Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V-Club owner: Should I buy a TD-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Club owner: Should I buy a TD-10?

I stopped by a music store today to buy some sticks and happened to mention I play E's. The guy led me over to where he had a used TD-10 module (unexpanded) and said he wanted $600 for it. This seems to be a good deal to me.

However, $600 very much a stretch to my budget after buying my V-Club set, though. I figure I can probably unload the TD-6 (either to him in a trade or on FleaBay) to recoup some of this. I'm strongly considering this.

The one thing I'm wondering is are there actually features that the TD-6 has that the TD-10 doesn't? I know the TD-10 has the COSM modeling and various things that the TD-6 doesn't have. But the TD-6 is a much newer module, and I thought that it might have things not found on its older cousin.

Or, said more simply, are there any compelling reasons to keep a TD-6 when I can probably get my hands on a TD-10? Finally, does anyone know if the TD-10 will fit on my V-Club's mount for the TD-6? Are the holes in the same spot?

I am very close to going back and buying it, but I wanted to hear some opinions on if $600 is a good price for an unexpanded TD-10 (assuming it's in decent working condition) and if there is any reason whatsoever that I'll prefer the TD-6 to the TD-10. The guy said he offers a 30 day guarantee if it's broken or whatever, so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for any and all input!

-Tony
    kit pr0n.

Oh, and if anyone has any comments on the sample quality between TD-6 and TD-10 (someone who's tried both) that would be helpful too. I don't care all that much about the "gimmicky" sounds. I have heard the toms are much better on the TD-10, but I like some of the snares on the TD-6... Does the TD-10 still have good snares?
    kit pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
      Hi Tonycpsu,
      so you'd better budget for buying one, too.
      Wow, the TDW-1 seems to be about $269 where I've looked... Any chance I'll be able to live without it, or is the base TD-10 really that lacking in the quality sounds department? $269 is a lot to pay for a ballad ride sound

How bad is the S/N ratio on the TD-10? It amazes me that a higher-end product would have a lower S/N ratio than a lower-end product, but I guess that's what years of improvements will do.

Also... Roland talks in very general terms with "improves sensitivity and dynamics in hi-hat and cymbals." Is it more that the TD-10 is really lacking in this department, or is it just that the TDW-1 improves on sounds that are already very good? Are the cymbals on my TD-6 going to sound better than the cymbals on an unexpanded TD-10?

Thanks for your info! Still torn, though.
      kit pr0n.

Comment

Okay well I couldn't help myself, I went out and got the TD-10 and it seems to be in good working order. All inputs and outputs seem to be working.

Feefer, I do think there's some more noise in the signal than on the TD-6, but not so much that I notice unless I'm listening for it.

But I have yet to figure out all the various menus and such on the TD-10 (after finally mastering my TD-6!) and I'll be doing that shortly. Cymbals seemed to sound very dead until I selected "PD5" as the trigger type, I guess if I add on the TDW-1 I'll see the V-Cymbal models show up....

Anyway right now things look good, just gotta find my way around it and decide if I like it over the TD-6. If not, there's always E-Bay. At least there's nothing wrong with it that I can tell, not bad for $636 after tax!
        kit pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by tonycpsu:
          Okay well I couldn't help myself, I went out and got the TD-10
          ****, too late ...
          Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
            ****, too late ...
            Let me guess, you were going to try to talk me out of buying it and then ask me where it was?

[This message has been edited by tonycpsu (edited June 15, 2002).]
            kit pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by tonycpsu:
              Let me guess, you were going to try to talk me out of buying it and then ask me where it was?
              Robert

Comment

Working...
              X