Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Drum solo competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum solo competition

I ran across some spam in my local Craigslist, but I thought that it looked like fun so I'd share.

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/compet...2007/index.php

There aren't that many tracks up there now and I know I've heard better drum tracks from people on this board... so show them what an e-drum set can do.

I would, but I suck.

Good Lord... MOST of those should have 1-2 stars. I think everyone here should upload a solo.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I like the look of the 1st prize

Comment

Wake me up when it's over...
        Still miss you baby, but my aim's gettin' better...

Comment

I listened to most of them and they just plain suck. I could do better and I'm just learning how to play. I could just chug a warm 2 liter bottle of Coke and fart some passages that sound a lot better. I wonder if anyone will try submitting an old Buddy Rich or older clip, one than might not be well known or can be recognized and just to try to pass it off as their own? But I don't think they would have to submit something that good to win anyway based on those awful sounds that are there now.

Comment

I think I'll go take that grand.
            Alan

Comment

I can't believe you guys are rippin on their solos like that.....

Gmbydmit
              DW Acoustics,TD-20, SPD-S, DrumKat 3.8, DK10,etc,etc...

Comment

In the top 50, number two...Chip Ritter is actually a flashy player. He does clinics where his forte is doing Stick Tricks.... he's pretty good
                MAPEX Black Forest Cherry DIY with TD20 module combined with TD3... (with room to expand!)
                1 Hart Ride, 4 Pintech 14" Crash Cymbals, Pintech China, 10" Pintech Splash, Roland Hi Hats, JBL Eon G2 Powered Speaker, Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal, V-Expression's kits and not enough TIME in the day to play!!! :eek:

Comment

The one with the video actually looks like it has been sped up from what was recorded. Something doesn't seem right there.
                  I'm trying my best...I'm not a machine

TD-20, 1 x PD-80R, 2 x PD-100, 2 x PD-120, PD-125, KD120, 4 x CY-14C, 1 x CY-15R, 1 x CY-5, VH-11, DW-4002, ATH-M50 (Headphones), JBL EON G2 15 JBL JRX 18" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
                    I think I'll go take that grand.
                    Go for it Alan...good sound is as important as good chops and you've got both
                    chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                      Go for it Alan...good sound is as important as good chops and you've got both
                      LOL... I just might. I couldn't find the dates for the comp though.
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by gmbydmit View Post
                        I can't believe you guys are rippin on their solos like that.....

Sorry everyone but I got to agree here. These solos may lack structure making most of them repetative and a little boring but some of these guys have some nice chops. The solos aint the best but I heard some really nice things at different points from different players.

You know there is a lot of talk on this forum but not a lot of show and out of the stuff that has been put on, there has been a lot worse than these solos. Is it because its not a Vdrums site that you are rippin on these guys?

Ive got respect for anyone who picks up an instrument and plays but even more so if they have the guts to show it to the world. Its just a shame the lack of respect and support they recieve from other players a times.

This is JUST a drum forum, Ive yet to see any experts on here and out of the all the members there are, Ive only seen a few decent players. We are not an authority on drumming by any means and have no right to act almighty when we hear other drummers. You know, this site is rippin on these guys on this thread and on another, we are fed up with repeated threads and a lack of tolerance for newbies who dont UTFSE, NOT very supportive is it???

Sorry to pick on you 3cup but you are just learning, dont have a kit but can play better than all these people, some how I doubt it but please prove me wrong if you can . Your response just seems a little 'OFF' to me, I can only hope you get more support from people over time as you progress.

If you want to rip on these guys, fine but back it up with something better.
                        Last edited by Mr Stixx; 08-29-07, 10:45 PM.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
                        *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

What gmbydmit and Mr. Stixx said

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

I just thought there should be a better voting system. One that breaks up votes into categories and averages the vote; something like a number rating for several criteria. (such as structure, originality, technique, etc) This would be more fair to the overall voting system and would be (a little) more fair and accurate in it's results.
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Stixx View Post
                              Sorry everyone but I got to agree here. These solos may lack structure making most of them repetative and a little boring but some of these guys have some nice chops. The solos aint the best but I heard some really nice things at different points from different players.

Sorry to pick on you 3cup but you are just learning, dont have a kit but can play better than all these people, some how I doubt it but please prove me wrong if you can . Your response just seems a little 'OFF' to me, I can only hope you get more support from people over time as you progress..
                              I do go along with the part about hearing some nice things at different points but the part about structure is what I should have made clearer as to what I meant.

I really point out that I didn’t say I listened to all of them. I commented on just the ones I did hear and said it that way. I went down the list and chose just a bit over half to listen to. What I said was just my opinion of the ones I did hear. I’m newer to drums but have been doing music most of my life.

What I did hear in parts of the ones I heard were herky jerky efforts like just trying to hit whatever came to mind and as fast as someone could and slight pauses like pondering what to do next. Erratic. No real design and not very natural. The ones I heard sounded impulsive instead of some type of structure there. Parts of them had good accents and started to build something up. But then the ones I heard just sorta fell apart in my opinion.In those parts of the solos they just put me to mind of someone pounding mindlessly on the keys of a piano or flailing both hands on the strings of a guitar.

I understand drumming unaccompanied but as part of a song can sound a bit odd, but it’s ‘cause the other instruments that the drums are playing with aren’t there so a person listening to the drums can’t quite tell where the song is and where it’s going. But these are drum solos. In a solo my opinion and experience is people may expect the drums to become the song, to set the mood and have maybe smooth and pleasing transitions to the variety of the rhythm and volume and tone.

A couple of the ones I listened to had stretches that sounded ok but they just didn’t transition smooth or in a way that seemed right to another rhythm or movement on the set. It just seemed like what I heard was them trying to impress with an obsession of speed and not style and that the whole solo didn‘t connect together well as 1 piece. I’d be impressed with speed if it also had some style and some steady but slower rhythms and beats and movement too but I just didn’t hear that combination in the ones I chose to listen to. I'm looking at these solos as total packages not as a sum of parts.

And maybe I should have let out the humor ‘cause I was being critical. I was trying to inject levity to balance being so dang critical and I know I didn’t read it back over ‘cause I had to make a phone call at 10 and was rushing to post that. I should have toned down the humor part and made it clearer that I didn’t listen to all of them and that if I was competing in a solo contest I’d go more for a combination of good beat and style and rhythm that all works together instead of trying to rely on machine gun speed mostly. That’s what I meant about that I could do better. Maybe my chops aren’t better but I’m sure I could present something more smooth and rhythmic and that all works together as one cohesive piece than the solos I heard.

I’ve listened to more of them now and there are a few that had some variety and the things I said more than just speed. Probably the person that wins will be sorta obvious and will stand out from the others just ‘cause the solo will be a good stand alone piece of drum set music upon itself instead of just a erratic barrage of mixed drumming sounds relying more on speed around the set than the substance of the solo.

I think the final thing to say is that it's a whole different thing to just hear these on a soundtrack instead of by video too where you can have the added enhance of seeing the player really doing his thing. I think the visual thing can make a big difference when it comes to an overall impression but this group except for the first one that's in video too only allow the sound to be heard and nothing else. So that's what I'm forming an opinion about and I only did it and commented based on the ones I selected to hear and of the whole solos and not just parts of them. Maybe someone was doing something else that's flashy and impressive like twirling sticks (like Chip Ritter and I didn't hear him at first) or the like during those parts that just didn't sound smooth or flowing in the solo and I can see where that might explain something soundwise and make the package part of the solo complete in that sense. If it was all audio and visual too I could see judging on both qualities and it would probably make a difference in ratings and the impressions they give.
                              Last edited by 3Cup Candy; 08-31-07, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X