a notorious apartment complex at night, thinking he was going to buy a car from a Craigslist poster - instead, he got robbed of his car money and, if I remember correctly, shot).

It's just like anything else. If it smells fishy, bail out.

With that said, however, good deals can be had through Craigslist. I sold my first e-kit at a good price and bought my current kit at a great deal through CL.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Thanks for the input Vader...the ad I linked seems legit but has the smaller text near the bottom and I was thinking it was to avoid scammers...I often see phone numbers given in a non-standard (US) way, i.e: 100&345&6789. I assume this is to avoid some type of scam or marketing schemes.
      Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
      The ad was flagged for removal before I had a chance to look at it and see what you were talking about.
      I am still able to open the listing.

Comment

Update...I replied to another listing this morning...here's the e-mail I got:
        Hi,
        I'm really glad that you are interested in my car.First of all I want to say that it has a clear and clean title with no accident records,it has never been abused or raced.I am the first and the only owner of this beautiful car that has been spoiled like a baby.I always kept it in my garage,away from bad weather and it looks gorgeous.Unfortunately I am forced to let it go.You see, due to my job I had to move to Orlando and I just found a great house offer.The thing is that I have to make a deposit so I can be sure that I won't loose this great offer.On the other hand, I hope I will find someone who will treat this baby like I did.All you have to do is to pay a small amount of US $2.900 with all the shipping costs included.I hope you are the buyer that I'm looking for,please let me know if you are still interested.

Best regards,

BTW...the ad is for a Toyota Truck
        I will report this SCUMBAG!
        Last edited by bogiesbad; 05-11-08, 12:23 PM.

Comment

He doesnt use a space bar or tab key...poor grammar is usually a sign of a scam post.
          I could not open the link either, it was removed. CL really is on the ball these days when it comes to removing posts.

as for the small text saying things like:
          * "it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests"

These are put into every posting by CL.
          Dave
          Sonic Orb Studios
          My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
          Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

It might also be that the small text is used for tagging so that their listing shows up when people are doing similar searches. I might do a search for KC-350 and someone with a Peavey KC-4 might add that as a tag so their Peavey shows up when the search results are listed.
            Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
              I am still able to open the listing.
              It must have been in my cache...it's gone now.

I tried to report the e-mail scammer but my mail to '[email protected]' comes back with invalid address.

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                I tried to report the e-mail scammer but my mail to '[email protected]' comes back with invalid address.
                Maybe adding an "i" to "cragslist" might do the trick?
                >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                  Maybe adding an "i" to "cragslist" might do the trick?
                  I went back and checked and the address was spelled correctly...I just typed it wrong on the post. The listing was gone already as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X