Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

harts pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harts pads

Hello, could you answer a few questions please.....

Originally posted by joe drummer
    I've only played the Roland snare in a drum shop, but disregarding hotspot issues I liked the 'feel' of Hart's snare more ... except for their cone design, which results in a very acoustically loud center. Hart uses a tower shape for their cone which means a lot of it comes into contact with the mesh head, which means a dull thwapping sound when you hit it. Roland had less of that. But it is a smaller snare
    Are the harts pads louder than the roland pads? (i wont be able to have the volume very loud due to hyperacusis so will notice 'tapping'.)

I noticed some hotspot issues with the roland, is this a problem with the harts?

I watched a harts demo video and noticed the wobbly bass drum pad when double bass drumming was inflicted on it, have you experienced this?

How much do acupads/pros cost?

Cheers,

Will
    Last edited by Big_Will; 08-24-07, 01:43 PM.

Hi, i cant comment on the hart volume but i know the 8' hart bass drum wobbles when played with a double bass, it could probly be fixed down somehow though, i doubt the wobbling would be an issue with their big 13' bass drum, hope this helps, dave

Comment

I have played with all 3 (Hart, Roland, Pintech). And while the Drumbalaya "noise" ratings have Hart pads the loudest (Pintech being the quietest), I've never discerned any significant difference between them in terms of loudness.

Now, hotspot. I can say that when I was using an Acupad as a snare, the hot spot issue was significantly reduced than with my Pintech or a borrowed Roland. Significantly reduced.

That being said, you can eliminate your hotspot by UTFSE and look for a series of posts by myself and gingerbaker (and others in the same thread). It'll give you tons of info on how to dial away your hotspot.

Acupad/Pro cost? Head over to Drumbalaya's web site and see if they have any left, then ask for a quote. If they don't have any left, go to the RMC Audio site and do the same thing. Currently, the standard 10" dual zone Accupad is running $200. The 8" is $50 less.

And check ebay if you're in no hurry to put together a kit.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by davidmeabc View Post
        Hi, i cant comment on the hart volume but i know the 8' hart bass drum wobbles when played with a double bass, it could probly be fixed down somehow though, i doubt the wobbling would be an issue with their big 13' bass drum, hope this helps, dave
        You are correct sir! I have the 13" pro bass pad and it doesn't wobble at all.
        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
          I have played with all 3 (Hart, Roland, Pintech). And while the Drumbalaya "noise" ratings have Hart pads the loudest (Pintech being the quietest), I've never discerned any significant difference between them in terms of loudness.

Now, hotspot. I can say that when I was using an Acupad as a snare, the hot spot issue was significantly reduced than with my Pintech or a borrowed Roland. Significantly reduced.

That being said, you can eliminate your hotspot by UTFSE and look for a series of posts by myself and gingerbaker (and others in the same thread). It'll give you tons of info on how to dial away your hotspot.

Acupad/Pro cost? Head over to Drumbalaya's web site and see if they have any left, then ask for a quote. If they don't have any left, go to the RMC Audio site and do the same thing. Currently, the standard 10" dual zone Accupad is running $200. The 8" is $50 less.

And check ebay if you're in no hurry to put together a kit.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
          Thanks for the pointer for eliminating hotspot, ill check that out. The hotspot on the roland got on my nerves, perhaps bad trigger settings.

Ive heard that the acupad has a cylindrical trigger design which means there is more trigger contact with the head. Im thinking this would mean a larger hospot area....is the volume change less pronounced on the area in contact with the trigger then?

I also take it that you didnt notice an "acousticaly loud centre" then? If it isnt, then ill get some harts pads i think.
          Last edited by Big_Will; 08-26-07, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I had a bigger hotspot issue on my Roland than on my Hart. And there was a HUGE hotspot on the TD-20 I tested in a store. I think on my Hart I have a little bit of hotspot, but it's not that much of a difference compared to my old PD-120, or to the TD-20 with PD-125 I tested in a store.

Knowing that the hotspot on the PD-125 was much bigger than the hotspot I had on my PD-120, I'm sure it has got something to do with trigger settings etc.

Stijn
            'lectric drumma
            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
              You are correct sir! I have the 13" pro bass pad and it doesn't wobble at all.
              http://www.hartdynamics.tv/video/QT_..._6-4_TD12.html

The 13" looks wobbly during the double bass part near the end of this stream video though, perhaps its set up worse than yours. I could go for the hart toms/ snare and roland bass pad...if its feasible to do so.
              Last edited by Big_Will; 08-26-07, 10:47 AM.

Comment

The roland i tried in store was on the bouncy side. Meant nice and easy doubles which i like, but could be detrimental to my playing on an acoustic since i will be playing soley on it for the next year or two untill my ears hopefully improve. I loosened the tension of the heads which was better. Would a loosened roland be close to what a hart feels like or is it not a comparison at all?

These are tough questions, i wish they had harts in stores.

Also, anyone know a community with lots of harts players?
                Last edited by Big_Will; 08-26-07, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                  I had a bigger hotspot issue on my Roland than on my Hart. And there was a HUGE hotspot on the TD-20 I tested in a store. I think on my Hart I have a little bit of hotspot, but it's not that much of a difference compared to my old PD-120, or to the TD-20 with PD-125 I tested in a store.

Knowing that the hotspot on the PD-125 was much bigger than the hotspot I had on my PD-120, I'm sure it has got something to do with trigger settings etc.

Stijn

Thanks. Would you say there is a noise difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Will View Post
                    Also, anyone know a community with lots of harts players?
                    How about vdrums.com? You could try www.edrumming.com. Long time since I've been there. Lot of old vdrums.com-members over there too.

Hard to say about the noise, I'm playing my Harts for quite some years now. I believe that the Rolands have a higher pitched sound to them, and that you could perhaps hear the Harts a bit harder when you strike the tower. But I don't think it's that much of a difference. Roland cymbals are quieter though - except if you use PD-7's or PD-9's as cymbals.

Stijn
                    'lectric drumma
                    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Keep in mind too that the Harts to me feel much more rock solid, and they are heavier.

Stijn
                      'lectric drumma

Comment

Dont know much about Harts but they have a beaten metal shell dont they. This has got to resonate to some extent surely.

Comment

Acupad bass triggers?

Just my two cents on Hart gear....the very first Hart kit I was ever able to get behind was a used, older generation Studiomaster 6.4 a guy was selling on Craigslist - and I bought it on the spot! And I can honestly say that, when I have the opportunity to upgrade once again, I'll likely stick with Hart gear. I've been very, very pleased.

Now, not to hijack the thread, but I want to ask the other Hart players ... the kit I have has two separate kick triggers, and they are 10-inch Acupads that slide onto a heavy metal brace. Does anyone else have these? These don't seem to resemble anything I've seen on anyone else's kit in the Showcase section. Are these kind of rare or is it just something that was done with older Hart kits? For the record, they work just great.
                          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Thanks for the responces so far.

Comment

Hi Folks, some opinions for you...

Are the harts pads louder than the roland pads? (i wont be able to have the volume very loud due to hyperacusis so will notice 'tapping'.)
                              They are in the same volume range. The impact noise produced by the Hart pads is different, because of the construction differences (particularly the mesh head), and is definitely lower pitched and less 'pingy' than the Rolands. If the acoustic volume of a Hart pad was an issue for someone, then it's likely that the volume of a Roland pad would also be an issue.

I noticed some hotspot issues with the roland, is this a problem with the harts?... Ive heard that the acupad has a cylindrical trigger design which means there is more trigger contact with the head. Im thinking this would mean a larger hospot area....is the volume change less pronounced on the area in contact with the trigger then?...
                              Yes - at stock trigger settings, the Hart contact area is larger, and anything in direct stick/pressure contact with the sensor will have increased level with any pad (all mesh pads are like this). As you've assumed, though, the hotspot is averaged over the extra surface area, and hence is a lot less pronounced. Careful use of the trigger settings means it's possible to set the pad up so there is no hotspot, but a natural radial increase in volume and presence across the head and through the center.

Originally posted by (bass drum stuff)
                              I watched a harts demo video and noticed the wobbly bass drum pad when double bass drumming was inflicted on it, have you experienced this?... i know the 8' hart bass drum wobbles when played with a double bass, it could probly be fixed down somehow though, i doubt the wobbling would be an issue with their big 13' bass drum... The 13" looks wobbly during the double bass part near the end of this stream video though, perhaps its set up worse than yours. I could go for the hart toms/ snare and roland bass pad...
                              If you're after rock-solidity, then I've yet to play a compact bass drum pad which offers it. Roland, Hart, Pintech, Yamaha, 8" mesh, or padded rubber... they'll all wobble if you're going to start laying into them with a double bass pedal, and nothing short of a breeze-block (cinder-block) is going to help that. Shoudn't affect the triggering, though, but it is all related to budget. If someone can make a pro-quality triggering 8" mesh bass drum pad which is both compact and totaly solid, then please get in touch!

Short of triggering an actual bass drum, the most solid pads I've played are the Roland KD120 and the Hart Pro 13" - they're the only ones that I've played that even come close to the mass and weight of a real bass drum, which is what you need if you want real-bass-drum resistance. I can't comment on the 13" setup in the video, but I've never had solidity issues with any of the Hart Pro (or Roland KD120) pads I've used.

Originally posted by John.b View Post
                              Dont know much about Harts but they have a beaten metal shell dont they. This has got to resonate to some extent surely.
                              Nope!

Simon
                              Last edited by flurbs; 08-27-07, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X