Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Blown amp!! Please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown amp!! Please help!!

This morning we were trying out my TD-8 through our PA monitors to get a good mix for a gig we have on Monday. Whilst doing this I think we have blown 2 of the yamaha monitors.
    Then this afternoon I was practicing with our Peavey KA 300 amp when all of a sudden all of the top end cut out. The sound I was getting was like the sound you get on a really bad radio. Have I blown it?
    This all points to the TD-8. I must point out that neither the amp or the TD-8 were set at high volume levels.
    If I have blown the Peavey KA 300 (sounds like the tweeter has gone) is it expensive to replace? Or may I have just blown one of the fuses?
    Please excuse my ignorance as this is all pretty new to me and I have no idea how these things work at the moment.I have only had the TD-8 for a month.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Let's get some more data to work with. Are you working with direct out signals or using the master where you can control the output signal? If using the master out, what level signal are you sending?

Just how hard are you pushing these amps? I have a KB/A-300 (newer version). It has a gain on channels 2 & 3. I feed the TD master out signals to the Peavey's CH. 2 & 3. (using a TD-10 in my case). I set the TD master out volume at 12:00, activate the gain on the amp channels and I would blow my ears out using a 50% signal for the Peavey's channel and master volume. The Peavey has separate 4 band EQ's which I only use in moderation. The amp also has some kind of mechanism to prevent clipping too, so it would be interesting to get some more detail on what happened.

I use my amp as a monitor and haven't had a need to tap it's true potential, so I'm curious as to what's going on.

I assume you have run other instruments through your equipment to verify the amps are shot and it's not the TD-8's output signal at fault.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I had my td-8 plugged into the KB/A 300 by the L/mono output at the back of the TD-8.
      The volume on the td 8 was at about 12'o'clock, and on the amp it was at about 4 on the second input with the gain switch pressed in. All of a sudden the sound went really bad. It was like all of the top end stopped coming out almost like the tweeter had blown. Do these amps have fuses?
      The only other thing I forgot to mention is that the mixer settings (on the TD-8) were all on full.

Hope this is a bit clearer.
      Please help!!

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

The only thing I don't know is what the main level was set at - see pic. If you were at 10, there could be the potential for damage. My amp is in my basement and with those settings, my main level could would rarely get past 3. The entire heating-a/c duct system sounds like thunder at this point. Main level of 5 cause headache and after that I would probably be served with divorce papers and/or a visit by the police.

Even if I assume your mixer volumes and sliders were all the way up, which applies to some of my kits, this wouldn't be a big deal.

I believe there is a fuse in the back, but I'm not home to check.

The fact that two systems were fried is most likely a clue. My guess is both systems should easily handle this. The KB300 is LOUD - 150 watts with a 15" scorpion, a decent size horn and protection circuitry. Was high end EQ cranked way up? Perhaps something is causing your TD-8 signal to spike and clip. I learned long ago that a clipped signal at 10 watts could easily damage speakers rated to handle well above 10 watts. Conversely, decent speakers can handle clean signals above their max rating (let's not get too deep into ratings).

Unless you have some really maxed out settings, my suspicions are on the TD-8. You may need to take it to someone who can measure signals. Anyone else have some thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited June 05, 2002).]
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
          ...Main level of 5 cause headache and after that I would probably be served with divorce papers and/or a visit by the police.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited June 05, 2002).]
          Last time I had the police called, the officer said he would've jammed w/us if he wasn't on duty.
          td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

The settings on the amp were pretty much as what you have on the picture. Like you said, the fact that I have blown 2 monitors and a KB/A 300 in the space of a day, does seem to point to the TD-8.I have reset the factory settings would this solve it, or is it a problem with the actually hardware?

Please help!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

I'd say your current problem is taking a chance on blowing another piece of equipment. I would be somewhat hesitant to say the least.

Maybe another member could offer some possible reasons for this problem or suggest what or how to check the TD-8 to see if it's working properly.

Comment

You've blown the high end horn,just call your dealer and order a new one. They're really easy to replace. You just need to take the horn apart and replace the diaphram, it's inexpensive, $15-20. I think the KB/A 300 uses a Foster horn.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited June 07, 2002).]
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                X