Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Very Talented Drummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Talented Drummer

I know this may not be appropriate, but whatever. I saw Journey last Friday night and Deen Castronovo is their drummer. I want to tell you that I have not heard a more solid, unbelievably FAST and FURIOUS drummer since seeing Neil Peart. This guy made me tired just watching him!
    If Journey ever comes close enough to see, I highly recomend going to the show. You won't be disapointed.
    Deen uses a double set of DW drums and some Roland electronics. I couldn't see well enough to tell what all the Roland equipment was but I could see one or two PD-9's and I think maybe a SPD-6 Percussion Pad.
    It takes a lot to impress me (not that I am that good) as a drummer and Deen just blew me away. If you can't make it to a Journey concert, they have a DVD out called Journey 2001 which displays Deen's talent very well. Cheaper than a concert too but you can't beat seeing it live. If you get the DVD or go to the concert, check out the instrumental song called "LA RAZA DEL SOL". Deen cooks on that song!

PS. Sorry for the wordy post!

------------------
    V-Session & JBL EON15G2
    Start Young, Play Hard, Rock On!!!

I saw Journey last Friday night and Deen Castronovo is their drummer. I want to tell you that I have not heard a more solid, unbelievably FAST and FURIOUS drummer since seeing Neil Peart. This guy made me tired just watching him!
    [/B]
    I agree -Dean is awesome and not very well known. The video is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by fredinator:
      I know this may not be appropriate,

Why not? Anything drum-related is welcome here I think. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Why not? Anything drum-related is welcome here I think.

You just never know what will trigger someones deeper side. Talking about a no name drummer that primarily plays acounstics.........you just never know. Thanks for the note of approval Binary!!!

Deen really is a great drummer.

------------------
        V-Session & JBL EON15G2

[This message has been edited by fredinator (edited May 15, 2002).]

Comment

Didn't he play with the Dam Yankees with Ted Negent and Tommy Shaw, Jack Blades.

Comment

Originally posted by zekedrum:
            Didn't he play with the Dam Yankees with Ted Negent and Tommy Shaw, Jack Blades.
            You are correct! After doing a search, here is what I found. http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...astronovo.html

This is a cool site!

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm new to this forum and just want start off by replying to this and saying Deen is one of the most incredible drummers I have ever had to opportunity to meet in my life. I was lucky enough to first see Deen when he was about 15 years old playing local gigs. He is truely a prodigy drummer, and from the time I first met him, he's had a huge influence on my drumming my entire life. He played in a metal band out of Portland Oregon at the time called Wild Dogs, and if you think his drumming in Journey is great, fast and furious, etc..., you should have seen him back then. I'll never forget a drum performance I saw from him when he was about 17... it almost seemed humanly impossible that someone could play so good at any age let alone 17. Deen went on to play with many greats, Tony McAlpine, Steve Vai, Ozzy, Bad English, Hardline, etc.... He is still a great influence to me and one of the best drummers in the world imo.

Comment

ABDRUMS, wow, this IS a really old post. It was neat reading it over again though. Funny too, I just saw Journey and Def Leppard about a month ago here in my home city. Again, Deen just blew me away. And now the guy is singing lead on two of the most popular Journey tunes while he lays into that kit. He's an awesome lead singer too. If I had the talent he has in his big toe, I would be happy.

I can't imagine seeing someone play like that at 15 or 17 years old. That must have been unreal to watch. Hey, thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to the forum. I've been MIA for sometime and am catching up now. I've been spending more time on a two wheeled speed machine than playing drums. I need to balance that out a little better.

Later!

Comment

If you like Rush and Deen, I first heard Deen on the Working Man (Rush Tribute album). He plays YYZ and Anthem (maybe others too, can't remember).

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Man-Va.../dp/B000003ZBB

Steve
                  Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                  Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                  Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                  DW Hardware

Comment

I saw Journey in San Antonio a few months back. They still do great without Perry and Smith... but Steve Smith was just a better drummer. He is also amazing on his own. Did they have that new young guy singing, along with the drummer?

Comment

Originally posted by fredinator
                      You are correct! After doing a search, here is what I found. http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...astronovo.html

This is a cool site!
                      Actually it was Michael Cartellone who played with Damn Yankees.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cartellone

He now plays with LYNYRD SKYNYRD.

Dean is great though, but Steve Smith is the Master!

Comment

Also, as stated on the wiki page, Michael played in Tommy Shaw's band. I saw him live way back then (Stone Pony, NJ), and he was a monster. I haven't seen him since then, but back then, he played really well, but boy did he whack the snot out of those drums (and I always thought I hit hard).

(Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread)

Comment

Working...
                        X