Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

First Annual Seattle E-Drum Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Annual Seattle E-Drum Summit

As Ed Morin (Drumbalaya) has suggested that we might include our Ddrum brethren, I've decided that in the spirit of "us against them," we'll henceforth refer to the impending gathering as the "First Annual Seattle E-Drum Summit."

Let the games begin!

-Danny
    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Originally posted by fartnokker:
    Let the games begin!
    First round is drinking 34 glasses of beer after eating 230 eggs while saying Yamaha DTX is the best
    Robert

Comment

eggs & beer??

wow. now that's fuel.

erik

Comment

Awright, Putt, this means you need to plan a trip here for the next one!!!!

-Danny
        -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

FLASH: Just confirmed our reservations for tonight, and we'll be in room 10 instead of room 12.

See you all there!

-Danny
          -Danny

Comment

The First Annual Seattle E-Drum Summit is now history.

With about a dozen attendees, the shindig went off (almost) without a hitch. Although the venue screwed around with us over the room, we finally got a room with a marginal PA. We had a number of Roland, Ddrum, Hart & Pintech products for people to wail on, and wail they did!

Ed & company from Drumbalaya get the award for bringing the most gear, including a Ddrum4 SE kit and a Hart Professional rig w/TD-8. Darren gets the award for the longest commute, coming to us from Vancouver, B.C.

The coolest playing demonstration came from Kelly (KLP), who treated us to some beautiful melodies using steel pan sounds on his Roland/Pintech kit.

As for the best E-Drum kit, I'm sure the very subjective jury will remain out, but in my opinion:

- The Roland TD-10xp wins hands-down for best features & tweakability.

- The Ddrum4 makes a strong argument for best out-of-the-box sounds.

- Hart wins in my book for the nicest-looking pads, with the hammered-steel look. Pintech's new covered-finish pads are pretty darned nice, tho; Ed had one in a nice marine pearl finish a la Gene Krupa.

In short, all of the above have their strong points. The Yamaha DTXtreme was not represented, thus could not be evaluated.

The after-meeting BS session between Ed, Jason, Kelly, Darren, and myself only broke up about an hour later due to Darren's EXTREMELY long drive home. Let us know you made it okay, pal.

Pizza and drinks came courtesy of Drumbalaya, and I think someone (Dan the Speakerman?) had a digital camera on hand to record the event.

Modest though it was, I think it was a great beginning, and possibly an indicator of even better events to come. Before we even tore down the gear, plans were being tossed around for an even bigger get-together.

The evening was capped off by a tribal/latin/middle-eastern/random noise jam that took us to closing time involving Ed, Dan, Jason, Darren, Kelly and moi. Fun time, guys!

Needless to say, we WILL do this again, albeit bigger and better organized. Sorry about the haphazard nature of the event, folks, but we'll plan better next time.

That's one V-Drums.com area meeting in the can... What a great bunch of folks we had on hand. Everyone was friendly, generous, and had rhythm. What more could you ask for?

-Danny

-Danny

Comment

I'm home and safe, although it was a tougher drive than normal (I've done that drive *many* times)... it took 1.5 cans of Red Bull to keep me feeling good behind the wheel all the way home. Now I'll be awake for a week.

Well worth it though. That was fun, it was great to meet everyone, a special thanks to everyone for bringing all that wondrously cool gear, and a special, special thanks to Ed for the pizza! The variety of the e-drum sounds really showed, there were some pretty melodious things happening in our ever-changing four man "electronic drum circle" (some steel drum, some Latin, some tribal African things, and plenty of Roland "yeeee-owwwww" sounds Let's do it again!

Comment

Yes, it was definitely a blast! I thought for sure somebody would have brought some Roland V-cymbals, so I didn't bring any. I thought about it when I was loading up the Jeep, but it was busting at the seems as it was.

I'm glad folks enjoyed seeing the gear. I brought things that I know I had questions about and desperately wanted to see, try and feel that are generally not easily found in stores. I wish I had a complete Pintech Vision kit that I could have brought, but at least we got a taste of it.

By the time we do another event like this, we should have Yamaha DTXtreme represented. It's been a long process, but the Yamaha National Sales Manager just confirmed us as a dealer this past Friday. Now comes the long hard process of selecting which gear to select for our Web site, which demo gear to get for the store, etc. Any suggestions/favorites??

I really enjoyed seeing what folks thought about each of the different kits. If any of you that attended have other comments, etc., I'd love to hear them. One of the problems was that we were all so busy wanting to maximize the "play time" while we had the room that we didn't have time to talk much afterwards (hence the parking-lot visit time after we cleaned up).

There were a few things I think would improve the event next time around, not sure what others think, but here's my $0.02 adjusted for inflation:

1. Have the "play time" earlier and leave time for visiting and discussion later so folks like Darren don't have to guzzle Red Bull to drag themselves back home later. Maybe even combine it with a roundtable dinner event so as to not worry about getting food on the gear... (Not that it was a problem as everybody was careful, but with a larger group it could be.)

2. Ensure there is adequate time for setup. Have some setup guidelines like "no use of PA's until everybody's kit is tweaked and ready" The sympathetic resonance from the PA speakers made tweaking challenging as various folks found out.

3. Make a list of what everybody is bringing to ensure the widest possible range of products to be represented (that folks have an interest in of course). I think this was a part of the event folks enjoyed -- trying different things to see what others here and on ddrums.com have been talking about.

4. If there were a way to have BOTH a "test drive" period of trying each of the different kits independently and then bringing together for a group jam time later, that would be cool.

5. I wondered if some sort of "topical" session(s) might have been interesting. It could be around a particular drumming technique (latin?), gear (I could have talked a bit more about the kits I brought if folks were interested), using MIDI (the sole female drummer that showed up had an interest in using MIDI with a TD-8), etc. Obviously this takes more planning.

6. A number of folks wondered if using the term "annual" was too limiting. Terms such as "semi-annual," "quarterly," and "bi-monthly" were considered...

But as Charlotte said this morning, "Hey, for $60, that was pretty good." I think altogether with the room, food, etc., the total budget was actually right around $100 with everybody kicking in around $10 - $20 each as I recall (not sure since Danny split up the bill for the room and there were a few folks that showed up as guests).

Thanks to Danny and a number of you who took the initiative to actually pull something like this off before 2010! I enjoyed meeting you all.

Ed

P.S. Too bad nobody from ddrums.com made it. I'm not sure if it was because of the short notice or the lack of obtaining "parental consent"...
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Drumbalaya! Specializing in electronic drum equipment.
                Ed Morin [ mailto:[email protected] ]
                Phone: 866-881-9313 / 425-881-9313 FAX: 425-881-6000 http://www.drumbalaya.com

[This message has been edited by edm (edited May 27, 2002).]

Comment

Good suggestions Ed. I have nothing whatsoever against unstructured bashing around but it would have been good to have heard more of the all the kits (and the drummers!)

Perhaps a brief solo spot for anyone who wants it, where they can share their current "favourite practice exercises"? I know Dan the Speakerman was interested in my massive, way out there, Dave-Weckl-eat-your-heart-out, single paradiddle exercise

Another thing I would consider....I may be a bit of a wuss since I don't have much live playing experience but for me it was kind of a loud evening.... I hate to suggest this Danny, and I loved the hybrid kit, but I'm almost thinking future events should be acoustic drum free - Ed can throw you a few Cy-6s . We had the volume of *all* the E's cranked to sound good with the acoustic snare and cymbals, and then we played four kits at once, and the result was pretty loud. After all, one of the main benefits of e's is to be able to play them at any volume you want. The other benefit of turning down the volume a bit might be better, more nuanced sound. The PA we had was not quite up to the task at the volumes we were at, IMHO, so it was not as easy to hear the differences between the sounds of the kits... I didn't hear any of that vaunted superiority of the ddrum drum sounds since the PA (I thought) could not really reproduce them that well.... the ddrum cymbals sounded immediately better than Roland (to me) since they weren't pushing the PA that hard, but all the kicks, snares, and toms of all the kits sounded the same to my ears.

Or I'll just bring earplugs... that might be an easier solution

Darren

Comment

I had a really great time meeting you all last night, and playing the different kits was an enlightening experience.

Two very special thanks to Danny for getting this whole show on the road and seeing it through (how unusual for a musician! ). Also a big thanks to Ed for bringing those wonderful ddrum and Hart kits for us to try! And especially for the pizza and sodie pop! Ed's one cool cat.

As far as the kit's themselves, everything had it's merits. Kelly's Pintechs are very nice pads with a response about as good as any there, and proved themselves to be a very viable contender with the Rolands and the rest.

I liked the ddrums quite a bit! The hi hat unit is fantastic, with the best pedal feel short of the real thing. Also, the cymbal sounds, especially the ride, were simply outstanding.

The Hart kit stole the show for aesthetics, though Danny's modified Pro kit was an entertaining topic of conversation at evenings end . The Hart cymbals are just too cool looking, and the ride has an actual bell zone on the bell itself. This kit played really well.

Danny's Pro kit, mixed with real cymbals, was a joy to play, and really seems to fit his character!

I gotta say I was most impressed with how good you guys all are; I was the only real novice there. My saving grace was the crasher that came in from another rehearsal room, did his best Keith Moon-meets-Animal-on-meth (read BOMBASTIC, obnoxious, zero groove) solos for a few minutes and left. Then when I started to just play my simple little beats, I actually sounded ok by comparison! Thanks for carrying me everyone!

Darren, thanks for showing me your applied paradiddle theory...that was really cool!

Kelly (KLP), thanks for the kit time on your Pintechs; that was great fun doing the tabla groove thang!

Jason (snared), it was great to finally meet you! We should hook up again at my place for an afternoon sometime soon.

I was the one with the digi cam, but only about half the pics turned out semi-presentable... "Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a photographer!" Here are the net-worthy ones!

Danny on the ddrums

Darren on the Harts with Ed

Red Eyed Drum Demon!

Ed on KLP's Pintech rig

Truly a family event! We even had dancing bears and JP Patches on hand! That's an expert shot of Kelly's back, too...this is why I don't work at National Geographic, folks.

Jason putting on a polyrhythm clinic!

Thanks again, everyone! I'll bring my bass AND my amp next time

------------------
                    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

Dan, I'm so disappointed... no pix of my Krylon-finished kit! And to think I spent almost $5 to get it looking as good as it does!

Seriously, it was a really good time, guys. I think Ed's suggestions are good, constructive ones, and can be counted as lessons learned.

When I suggested the dinner, then playing thing originally, the reception was mixed at best. Maybe after this initial foray into E-Drum gatherings, it'll look better to the folks who attended.

I think that the designated setup/soundcheck time before unleashing the general chaos is a good idea, as well. We'll definitely need to come up with a larger venue & better PA next time... Ed, does Don Bennett have anything suitable? This could be the start of something really good.

I'd be willing to help organize a "Second First-Annual Seattle E-Drum Summit" if the interest is there. This time, though, we'd want to plan it further in advance and set a schedule to work by. Let me know, folks, if this is something I should work on.

-Danny

-Danny

Comment

I had a great time and would like to get together again soon.

The highlights for me were:
                        Meeting everybody!
                        Listening to Danny's CD.
                        Getting a chance to play a melody from the v-drums.
                        Playing with Dan the Speakerman on a rock a rock and roll jam and listening to Dan groove on the Tabla patch. (Don't let his self-effacing manner fool ya, he knows a thing or two about playing a groove.)
                        BSing in the parking lot afterwards.

As far as how we can all get more out of future events: I agree with all of Ed's suggestions and the constructive comments from others as well. Maybe the next one should be treated more like a "e-drum user's group" meeing--where we have a stated agenda.

Based on what others have suggested I think a typical agenda might be something like this:

1) Set up/sound check
                        2) ROUNDTABLE
                        Here everyone could have up to 15 minutes to talk about/demonstrate things that they are working on, listening to, aspiring to etc. In the interest of time it would be ok to "pass" as we go around the room. (This way no one would be required to play or talk in front of the group if they are not comfortable with that.)
                        3) MAIN EVENT/MINI-CLINIC: For this portion one member could have the stage for 30 (45?60?) minutes. Topics could include: a structured jam session with a designated "leader", presentation of a particular style/groove, a product demo from one of us or from a manufacturer's rep etc. I'd love to hear/see Danny play along with tracks from the upcoming Liquid Messiah release!
                        4) FREE SKATE. Here is where the random bashing/jamming/discussing could come in. If the group is a reasonable size (like it was on Sunday) then everyone should be able to get some hands on time.
                        5) FOOD & BEVERAGES!

Personally I would love to get together once a month if we can find a suitable (cheap!) venue. Hey Ed, do you have enough room in your retail space to accomodate all of us?

[This message has been edited by klp (edited May 28, 2002).]
                        Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Outstanding suggestions all, Kelly. Well, except for the one about me playing along to the CD... I might need to provide some earplugs for everyone!

If a suitable venue could be found, I think that the presentation/roundtable format would be great. Topics such as KLP's melodic drumming (Terry Bozzio, eat your heart out!), setup and tweaking, tips & tricks, and general Q & A sessions would probably help people of all skill levels.

Venue is always gonna be a bit of a bugaboo, though. We'd need a combination of large space, large PA, accessibility, and reasonable cost. At the very worst, though, a Users Group-type meeting would be fun and helpful for many. Ed could bring samples and/or literature for new products, people could ask & answer technical & general questions...

Even getting help on tweaking sounds could be accomplished by bringing nothing more than a brain (electronic, that is), a pad, cable, & a set of headphones.

Oh yeah, like Kelly said, Dan the Speakerman ain't nearly as bad as he makes himself out to be... He's playin' possum here on the web!

-Danny
                          -Danny

Comment

Hey, thanks Kelly and Danny! Compliments from real drummers like yourselves mean a lot!

I just wanted to chime in my support for doing another get together as you've been discussing...I rather like Ed and Kelly's ideas for structuring the event. As Danny said, it's just a question of venue.

Danny, the pics I took of your kit....just didn't do it justice, man! Seriously, folks, it's a SWEET rig!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by klp:
                              I had a great time and would like to get together again soon.

[snip]

Personally I would love to get together once a month if we can find a suitable (cheap!) venue. Hey Ed, do you have enough room in your retail space to accomodate all of us?

[This message has been edited by klp (edited May 28, 2002).]
                              I certainly have no problem hosting a once-a-month get-together at our place -- for free even, but it does have its limitations (some of which could be somewhat easily rectified:

1. It isn't large. Our "showroom" is an experiment and is only about 480 square feet and getting pretty full of kits. We figure we have room for 6 kits and are currently set up with 4 and a few on the way. I guess the benefit is not having to set up any gear, the disadvantage is no room for anybody to bring a kit. We all enjoyed seeing Kelly's and Danny's kits and I'm sure we'd love to see others as well. Anybody who has customized a kit is fun to talk with and understand why they made the decisions they did for their particular needs/wants. The other issue here is not much "standing room" for spectators -- it's pretty jammed. Hey, the rent's cheap, what can I say?

2. The only PA we have right now is a Roland KC-100 with several of the kits into different inputs; hardly effective for parallel jamming, etc. When we demo kits, we often just use headphones out of consideration for the neighbors...

3. And, speaking of the neighbors, we'd probably have to do our event at a time that was considerate of them. There is some latitude and I imagine if we kept the "free skate" time until after 5pm, we'd probably be reasonable. I'd have to ask around a bit on that...

4. Donn Bennett has a large rehearsal room, but even his "largest room" is smaller than the one we were in, so I don't think that's an option. HOWEVER, I know several folks that have warehouse space we could consider. I'm a bit worried about the acoustics though... It's a bit tough to find space where you can make all the noise you want. Isn't that partly what drove us all to e-drums in the first place??

I'll start nosing around for something we could use on a regular basis. If we got a large warehouse-type space, what could we do cheaply and easily to help with the acoustics?

As for PA gear, I'm sure we can either find somebody to help sponsor it or we may buy an amp and mixer board we could use unless somebody has one they're willing to pack around. Actually, come to think of it, our church has one.... Hmmm...

Other ideas anyone?

Ed
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Drumbalaya! Specializing in electronic drum equipment.
                              Ed Morin [ mailto:[email protected] ]
                              Phone: 866-881-9313 / 425-881-9313 FAX: 425-881-6000 http://www.drumbalaya.com

Comment

Working...
                              X