Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pics!! my first post!-40yr+ bass player, 13 yr old cousin- we wanna learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pics!! my first post!-40yr+ bass player, 13 yr old cousin- we wanna learn!

Be gentle! we are noobs, and have some questions....

I am new, and so is my cousin.

we wanna learn.

I , being a bass player, have hat in hand, and I will proceed to tread lightly as i walk into the nest of sleeping and some awake...drummers.....

here is our (actually hers) equipment!

that is NOT my cosmo...its HERS!~

ONE< the drums sound tinny

they have the batter head on, (yup, fur shur!) and the head on the bottom of the drum, the resonant head.

I have seen (only as a bassplayer, so not paying much attentionto the drum kit itself, the sound it makes yes, but not the kit) some drums with out the bottom head on.

now, we wanna get a rocka and roll sound aoutta the kit, and have more thump thump deep kinda sounding drums

I knwo the acoustics in the room dont help see pics!

but, will taking off the resonant heads, and amybe putting "dampers" (how do I do that) on the drums head deaden the sound, give it a more deep sounding rock and roll feel?

boy I really dont knwo what I am talking about, but I knwo the drums dont sound that good....

any suggestions?

thanks

al---bass player
    deanna---13 year old starting drummer

both---kinda clueless....hehehehe

Hello !! I would get new heads ASAP. I think for the batters you could
    go with Remo Emperors or Pinstripes. The Emps would br my first choice.
    Also play around with tuning too and remember that the bottom heads
    play an important role in tuning also !! They look like standard 12,13,16,
    sizes so you should be able to get a nice deep voice out of them. You can
    also get Remo Ambassadors for the res heads. Two ply batters,one ply
    res heads and experiment with low to medium even tuning until you find
    the sweet spot. Tama drums are good quality so spend time getting them
    up to par and start rockin' out !!! Take care, Eric G.
    Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

is there any way I could use the exisitng heads>?

like, maybe take of the lower head and put a damper thingy on the inside of the batter head?

or, are new heads the only answer to getting that "sound"

thanks for the quick reply!

big al

Comment

Well....
        Welcome to the world of drumming for a start, and I am sure you will find many helpful people here.
        I will add my 2 cents worth to start, but bear in mind that everyone has different methods for acheiving the sounds they want.
        When I played an acoustic kit, very similar to the one you have there, I myself removed the bottom head, as I found tuning to be a royal pain, and it was restrictive to the rock sound that I wanted, so there's a start, you can always put them back!
        Secondly, for dampening, I used to tape some pieces of foam, or whatever else I could find, on the top half of the skins, and put a pillow in the bass drum, which also had a hole cut in the front skin.
        I appreciate that things have changed a lot since those days, and there are probably better methods these days, but it worked.
        You also need to play with head tensions too.
        Anyway, I'm sure others will have ideas too, even though we are principally an electronic drum forum, as many of us have come from A drums, or still play them.
        Good luck with the learning, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, but well worth it in the end.

Comment

You may want to think about new cymbals down the road too !! Paiste PST-5 and Sabian XS-20 are great sounding cymbals for the price !! E
          Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

Tension is the key. Take your time too. Remember drums ring that is
            what they do. Work with the natural sound of the drums. I suggested
            new heads because it will make the tuning process easier. The bottom
            line is get the sound YOU are happy with and have FUN !!

Comment

new heads, not this week< !!!

maybe after a little while

I am gonan try the low cost approach

take off the bottom heads, and tape foam, and pillow in the bass drum!

it might jsut change it enough to be livable for now

remember, we are begginners,

between the two of us, we might be able to do a paradiddle!

but, we know what a paraddidle is, even thought we cant spell

that is a start

Comment

Please tune your toms lower, both top and bottom. Try a towel in the
                kick drum that touches both the batter and the res heads. A pillow at
                least for me was too much. Try the low tune before the foam and lower
                head removal. Top and bottom heads react off one another. Just my
                two cents bro !! Take care and check you PM. E

Comment

Welcome to the forums! I think you're right about needing damping - you don't necessarily need to take the heads off the drums to do this (except for placing something inside the bass drum, different things work for different people, but with a tiled floor I think the more damping the better) - you can buy plastic O-Rings for the other drums, or a product called moon-gel which is a kind of jelly which you can stick onto the surface of the drum. The advantage of the moon-gel is you can keep adding it until you get just the right amount of damping.

Hope this helps

Joel.
                  TD-20 V-Pro Kit
                  Yamaha Tour Custom / Zildjian K Customs and A Customs
                  DW / Yamaha Hardware / DW5000 Double Pedal
                  Yamaha 01x / i88x

Comment

Back when I was gigging I did not take the bottom skins off, I just cut a large hole in them. If you take off the bottom head the shell is stressed un-equally. I had the front head of the bass drum cut out and a big lump of foam inserted. Also, strips of foam taped to the batter heads which could be removed quickly, as and when required.

Comment

Leave the heads on and learn how to tune the drums for heaven's sake. Cosmo has a big article on tuning drums this month.

As a bass player, if a newbie posted that his bass guitar sounded all flat and sharp at the same time, would you recommend he buy new strings or a fuzz pedal?

Learn to tune the drums for the sound you want - you can do it!

Don't worry about "tinny" overtones, as long as you have a good, rich, musical, resonant tone underneath them. In a large room, or with a band going, the tinny stuff can't be heard more than five feet away. (Tinny stuff is not bad actually, it means your drums are resonating well.)

The way you tune your drums, as well as any damping you use, will affect how much tinny overtones your drums will display. Best to worry more about tuning to a good deep, round (under) fundamental.

This looks like a great site to give you everything - and more - you need to do a first rate job of tuning your drums:

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Best regards,

GB
                      Last edited by gingerbaker; 04-27-08, 08:25 AM.
                      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

being new to A drums, i have spent many happy afternoons tuning my toms. i read somewhere that the reso head makes a significant difference to the sound - and so it does. like everything in life good results take time...
                        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
                        :cool:
                        ;)

Comment

gingerbaker,

I will try the tuning method

I didnt realize that is the way to get the rock sound , the deep sound I was looking for....

but now that I said it, it makes sense, and if you relate it to bass, yes it makes sense.

the site you provided is a big help.

so, lotsa work ahead!

hopefully I can get the "thump thump" instead of the "tin tin" sound

so, how clueless am I?

well, back to the "tuning" board.....

big al

Comment

yea new heads on that kit for sure. IMO these can make or break a kits sound.
                            Evans G series heads are great for the money IMO and will really bring your kit to life.

Now other than heads you will only sound as good as you have your kit tuned. go though this youtube link and watch/learn how to tune each drum as well as learn the parts. Your goal is to get an even sound out of the drum.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=BillConover

as for lessons, this site is a good start:
                            http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

although there are some video changes I would have made if I was the one in charge..(example being the double bass video...)

dont tape your heads, use those gels that the youtube video talks about, they are much better.
                            Last edited by weldman; 04-28-08, 07:58 PM.
                            Dave
                            Sonic Orb Studios
                            My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                            Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

thanks for that info......the gel and the youtube vid......

I will check it out.....

big al

Comment

Working...
                              X