Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Before Carter Beauford and after.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before Carter Beauford and after.

Wow! I always was very impressed with Carter's work w/Dave Matthews, especially "So Much to Say", "41" and "Say Goodbye". Several days ago I got his DVD, "Under the Table and Drumming" (Neil's is on DVD now, too! Got it!), and I was knocked out. He's a monster!

The biggest thing about that vid is Carter's open style, using his left for his hat, putting his ride on the same side as his hat. I, too, always lead with my left, but I still like to use my right mostly for ride/hat patterns. This caused huge problems for me for 16th note stuff on my hat...just couldn't get it going.

I'm a lefty playing righty, and that gave me an idea

I switched my hat over to the RIGHT side of my kit, with my ride hovering above it. Now, I play open, using my right for the hat and ride predominantly. 16th note bits on the hat and MUCH MUCH easier to do now, and I have much better flow around the kit! THANKS, CARTER!!!

Here's my kit, before Carter:

Typical, hi hat on the left, cymbals, tom1, tom 2, tom 3, cymbals, ride, tom 4, china (PD6).

This is the kit after I changed it around:

Cymbals (splash & crash), cymbals, tom1, tom2, PD6 on high is a crash panned right-ish, hat, ride, floor tom (4), china (PD6).

I know it looks really bizarre, but it's amazingly functional for my dysfunctional style

Thanks again for the inspiration, Carter. And Neil, too!

Dan

PS: I can't play a totally lefty-arranged kit...this seems to be the ideal setup!

------------------
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

[This message has been edited by Dan the Speakerman (edited June 04, 2002).]

Cool.

One of the great things about e-drums is that they allow many different set up possibilities. You no longer have to designate a lot of real estate for a "floor" tom or bass drum, hi-hats no longer have to hover over the left foot.

The only downside to setting your kit up in a non-traditional manner comes if/when you migrate to acoustics. If you ever plan to sit in at a jam session you might have problems getting comfortable on someone else's more conventionally positined kit. If you get really weird and position a floor tom say where a crash cymbal normally lives you probably won't be able to find hardware to accomodate that on any acoustic set.

On the other hand you might be redefining the way that we think of the drumset (you pioneer!).

For me personally, I use the e-drums as a practice kit when I can't play the A's so I intend to leave them in the traditional configuration most of the time.

If you are a fan of the open-handed approach you might also wanna check out Billy Cobham, Lenny White and Rayford Griffin. Also Bill Bruford uses an unconventional set-up these days with his (remote acoustic) hi hat mounted front and center and his toms off on either side. I thought that set up looked goofy until I saw him play it live--totally logical. He looked very comfortable and relaxed up there.
    Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

I too am a lefty and have been inspired by Carter's style. Although, I didn't redo my setup, my high hat is on my right, I started using my right hand for the 8th notes on the hat and that opened up a whole new freedom of playing. I have much more freedom than ever and I have to thank Carter for that.

Comment

Amen, F.D.!

Thanks for the comments, Kelly. A's are very likely not ever going to happen for me...just too impractical for my home.

As for sitting in for jams, I expect that will only ever be at 'drum' jams like we did, so it won't be a problem Won't be sitting in with a band anytime soon! Gotta get good first!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaDrummer:
          I started using my right hand for the 8th notes on the hat and that opened up a whole new freedom of playing.
          I'll second that. (Except I'm right-handed playing left-handed hat.) It definately helps with independence.
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

I saw them in concert in '96 and have been a fan of Carter since....he is insane. He does some wicked stuff live.

I want to pick up that DVD!!!

Erik

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited June 04, 2002).]

Comment

Not being a big DM fan but respecting the hell outta Carter, I was always a bit blown away by some of the patterns he achieved... Till I got his video, and saw that he was a lefty playing modified righty! Ahhhhh, all becomes clear now. In other words, much of the stuff on the video was useless to me, being righty & playing righty. Fun as hell to watch, tho!

-Danny
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Is Carter's band still paying for broken 78's?

Comment

I put a spare PD-7 on the right side of my kit and used a stereo "Y" cable to plug it into the HH jack. Now I have a hi-hat on both sides of the drum set.
                  I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
                    I put a spare PD-7 on the right side of my kit and used a stereo "Y" cable to plug it into the HH jack. Now I have a hi-hat on both sides of the drum set.
                    Great idea!

Comment

That IS a great idea!
                      So much for being a pioneer...

Clymore, how's that little Bassman 60 working for you? I assume by your gearlist that is what you're using to hear yourself besides phones? Seems a cheap and rugged solution.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dan the Speakerman (edited June 05, 2002).]

Comment

I live about 1 hr from where Dave Matthews lives. The band has did some demo work in a studio I record at, this was years ago that they tracked there ( Before the deal) and I was amazed by his playing then. I remember me and another drummer friend watching him track and we both said who is this cat .I later went on the road and the group I was with was on the same bill as the DMB and Phise ( I think that is spelled wrong but you get what I mean) this was right before they was sign ,the record exceutives where there that night smooozzzing them. I said all that to say this ,Carter was a very blessed player early on and just still keeps progressing forward plus he is a really good guy. But going on in front of him, record deal or not is a very scary thing. Imagine looking over at the monitor mix position and and there stands Carter Beafuord watching you , all you can do is look into the big old super tropper ( spot light) and hope you don't drop a stick.

Comment

Wow...great stories guys! You fellas are so fortunate to have lived those moments.

I haven't been on stage since I was a woodsman in my 4th grade play.

------------------

Comment

Jude
                            I feel your pain I can remember my drum teacher telling me never sit in with a group it is just a good chance to sound bad. But I would have love to seen your face when they called you up there to sing and you freind start cheering you on LOL. I remember on time I was in a group and we where playing a outdoor party on the beach at a hotel and Wilson Picket showed up. I had never heard of him till then and the band leader got him up on stage and said do Land of 1000 dances , well I was clueless and Wilson started counting thank god for older bass players who know the oldies he yell at man kick on the 1 and hold 4 times . Anyway dont feel bad we all make fools out of ourselves now and then but it gives us stories to tell our friends
                            Take Care
                            Zeke

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited June 06, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited June 06, 2002).]

Comment

C'mon C.Jude. Name names! Who was it? At least give us a clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X