Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cymbal swells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbal swells

I tried searching the forums for discussions on the subject of "cymbal swells" and didn't get anywhere fast. ok maybe i was a little lazy and didn't scour all the way through each thread.

anyway... Anybody have comments etc. on using cymbal swells (with mallets or without) with the TD-8 and various cymbal pads. Is it possible? maybe i have just missed the obvious however....any comments suggestions would be welcome.

Man, that question is basically inviting everyone to post some obscene stuff, but I will certainly not be the one to start that one.

Yes, possible. I've used mallets (or just the sticks) and all depending on your trigger settings, you can get quite a realistic "imitation".

(I've got the TD-10, but I don't see a problem with the TD-8 either)

P.S.: Skingame + swelling .... you're askin' for it ....

[This message has been edited by deus62 (edited June 18, 2002).]
    My equipment:
    :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
    :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
    :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
    :: 1x FD-7
    :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
    :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
    :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
    :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

There is actually a cymbal patch on the TD8 for cymbal swells. It might be called sus. cymbal, I'm not sure. It is basically a reversed crash layered with a slash, I think. I can't remember what instrument number it is.
      V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

I guess i am really asking for it... but i wanted to make sure i got a reponse. thanks for the input... oh. there i go again.

Comment

Hey, FINALLY someone with a little humour on this board.
          My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Seriously now. No prob with the swelling. I've done quite a bit of tweaking on some patches to get the best result and I'm more than satisfied. Again, with my Td-10(s).

Sounds like you do not have a TD-8 yet. Make sure to try out some settings in a shop [change trigger settings ... shop assistants just love when you do that] and judge by yourself.
            My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Originally posted by skingame:
              I tried searching the forums for discussions on the subject of "cymbal swells" and didn't get anywhere fast. ok maybe i was a little lazy and didn't scour all the way through each thread.
              I solve the problem by using accoustic cymbals along with my V's. Not trying to dodge, but frankly A's are way mo' betta at swells than V's.

- Hans

- Hans

Comment

C. Jude,

I use mallets on e's when triggering timpani for shows. It just feels natural. The single strokes are a little easier with the mallets too. It may be a whole psychological thing, but damn it Jude, I'm a drummer, not a doctor!
                V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

Wow...all I can say is: get ready to replace your drums.

I'd never use mallets on the vdrums. In fact, they are supposed to work with brushes, but I don't even try to use them for it, as it's a cool parlour trick and that's about it...never got them to do convincing brush work.

Keep your mallets away from my V's!!!

redbrick
                  My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
                    BTW, WTF? Are you guys serious about mallets? The attack isn't influenced by what you hit the pad with... you are triggering samples! (You can use two bricks or two balls of yarn if you are strong and fast enough and get the exact same swell... sheesh.)
                    That's why I use mallets once in a while. Feels a lot more natural, although the other tools you use probably make the women go "Oooooh."
                    My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Originally posted by redbrick:
                      Wow...all I can say is: get ready to replace your drums.

I'd never use mallets on the vdrums. In fact, they are supposed to work with brushes, but I don't even try to use them for it, as it's a cool parlour trick and that's about it...never got them to do convincing brush work.

Keep your mallets away from my V's!!!

redbrick
                      funny thing (brushes) were the final selling point for me buying the v's (well a lot of drummers dont even play brushes)

Comment

Still looking for a serious answer?

My old TD5 and my current TD6 have a cymbal patch just for swells called (interestingly enough) "cymbal sw". The other modules will surely have this patch.

The correct way to get it to work with pads or CY6's (or other CY's) is to do a buzz roll on the pad and vary the pressure, starting from very light to strong, then back down again (if you want a very slow decay). Been doing this for 3 years now. Works every time, even without malletts!!

Have fun!
                        I think, therefore I am....or at least I think I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Slash Crazy:
                          Still looking for a serious answer?

My old TD5 and my current TD6 have a cymbal patch just for swells called (interestingly enough) "cymbal sw". The other modules will surely have this patch.
                          I can't find "cymbal sw" on my TD6. Closest thing is a Swell Cr (#609), which is a crash, with what sounds like a swell sample over it. Doesn't work all that well with rolls. Is there one I'm missing?

------------------

Comment

Hah!

Made ya look!

Comment

The limitation of two regions or sounds per pad dictates a workaround. The TD-8 does have the crash cymbal swell patch but of course it would take up one of two sounds which I usually reserve for bell and surface sounds. I primarily use the swells for the beginning of a particular song so a workaround would be to create a specific patch just for cymbal swells using the cymbal swell sound on several pads with different settings (pitch, decay etc.). Then switch using a foot switch or by hand to the patch needed for the rest of the song.

Some patch chaining would be needed to go back and forth etc. Hmmm. I wonder if my SPD-20 has cymbal swells???

Comment

Working...
                              X