Is Neil smoking crack or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Neil smoking crack or what?

Okay, so I'm psyched about getting my tickets for the Rush show in St. Louis (they're selling fast everywhere, fellas), despite the fact that I have been utterly underwhelmed by everything I've heard off of Vapor Trails so far. I figure, hey, put on a good show like you always do and I'll forgive you for having put out such a dog of an album. And then, while perusing an established Rush fan site, I run into this:

"Neil has still not ordered a new drum kit as of yet so the red sparkle drums
    remain so far and for the first time since 1984 he is considering dropping the
    electronics/ ddrums all together from his drumkit.
    He is also working on a new
    presentation for a drum solo as well."

The electronic stuff he did was the coolest portion of the drum solo to begin with! What the hell is going on up there in Toronto? Has Neil taken one trip too many to "Bogota to check Colombian fields"?

I'm not finding myself in a minimalist mood when it comes to seeing one of my favorite bands live. Dammit, I want fire, explosions, six-foot-tall effects racks, doublenecks, dancing girls, lasers, and ELECTRONIC DRUMS!

Hell, Neil, why don't you just cut your kit down to a four-piece? A rock drummer playing a four-piece DW kit---now that would be original....

Props to Terry Bozzio and Mike Portnoy for realizing that sometimes more is more. When it comes to entertaining the masses, simply being good at your instrument isn't always enough.....
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

rush rocks.......i have zero negative to say when it comes to the band that has given me so much.i owe them alot.geddy,alex and neil rock on.............L8TR.
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade:
      [B]Hell, Neil, why don't you just cut your kit down to a four-piece? A rock drummer playing a four-piece DW kit---now that would be original....

[B]
      What's wrong with playing a four-piece kit..?? Personally, I'd rather see someone be creative on a bare bones kit than see a bombastic display of percussion...

Keep in mind that the average music listener, (aka, people who buy CD's, concert tickets, etc.) could care less whether a guy has electronics, acoustics, a twenty five piece kit or a two piece kit..they just want to ROCK!!

Comment

They've given me a lot and I owe them a lot, too. And that's precisely the reason I'm so pissed at them right now.

I just don't feel that Rush are changing on their own terms anymore. Rush has never been and never will be a mainstream band, yet they have a large and devoted fan base that accepts them almost regardless of what they do. But instead of using this to their advantage and establishing their own direction, Rush seem to be more concerned with what everyone else is doing and whether or not they're "keeping up with the times." In case no one's noticed, there aren't exactly a large number of new bands popping up to take the torch from the veteran bands, and that's because most of them just simply aren't any good. That the reason why "dinosaur" bands like the Eagles can tour and command ticket prices of $135.00---no one's out there to knock them off the mountain. I want the young bands to come out kicking ass, but it ain't happening, and I think at this point in time it's ridiculous for a group like Rush to try and emulate them. Now, if this was a conscious decision of the band's to "get back to their roots", then so be it, but I don't believe that it is.

Rush are too worried about being the old guys at the party, and their music is suffering for it. As a fan, I don't want to be pandered to, but I least expect my musical heroes to understand the concept of knowing which side the bread is buttered on. I've got a lot of faith in Rush, but it's no longer the blind faith it used to be.......
        TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by captain54:
          What's wrong with playing a four-piece kit..?? Personally, I'd rather see someone be creative on a bare bones kit than see a bombastic display of percussion...

Keep in mind that the average music listener, (aka, people who buy CD's, concert tickets, etc.) could care less whether a guy has electronics, acoustics, a twenty five piece kit or a two piece kit..they just want to ROCK!!

Point taken, captain54, but let me say this about that:

1. Rush=bombast. Bombast is what got them where they are. Now, there's nothing wrong with playing a four-piece kit, it's just that I don't want to see Neil Peart doing it. I'm sure he could bull**** his way through "Xanadu" on a four-piece kit, but would it sound right? If you seat the same drummer behing two different sets, you're simply giving him more options on a larger set. It's like the difference between watching a black-and-white TV versus a color one. Even a guy like John Bonham--acknowledged as one of the masters of the small set--used timpani, a gong, and a ching ring live. It's just about having more and different sounds.....

2. Do you think that Rush's core audience is comprised of "average music listeners"?

Cheers,

Mick
          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

2. Do you think that Rush's core audience is comprised of "average music listeners"?

I don't know, but here's the real issue...

Quite possibly, the reason Rush may be disappointing their core audience is that they realize that 70's and early 80's bombasticism is way out of fashion...

You can't pay the bills by playing to your core group of die hards, unfortunately...

that's not to say that Rush should abandon what's made them what they are and start a Backstreet boys or n'sync vibe....

I might be wrong, but I look at a group like Moby, and like them or not, to me they represent more of the direction of where popular music is going....stripped down, vibed out, and creative all the way..

Comment

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but...

God knows I love Rush; I have the drum transcription of the opening bar of YYZ tattooed around my left bicep. However,

I don't think that any group/performer/artist need make excuses or explainations for whatever they do musically. If a "core fan" doesn't like their newer material, tough sh!t. It most likely reflects the changes that the persons in the group have gone through in the past, oh, 5 or 6 years. It doesn't sound like their old stuff because it isn't their old stuff.

When Signals came out, lots of people said that Rush had sold out, gone commercial, and were trying too hard to "keep up with the times." Not only did it signal (pun intended) a new direction for the band, ONCE AGAIN, but it spawned their most successful commercial single up to that time.

Now 20 years later, after a 5-year hiatus, they are going to sound different once again. If they didn't, then they'd be accused by some of being stagnant and "behind the times." The point is, their music is representative of what they want to do, and if the fans expected them to offer more of the same old stuff, then it is the band who has grown and the fan who has remained stagnant.

Change and evolution is not only good, it is inevitable. If you are someone who writes original music, I'll bet your new material 6 years from now will sound different than what you write today.

The only people who know what Rush should or shouldn't do or sound like are Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

No offense, but wouldn't you hate others trying to dictate what you should or shouldn't do artistically? I would.

FWIW,

-Danny
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Well Danny, I think you just said it all. End of thread. Well put.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I feel I'm still a little misunderstood on this issue, but thank you all the same. See you at the show!

Cheers,

Mick

P.S. Neil would look pretty cool parked behind a set of V-drums ......
                  TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

P.S. Neil would look pretty cool parked behind a set of V-drums ......
                    LOL! Right you are, Mick! I'm kinda curious to see where his (assumed) continued study with Fred Gruber has taken him. I think the song "Freeze" sounds phenomenal...

I doubt any of us will be too disappointed in the live show.

-Danny
                    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

[B]
                      Dammit, I want fire, explosions, six-foot-tall effects racks, doublenecks, dancing girls, lasers, and ELECTRONIC DRUMS!
                      B]
                      Hell yeah! I'm checking out Rammstein june 30th! Hopefully will be getting all of the above!

Groet,
                      Cas

[This message has been edited by Caspar (edited April 22, 2002).]
                      DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

But when will they put out a disk that does not put me to sleep. (I like some of the 75-81 stuff)

Comment

Well I think that Rush has given all of us so much great music, so much inspiration, that if they wanted to release an album with nothing but all 3 sitting on the toilet, I'd say that's their right to do. Besides, would such an album really be that different than all the RAP and POP boy band music that dominates radio and mtv today? And granted I haven't listen to the new album all the way through, but it sounds fine to me so far. One Little Victory in particular was pretty rockin'! And I got my 20th row tickets for the Charlotte, NC show on July 1st, and while $85 isn't cheap, I can honestly say I would have paid 5 times that if I knew it might be the last time I could see them. As Neil learned in his personal life during the last 5 years, life is short, and precious. God Bless this kick ass band!!

[This message has been edited by I Beat It (edited April 22, 2002).]

Comment

The St. Louis show isn't until August 2nd. ARRGGHH!! This will be the tenth time I've seen Rush live, and I haven't been disappointed yet. For anyone that's going to any of the Rush shows; tell us what you think!! I'm sure it'll be cool. And, in all fairness, I haven't heard Vapor Trails in its entirety, the relevance of that being (in my opinion) the "single(s)" off of Rush albums are never the best songs on the CD. In fact, I think that the song "Test For Echo" is just about the only exception I can think of....

P.S. Hey, Putt--maybe Neil will sell his e-kit on ddrums.com! Hope you like red sparkle ......
                            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I have great seats for the June,29 show in Scranton, PA. I think that is one of their first shows (Im not Sure). I'll post A review.
                              TD10ex

Comment

Working...
                              X