Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Global EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global EQ

Does anyone know if there is a way to globally EQ your set? I haven't taken the time to look in the manual yet, but I just thought I'd get some feedback first. What I'm finding is that I seem to EQ all of my drum sounds for a particular set to maximum volume, then I use the manual controlers on the side to adjust volume. I'm not sure I really understand the need for an EQ AND manual controllers on the side. Am I missing something here? It seems to be duplicative work for me. So why not just EQ everything to MAX and then use the side controllers? Any thoughts?

Yeah..I know I mixed it up. I was sleepy this morning when I wrote. Sliders are what Im referring to. I should have thought about it more before posting, but when you press your MIXER button, you can set the volume of each pad. My question in it's simplest form is, why have two volume controls. I want to globally, internally set everything to max, then you the sliders for adjusting. Any reasons why thats not a good idea?

Comment

Personally I think the sliders only serve to complicate things, and therefore I keep them all maxed and use the internal mixer only. (The internal mixer offers full control, while the sliders are more for quick adjustments.)
      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by Brufordwannabe:
        ... but when you press your MIXER button, you can set the volume of each pad. My question in it's simplest form is, why have two volume controls. I want to globally, internally set everything to max, then you the sliders for adjusting. Any reasons why thats not a good idea?
        Guess what? There's a Global volume control. (I won't count the Master Out.) Go to Control Room, Mixer, GRPVOL to find it.

It might be possible to get some clipping by setting each pad to 127. You need to check before going this route. It would depend alot on other settings I suppose.

I would imagine you can do that and work the faders if you want, but don't forget that the faders control more than one pad at a time. You may find that both Crash 1 & 2, AUX 1 & 2, Toms, etc., need separate volume tweaks. I'm sure this wouldn't work for me.

My preferred method is to start with a GRPVOL of 105. Set the sliders to 75%. Tweak the pads to a good balance for the selected sounds. Then go back to GRPVOL and boost it to get the overall level close to other kits. (you don't want your volume all over the place everytime you change kits) Then I use the sliders to tweak as required. There are parts in some songs where you need more bite or to back off on that kick or snare for example. Tweaking the slider during play becomes convenient for those times.

Don't forget that when you adjust EQ, compression, effects, they can have the effect of increasing/decreasing the volume. Make changes there and you may need to tweak the pads again.

My way but not necessarily the only way.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Excellent! Thank you very much. I will tryt this tonight

Comment

Hey Boingo, are you referring to another kit. I have the v-custom model. I don't see a "control room" anywhere

Comment

Just as a note, I think that there are different volume controls due to the fact that some samples on the same pad for the same instrument family can vary greatly in volume, and can emphasize different frequencies. If you are setting up ahead of time, you can micro-tweek the relative volumes on each individual kit, and make adjustments on the fly by using the sliders, without having to press a bunch of buttons.

More fine-tunability is a good thing for me, but others prefer less complicated, more plug-n-play type stuff. Life is good!

-Danny
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Brufordwannabe:
                Hey Boingo, are you referring to another kit. I have the v-custom model. I don't see a "control room" anywhere
                My apologies. I must have assumed you had a TD-10. (Updating your profile to include your equipment avoids that confusion.)
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X