Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Knee Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Pain?

I injured my back Thanksgiving weekend and haven't been able to play for long periods until recently. Now that I'm playing again, I am experiencing knee pain at the lower end of my knee just under the knee cap (Distal end of the patella for you medical people ). I'm wondering if it's a lack of strength in my knee from lack of playing or, somehow my injured back created a bad technique. I don't think my technique changed, and if it did, it can't be that much. I don't remember when I first started playing drums many moons ago if knee pain was something like fingertip pain is to gutair players. Will it go away on it's own or is it more serious.

Originally posted by FloridaDrummer:
    I don't remember when I first started playing drums many moons ago ... Will it go away on it's own or is it more serious.
    I think "don't remember" and "many moons ago" may have something to do with your problem. It's all down hill from here old dude.

"Will it go away on it's own". Let me get this straight. You are asking a bunch of drummers to give you a medical opinion (the absolute most respected of all musicians, held in such high regard that they are virtually never the butt of any musician joke and are also known for their great medical insight). I might add that this medical opinion, if wrong, could make your knee worse and possible cause serious and/or permanent damage.

Of course you're asking us! You can't help it. Your a drummer too!

Hey, I'm a drummer so here's some advise. Drink 12 beers, get a room full of drummers to change a light bulb, sleep with all the other band members wives and don't worry about it cause you'll be ok in the morning.

Or you can ask a doctor, but what do they know!

Seriously FD. Sometimes these things heal on their own and other times they get worse, especially when you don't give them a rest. I suffer from periodic inflammation of the sciatic nerve. My back goes out anywhere from 4 days to 4 months at a time. This back problem is known for causing pain in the legs. It usually goes all the way down the back of the legs. There is a relationship between back and leg pain. Yours could be something else since it's in the front, but who knows?

The best advice you can get is see a doctor.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I pulled my hamstring yesterday doing 16th note double bass exercises for 15 minutes straight. I was in the groove, but now I hurt. Oh well. I feel your pain!!!
      td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

"Damnit Jim...I'm a drummer, not a doctor"
        Boom Theory Spacemuffins
        TD6
        HDI Cymbals

Comment

rofl...........i use that bones classic alot..heh
          -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Here is my thoughts:

I actually got this kind of pain a couple
            of times.

I should mention that I work as a paperboy
            and have done this for the past 18 years now so my knees would not be in mint condition.

Still as long as I keep doing this I never have any pain or problems with them.

But when ever I got a break from work then
            my knees becomes very sensitive and I easily
            get the kind of pain you are talking about.

I also get this pain if I switch to another
            bike!
            By that I think it is safe to say that you
            probably got some exact habits with your
            knees where you perhaps sit alot and use
            them in a limited way.

If you do then this pain would come VERY
            easy.

Check this:

Put two fingers on the muscle under your
            knee and lift the leg with your thigh
            and youŽll know what movement that is
            working this muscle.

The more your foot is infront of your knee
            the more the muscle works.

If you got back problems then maybe you
            sit more straight and perhaps a little bit
            more away from the kit right now.

This could be enough to cause it!

// Daniel

[This message has been edited by ddummer (edited April 21, 2002).]
            Check my VSTi project! http://hem.bredband.net/b125831

Comment

Thank you EVERYONE for the great medical advice.

Boingo, classic. You and I need to get together for a few beers, I think the two of us could get into a lot of trouble together.

dammit Toekneedrum, I'm a paramedic, not a doctor. I don't know if anyone else has this problem where they live but the doctors down here vary from bad to criminal. Even if I went to one whos office isn't out of a van (I'm not kidding) then they would probably only want to cut me open. A friend of mine went in for lower stomach pain, was diagnosed with a hernia, had surgury and the pain didn't go away, it wasn't a hernia but the doctor still claims that it was, even after the medical records showed that he never repaired anything during the surgury.

When I injured my back, they wanted to operate and remove the swollen disk. Being a paramedic who worked in an ER, I let the thing heal for a while and now no surgury is needed. So I actually trust you guys more than most of the doctors down here. They don't call it "practicing" medicine for nothing.

Comment

I injured my back Thanksgiving weekend and haven't been able to play for long periods until recently. Now that I'm playing again, I am experiencing knee pain at the lower end of my knee just under the knee cap (Distal end of the patella for you medical people ). I'm wondering if it's a lack of strength in my knee from lack of playing or, somehow my injured back created a bad technique. I don't think my technique changed, and if it did, it can't be that much. I don't remember when I first started playing drums many moons ago if knee pain was something like fingertip pain is to gutair players. Will it go away on it's own or is it more serious.
                hi floridadrummer. do you by any chance play heel up? if so, do you raise your heel by using your calf muscles you push up your heel or do you use your thigh muscles to physically lift your leg and drop onto your pedal? you can tell by squeezing your thigh with your hand while playing a shuffle on your foot.

i ask because the second method is a technique that many drummers use that requires the use back muscles to keep balanced on the throne and can also cause soreness below your knees. this may be a result of a technique issue that you never noticed before hurting your back. you may now by further tensing your thighs to keep balanced and get out your strokes thereby causing increased knee pain.

just a thought. i had this problem before learning toe-ball technique and found that my knees would often become sore after playing kick heavy techniques. i am a relatively young blood (25) and in very good shape/health but still had problems.

hth, digits.

Comment

Your condition sounds like Patella Tendonitis. Do you run or play any sport by chance? Might you have flat feet? Both can cause and prolong the condition. I'd look into getting some arch support in your shoes, ice the area after it flames up, and like a few others have suggested, drink a beer and listen to Neil Peart play.

Comment

Originally posted by I Beat It:
                    Your condition sounds like Patella Tendonitis. Do you run or play any sport by chance? Might you have flat feet? Both can cause and prolong the condition. I'd look into getting some arch support in your shoes, ice the area after it flames up, and like a few others have suggested, drink a beer and listen to Neil Peart play.

Yes, I do run about 5 miles 3 - 4 times a week, I'm just getting back into that too. Yes I have flat feet and yes I drink beer and listen to Neil play. I'll have to look into patella tendonitis.

Digitsone, I do play heel up and use my thigh muscles. My back still hurts after a session but I fight through it. Next time I play, I'm going to see if that could be causing my knee pain.

Thanks alot for your advice guys!!

Comment

Yes, I do run about 5 miles 3 - 4 times a week, I'm just getting back into that too. Yes I have flat feet and yes I drink beer and listen to Neil play. I'll have to look into patella tendonitis.
                      Believe me, that's the cause of your pain, not playing your bass drum. I had to go to a pediatrist, and he made these inserts custom made for my feet that have made a WORLD of difference. It got to the point where I couldn't run without major pain, and yes, it hurt when i played drums too. Now I'm running 4-5 times a week, playing drums just as often, with almost no pain. Just so you know, the over the counter inserts won't do the trick. I tried those first. Good luck!

Comment

all good ideas. if that doesn't work out, look hard at your technique. relax those thighs when you play, and use your calf muscles to push up your heel and tense your foot to get a double strokes (leave your foot relaxed for singles). of course, this is all for playing staccato (leaving beater on head) ... playing legato is another story.

you'll be amazed how well this works - have you ever seen steve gadd play 16s on his single pedal? same technique.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have Patella Tendonitis. I have to rest it for 6 weeks, how can I rest it for that long, I'm going to go nuts.

Comment

Working...
                          X