Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do these kids get these gigs anyway?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do these kids get these gigs anyway?

    ok....so I'm watching some vids online, right....and I'm thinking Daughtry is huge right now. Most of us have heard of Session drummer Josh Freese. He played drums on all the tracks for the album. But what is up with this and geez, man, I could do this....check out at about 45 second mark

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRvVx24tto

    and the 55 second mark of this one

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRvVx24tto

    what gives? C'mon, someone help me out here. I mean seriously. What do you imagine the drummer in the top 10 band in the country makes? And for this? Ouch.............................................. .................

  • #2
    I see what you're saying, but it happens. Have you never dropped a stick in a gig?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ettsn View Post
      I see what you're saying, but it happens. Have you never dropped a stick in a gig?
      for sure - just what a HUGE coincidence I literally watched 2 vids of his and both clankers. I use to love when the bass drum ran away from me

      Comment


      • #4
        I DVR'd Soundstage when Daughtry was on and have watched it a couple times. I thought the drums were really good. But I don't know if that was Joey playing. The guy was sporting a chrome dome.

        I've been meaning to do a little reading on their story. I'd be interested to know if Chris was in a band before Idol and if it was the same members or how it changed after...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by oldmandrummer View Post
          ok....so I'm watching some vids online, right....and I'm thinking Daughtry is huge right now. Most of us have heard of Session drummer Josh Freese. He played drums on all the tracks for the album. But what is up with this and geez, man, I could do this....check out at about 45 second mark

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRvVx24tto

          and the 55 second mark of this one

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRvVx24tto

          what gives? C'mon, someone help me out here. I mean seriously. What do you imagine the drummer in the top 10 band in the country makes? And for this? Ouch.............................................. .................
          The two links look identical...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
            The two links look identical...
            sorry - try this

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJc15Iyzk4

            and when in doubt

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Daughtry

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess I don't get your post really omd - since anyone can break/drop sticks in a gig - especially hard rock. The guy keeps the tempo and provides a solid performance overall. Seriously - he's probably doing 250+ nights a year right now. I used to do 200+ and it's not a cakewalk.

              I mean, we all know that since the late 70's / early 80's it's been about "showmanship" more than talent. I showcased for WB and MCA in Nashville in '91/'92 and they gave me the biggest compliment I ever received. They wanted me really bad and said I was a "Bozzio/Peart seasoned for a life on the stage". Wanting the band was a different story. I about passed out when they said this. However, I'm (was anyway - lol) a very polished and flashy show drummer. I had the chops and play the parts too. Why didn't we get signed? Because the rest of the band out front was mannequins or deer in headlights. I used to throw sticks at one guitarist just to make him move - seriously.

              This whole experience was a real eye opener for me as our talent and music was being compared to being "the next" Dream Theater at the time. We really did have platinum songs, but the other guys just couldn't put on the show. It was all about the show to the labels. (and justifiably so obviously) That was the beginning of the end for me and I simply turned back to having fun with my talent rather than chasing a one in a million dream.

              Now days, you just have to sweat and bang 'em hard.
              Last edited by Alan VEX; 04-16-08, 03:29 PM.
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by amonline View Post
                I guess I don't get your post really omd - since anyone can break/drop sticks in a gig - especially hard rock. The guy keeps the tempo and provides a solid performance overall. Seriously - he's probably doing 250+ nights a year right now. I used to do 200+ and it's not a cakewalk.

                I mean, we all know that since the late 70's / early 80's it's been about "showmanship" more than talent. I showcased for WB and MCA in Nashville in '91/'92 and they gave me the biggest compliment I ever received. They wanted me really bad and said I was a "Bozzio/Peart seasoned for a life on the stage". Wanting the band was a different story. I about passed out when they said this. However, I'm (was anyway - lol) a very polished and flashy show drummer. I had the chops and play the parts too. Why didn't we get signed? Because the rest of the band out front was mannequins or deer in headlights. I used to throw sticks at one guitarist just to make him move - seriously.

                This whole experience was a real eye opener for me as our talent and music was being compared to being "the next" Dream Theater at the time. We really did have platinum songs, but the other guys just couldn't put on the show. It was all about the show to the labels. (and justifiably so obviously) That was the beginning of the end for me and I simply turned back to having fun with my talent rather than chasing a one in a million dream.

                Now days, you just have to sweat and bang 'em hard.
                ok so I think you missed my point completely. I know we all flub the fill, rush the tempo, and drop sticks. I'm happy you are an amazing drummer. I wish I was. My whole point was (other that not being overly impressed with the ability and can find a gazillion others that could lay it down better and probably would wear the stupid pig mask - I'm sure this is really what labels want, but whatever) I was looking online for Daughtry's drummer wondering who the lucky SOB was that stepped into this 'offering'. The first 2 vids I watched were the above....make whatever you want of it...I just thought it was suspect. That said, first impressions are everything...and I'm not

                Comment


                • #9
                  Again, (and yes, I said) I don't get it. Nearly all pro drummers would look exactly the same shot with a crappy hand-cam from back stage. So, I don't see the big issue with these videos aside the crappy video quality. Josh is far from a "lucky SOB". He worked to get where he is. He was pulled into Daughtry simply because he was available and willing. He's a hired gun.

                  Sorry if I'm not understanding you...

                  edit: I see we're talking about different videos now... so, I'm definately lost on the point you're making.
                  Alan
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by amonline View Post
                    Again, (and yes, I said) I don't get it. Nearly all pro drummers would look exactly the same shot with a crappy hand-cam from back stage. So, I don't see the big issue with these videos aside the crappy video quality. Josh is far from a "lucky SOB". He worked to get where he is. He was pulled into Daughtry simply because he was available and willing. He's a hired gun.

                    Sorry if I'm not understanding you...

                    edit: I see we're talking about different videos now... so, I'm definately lost on the point you're making.
                    yeah you may want to go back and read the initial post - these vids are far from Josh Freese - if thats what your thinking - forget it, man. I just thought it was awful coincidental that I watch 2 vids from this guy and in both, he drops his stick - no biggie

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well, his playing style does lead to his lessened ability to hang on to sticks I guess.

                      In that second vid, it seems he under-catches a cymbal. That would actually be the tech's fault IF the set was setup to tightly.

                      Hard to say when the two videos were actually shot. They were posted 11 months apart... not bad percentages for stick dropping.
                      Alan
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The cool thing is he has somebody that hands him sticks. Back in the "70's, when I had that kind of strength and energy, I would go through 5 or 6 sticks a night. Sometimes they would jus explode, but usually they would crack length-wise and loose all the bounce. I would drop them on purpose so that I could grab another one without loosing time. Sometimes I would throw them into the audience. If you don't drop the stick, it will rip right through a drumhead. I haven't play with that kind of force in the last 25 years. Now I just drop sticks because of my arthritis. Our band usually does 60 tunes a night, 5 or 6 days a week. I loose about one stick a week. The key is in knowing how to recover without loosing time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oldmandrummer View Post
                          What do you imagine the drummer in the top 10 band in the country makes?
                          Forget the drummer... I wonder how much the stick retriever guy makes. Probably more than any of us make at a gig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think this thread jinxed me. I played for about 2 hours tonight and dropped THREE sticks. Man, I hardly ever drop sticks! My excuse is that I've been working on making my grip really light for feel's sake. But still...

                            I'm totally blaming it on this thread.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by amonline View Post
                              It was all about the show to the labels. (and justifiably so obviously) That was the beginning of the end for me and I simply turned back to having fun with my talent rather than chasing a one in a million dream.
                              How funny Amon, I realized very early that the market was CRAP. It's not about the labels, it's about the market. The record companies are businesses that want to make money, it's what people will pay money for not what the labels want. Unfortunately Britney Spears makes $750,000 a month and guys like Ron Jarzombek have to teach lessons to make ends meet. I bet Terry Bozzio never made $750,000 a month, yet he's a god.

                              Unfortunately, the better you are the less likely you are to be successful unless you dumb down your music to appeal to a wide audience, or you engage in some clever marketing. This is why I NEVER went professional, I knew I'd have to watch crap bands make money while I starved.

                              Not only that, "being signed" is a rook deal. If you understand the corporate structure a record company USES you to make money, EFF THAT! Once you no longer produce, you're out, just like when Sony tried to PAY Mariah Carey to "go away." So who wants that? Fortunately, now artists can own it all online if they have some savvy business acumen; no longer do the record labels own our futures.

                              Glory be.
                              Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                              www.oblyvion.com
                              Facebook:[Scych]
                              You Tube Scychful
                              Twitter:@Raakinn

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X