Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Good/decent playalong CDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good/decent playalong CDs?

For practicing, I always find myself turning back to Dave Weckl's In Session Series "Rhythm of the Soul" CD from 1998. On top of that I have three German CDs (jamtracks vol. 1 and 2 by Dirk Brand and the relatively new Super Playalong by Tom Hapke, which is ok). On top of that, I have quite a number of good CDs (without drums) which I enjoy playing to.

I was wondering, if there are any playalong CDs out there which have the same excellent production value and musicianship displayed by Dave Weckl's Rhythm of the Soul. So far, I haven't been able to find any. Maybe they don't exist?

Helpful suggestions, anyone?

My equipment:
    :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
    :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
    :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
    :: 1x FD-7
    :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
    :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
    :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
    :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...

Personally, I love practicing to drumless CDs. I think it's a great tool.

There are a few options out there. The Vic Firth Artist CD's are pretty good. I have the most recent one as well as the Rudess/Morgenstein Project(hard to find, but cool). The latter might sound a little dated, but what you can learn is great.

I've heard of a series caled "Turn it up! Lay it Down!" Which, to the best of my knowledge, has tracks in several different styles minus the drum parts that you just put your own grooves to.

If you like drum videos and don't mind spending a little extra, you can check out the "Inspiring Drummers Series". These are video/CD packages, with the CDs featuring the songs from the video with both full and drum-less mixes. My personal favorite is the Will Kennedy/Bob Gatzen, "Be A DrumHead". The nice thing about that package is that most of the tracks are broken down into sections so you can practice short things while still being productive. They go into further detail in the video. The one prioir to that in the series is the Dennis Chambers/Tony Royster Jr. "Common Ground". That's a performance video more than an instructional. Decent performance. Good tracks. the songs aren't broken down like they are on "DrumHead", but they still have the full/drumless mixes.

A new package came out in that series recently called "Taking Care of Business". I believe that one feautes Billy Ashbaugh, the drummer for the 'NSync live band. It also has a CD broken down into full, drum-less, and practice sections like the Kennedy/Gatzen. I haven't watched that one for myself. Regardless of what you think of the act itself, one has to admit the guy has a pretty good gig. Something could be learned.

...Maybe I'll check that out when I have a little more money.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi Jaay,

thanx for your reply. I'm just checking out some of the stuff you mentioned and have found this link: http://www.drumfun.com/

Quote:

"For those of you who don't know what Turn It Up...is, It's 20 different killer bass guitar lines to play along with. Styles range from electric funk to upright jazz. Different tempos and real bass players make it the most fun to jam to...There are also 5 bonus "Groove Study" tracks at the end that make you use what you've learned. [...] The Berklee College of Music just made it a mandatory part of the curriculum for level 1 and 2 drummers. Also used at Drummers Collective in New York City and Music Tech in Minneapolis MN and endorsed by The Drum Instuctors Guild."

I'm going to try to find some of those Vic Firth CDs on the Net ... haven't been successful yet ...
      My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Hi,

Cyberjam has got some drumless MP3's on his ftp site. Try this

Comment

Thanx for sharing the link ... have started downloading
          My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

There are tons of book/play-along CD packages available. My favorite play-along CDs are:

Dennis Chambers: "Serious Moves" & "In the Pocket" (play-along with John Scofield!!)

David Garibaldi "The Funky Beat"

John Riley "The Art of Bop Drumming" and "Beyond Bop Drumming"

Robbie Ameen "Funkifying the Clave"

I have a few others but those are the ones that seem to be in top rotation. There is a lot of challenging material there.
            Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Hi klp,

I was actually wondering what the David Garibaldi ("The Funky Beat") one was like. How about a really brief review?

Robbie Ameen? The other ones you mentioned are on my shopping list, but that doesn't tell me anything. Will start surfin' the Net for some info. Thanx for your input.
              My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

The Funky Beat is actually a companion to Garibaldi's Tower of Groove videos (vol 1 & 2). I highly recommend BOTH the book and the videos!

On the videos and in the book are transcriptions of many of the classic Tower of Power grooves (too bad the play-along doesn't include any T.O.P. material!).

There are ~8 play along tunes on the CDs. The song styles vary from Latin/smooth-jazz "Soca/Rhumba" to Tower of Power influenced funk "Escape from Oakland" to jazz-hop "4-N Matter." The book includes a transcription of all of the grooves from the play-along tunes and drum charts too.

Throughout the video Garibaldi stresses that you cerainly don't HAVE to play what he plays. In fact most of the tunes are generic enough that you could play along with just a simple rock beat. If you are more advanced than that you could try Garibaldi's parts or create your own.

The thing that I REALLY like about this collection is it gives you a pretty deep insight into his playing. I noticed a few idiosyncracies in Garibaldi's chops/style that I would not have been aware of otherwise--many of his sticking patterns start on the left hand for example; or he seems to prefer to compose a drum part rather than improvise one most of the time.

As far as the Robbie Ameen book. It is actually a book for bassist and drummers. Lincoln Goines provides the bass content. It is a crash course in contemporary latin drumming by a couple of guys who know the territory very well. Robbie Ameen has played with Dizzy Gillespie, Dave Valentin, Ruben Blades and dozens of others.

The book covers various styles including Songo, Guaguanco, Cha Cha, Nanigo (afro-cuban) and more. The material is really challenging and the play along is a lot of fun.

Since this is an instructional book for bassists as well, you could go through it with your friendly neighborhood bass player too.

Keep me posted on what you buy and how you like it.

At one time I thought I would post a file of me playing along with "So You Say" from the Dennis Chambers play along but after listening to the play back I realized that would not be such a good idea. It felt great when I played it but it sure didn't sound like Dennis when I listened back...
                Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Thanx for the lengthy and insightful reply, klp.

I think I'm gonna go for the Garibaldi collection (because I keep investing into my set, I'm including Garibali on my birthday wishlist). I saw him something like two years ago at a local festival and noticed his sticking patterns as well. Should be interesting to take those apart and integrate them into what I can (or cannot) do.

I also checked on Robbie Ameen on the Net and now that I've read your review, I think that stuff might be a little to challenging for me at the moment. After a year at my TD-10 I'm still trying to get my chops back after a longer absence from drumming, and what I want to work on next are second line-influenced grooves.

Thanks again for taking the time out to write your review(s).

Kudos!

P.S.: You should've heard me playing along with Rene Creemers (Drummer's Inspiration) ...
                  My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Just a question: where do the mp3's on Cyberjam's site (which I like) actually come from? Were they taken off some CD, are they recorded by him or someone on this site ... or ...
                    My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Another option that was mentioned on the board a while ago is using ACID to make your own songs. You can get ACID programs w/loops for as low as 20 bucks.
                      td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

ftp://virtualjam:[email protected]/Drumless%20MP3's/

It keeps telling me "the password was not allowed" or "cannot locate web page"

I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Hi Industrial Drummer,

I've actually done quite a lot of "composing" with Acid Pro. What I usually do is put together long percussion tracks to play along to. Also, their weekly 8-track package is a good thing to just download, remove the drums etc. and ... jam.

Clymore: Are you trying to download more than two tracks at once? There's some sort of bandwidth limit I also encountered. Could also happen if too many people are leeching. Try again with one file. If it works, add another download, etc. Wait for a while if you get strange forbidden messages.

[This message has been edited by deus62 (edited June 11, 2002).]
                          My equipment:

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
                            ftp://virtualjam:[email protected]/Drumless%20MP3's/

It keeps telling me "the password was not allowed" or "cannot locate web page"
                            I didn't have any problems grabbing those MP3's using a true FTP client... Using a browser seemed to be problematic though.

Those MP3's are great to play along to... Not too fancy on the other instruments, so there's lots of room to put in some fills and complex beats. Anyone know of any other drumless songs to be found? I'm going to look into some of the CD's and collections mentioned in this thread, but I'd love to find some more tunes to play along to in the mean time.
                            kit pr0n.

Comment

I like playing a long with the album Californication from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
                              When you're a beginner, there's loads of stuff to start with, but there's still some thing I can't play properly

------------------
                              My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles
                              Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
                              X