Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Regretfully Bowing Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regretfully Bowing Out

I feel like I didn't give them a chance, and I feel like I didn't fully consider the consequences of blindly trying to be an E-drummer...

I hate to admit it, but I'm selling the V-Session after only three months. I bought them between bands, when I didn't expect I'd be gigging as soon as I am now. I can't afford cases and an amp, I am too nervous to bring them out live just yet, and I have to have a reliable quality sounding kit now.

I won't clog this e-mail with advertising, I think I'm looking more for support.

I just don't feel I made the right decision buying the set, and I don't feel I worked hard enough to get them tweaked to where I can confidently play them out. I'm very satisfied I had them for just the short time I did, however, as the limitless practice time was a luxury I've never felt. I'm just embarrassed that I let myself act with such caprice and blow money I don't have. I know I'm not going to make the money back. Damn.

Anyone have an opinion about Tama Starclassic sets, I found an attractive one. How about Premier? I'm so spoiled by DW. Advice would be cool. Thanks for everything, and if you are interested in some V-Sessions, e-mail [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Quatzu (edited May 15, 2002).]

Sometimes there are good deals on DW's on eBay.. I got a DW collectors - early '90's kit with the keller shells - 10, 12, 14, & 20" kick for $900. I cleaned them up and put them on a Gibraltar rack - I could not be happier.
    Keep checking ebay... sometimes there are ignorant deals...
    As far as selling the edrums - as an edrummer and a dealer I can still side with you as far as using them for gigs... I have gone back to acoustics but still trigger and use accessory pads... Some find that full edrum kits meet their needs for gigs, some do not.... it is a personal preference neither being right or wrong....

Possibly offer trades for your V's....some folks are looking to dump off their acoustics....

Good luck...

Erik
    SEPdrums

Comment

I've always felt more comfortable playing acoustics live with electronics thrown in, maybe triggering the kick and snare with the Drumkat to one side and little Dauz pads scattered about. It doen't have to be one or the other. I've always liked Tama, they're easy to mic and get good results with little or no EQ.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

DrumWorkshop manufacts good drums, but the brand is a hype and the drums are a bit overprized. Tama Starclassic is good as well, but cheap neither.

Premier makes very good drums and is much cheaper.
        Robert

Comment

I've got a set of Tama Granstar Customs that have worked well for me, but they are very "Tama" sounding. They are a bit heavey and hard to play at low levels. They are not thin shells like those that are so common now.

A friend of mine has been getting a really good sound from a set of Yamaha Stage Customs (like $700-800 for the 5-piece) for both live and recording (with the right mics and room).

I'm sorry to hear that you won't give the V's a chance. They are an acquired taste, but I've loved mine (especially for recording, but for live as well with a good set of phones and a feed from the board for monitoring) from the day I started playing with them, only more when adding the tdw-1 (which the session already contains). TWEAKING is the name of the game here. I certainly hope you aren't giving up on them based on the built-in presets.

Later,
          redbrick
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by redbrick:
            I've loved mine (especially for recording, but for live as well with a good set of phones and a feed from the board for monitoring) from the day I started playing with them, only more when adding the tdw-1 (which the session already contains). TWEAKING is the name of the game here. I certainly hope you aren't giving up on them based on the built-in presets.

[/B]
            That's the thing: I'm playing more live than in the studio right now, but eventually when recording, I would reconsider owning just the brain. As far as tweaking, I've tweaked and tweaked, but then I end up wanting to spend more time playing than tweaking, so I realized I'm more of a player than a tweaker.

Comment

Well. I have the best of both worlds, to paraphrase a Van Halen tune, I have my v-session and my acoustic kit.
              I can choose whatever one I want to gig with at anytime I feel like it.
              If I do an outdoor gig I may want my acoustics in case of rain.
              In a club I might choose the e-drums or acoustics.
              It's nice to have a choice, depending on the circumstance.

------------------
              Woody
              Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Rub it in, Woody.

Comment

Originally posted by Quatzu:
                  Rub it in, Woody.
                  If you want to rub your woody in the privacy of your own home, you just go ahead, but there is no woody rubbing allowed on this site thank you very much.

sheesh! the things I gotta put up with.

Comment

Ah... Well taken and elegant. Fine work, NetCop!
                    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I'm confused. How did you get the gig without a drumset? What kind of music is it? Has your new band heard the e's? My band absolutely loves them. You have a quality sounding reliable kit, it seems like all you need is amplification. Does the band have a good PA with subs? Just run through that? Maybe the bass player has an extra head and bottom you can route your kick through. Don't give up, there is a lot of bias against e's , but I think they really do sound great live and you can get a great mix in almost any venue and the sounds are infinite. If you play rock music, I'd suggest using the Realdeal kit and just tweak the cymbal sounds so they aren't so harsh and tuning the kick for whatever room you're in. If you have to, sell the extra PD120 to get a couple of hundred bucks (I'll by it for that much), but if you haven't even played them with the new band in practice, I'd suggest giving it a try and see what they think. They might front you the money for an amp or speakers or buy them as band property. My brother actually bought his drummer a drum set one time because he couldn't afford one. Don't give up! e's are awseome, not weak. The reason most people don't use them is that they can't afford them, or they are closed minded. When you get a few more dollars, buy a mid range accoustic kit and use that too, but you're going to take a beating on a used V-Session. This is an emergency people! Let's get creative!

Comment

Good luck with whatever you do Quatzu , just don't seperate the components or you will end up with something left over .

------------------
                        ~REDMAN~
                        ~REDMAN~

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Bagman.
                          Don't give up the V's.
                          I wish they had these over 30 years ago when I first started playing.
                          Plenty of acoustic sets floating around you can pick up for next to nothing.
                          I've only had mine for a little over a month and I can't imagine being without them.

------------------
                          Woody
                          Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Doug:
                            I sold my set on Ebay http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=85 9611301&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1019589719&indexURL=0&rd=1 and I loved them now I have a Yamaha stage custom set with the better results IMO TD-8 with Kontrol screens ddrum triggers acoustic cymbals miced along with TD-8 outboard EQ-FX BBE if you don't like to tweak e-drums maybe they are not for you your chops wont be what they were if you play e-drums only. Dynamics are so different between the two If you play both this shouldn't be a problem. Reason for selling my kit was based on e-cymbals had most triggering problems worked out BELL CY 15 CY-6 volume problems exc, They just dont stand a chance with real world attack as on a-cymbals, We all know this I found myself laying back on type of attack with the e-cymbals based on not knowing what the end result was going to be (splash or crash volume buzz rolls swells or no sound) for my liking, ability as a drummer and I don't need to be thinking about that when IM trying to drive the band. That's my. 2$ Anyway TD-8/ Kontrol Screens Ddrum triggers the Stage Customs I had setting in the corner in basement total cost to convert over $1100
                            with better results IMO. You do the math Keep what you need and good luck e-drums are here to stay Thanks Doug

Comment

You just have to give us here a pic of your kit, Feef!! *drool* All those pads...
                              "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Working...
                              X