Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Vinnie Colaiuta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Colaiuta

After listening to Vinnie over the years, from Joes Garage to Karizma, I must say he is all around the greatest drummer of our time. I hate using the "greatest" word, for there are many great drummers, but this guy can play anything. And his technical ability in odd times cant be touched. I have a good friend who has played drums for years and introduced me to Vinnie's music. While I cant understand it, I can appreciate his diversity, creativity and technicality. Neil, is another favorite ofcourse in rock, but Vinnie and Weckl take drumming to a whole other level.

I think some of Vinnes tastiest stuff was on Stings Ten Summoners Tales....great CD.
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

agree...and from what i read in an interview from vinnie, much of that had to do with his interaction with sting

Comment

I went to Berklee with Vinnie, J.R. Robinson and Steve Smith and Kenwood Dennard.
        I graduated in 1977 and have been fortunate to have stayed active in drumming all these years. :}

------------------
        Woody
        Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

I've only really seen/heard the stuff on the MD 2000 festival video. Though it's not really my type of music, he's definatly a good player.
          td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

He will sleep better knowing that you grant him that, Industrial,...
            Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
            Presonus Firepod
            Reaper
            Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

I agree. Ten Summoners tales is great. Seven days in particular stands out.

Comment

I really liked his solo recording. It was really cool but didn't sound too much like a typical drummer's solo effort. Sure there are some drum solos and odd time signatures but the effects on the solos make them sound more like interesting textures than chops fests (even though they are full of jaw dropping chops). Wish he would make another one.

Other favorites of mine:
                Joe's Garage Acts I II & III
                Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar
                Tinseltown Rebellion (ZAPPA)

Ten Summoner's Tales (Sting)

Thanks to Frank (Warren Cuccurulo)

I also love the track "Fill Her Up" on Sting's Brand New Day CD. As with Seven Days, nobody else could have played that track the same way.
                Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Hey Woody, were you a student of Gary Chaffee's at Berklee (like Vinnie and Steve Smith)? If not, who did you study with?

Comment

I studied with Alan Dawson.

------------------
                    Woody
                    Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woody:
                      I went to Berklee with Vinnie, J.R. Robinson and Steve Smith and Kenwood Dennard.
                      I graduated in 1977 and have been fortunate to have stayed active in drumming all these years. :}

hey woody -

kenwood is my teacher. i'll say hello to him if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody:
                        I studied with Alan Dawson.

DANG! Even more impressive!!

I've read a little about Dawson's teaching methods--variations on Syncopation and Stick Control, playing rudiments with brushes, dead-sticking and such. What one thing was most surprising about the man? Was there any time where he played something that you never would have expected (like a heavy metal beat for example) or was there any time when he suggested some weird unorthodox approach or lesson?

Just curious,
                        klp

Comment

Yes, those cd's KLP mentioned are great ones. Fill her up on the Brand New Day sting Cd is really good and i dont think anyone could play it that way (the last 40 seconds of the song that is). Shut up and play yer guitar is great too. I think the amazing thing about Vinnie, on top of his technique, is his ability to play many styles incredibly well. From jazz, pop to rock, he adapts so well. I'd like to see Weckl branch out and stop playing elevator jazz all the time. Weckl is an amazing player but enough with that lame keyboard elevator jazz style. I recently bought Presto from Rush, good CD.

Comment

When I studied with Alan there wasn't much of a metal scene that people were in to.
                            JAZZ was what we were in to and rock drumming, also.
                            Pages 37-44 in Ted Reed's Syncopation book was the where it was at concerning lesson with Alan. He taught me alot of different variations of how to play those exercises that helped make me a better drummer than I was.
                            Alan was a very mellow guy and very soft spoken. An excellent teacher.
                            I learned alot from him, probably more than any previous teacher I had.

------------------
                            Woody
                            Woody

Comment

wow another cool post
                              what frank says about vinnie, hell i even kinda like the stuff he did with sting.
                              wow and its my 200th post!

Comment

Working...
                              X