Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Who "famous" is using VDrums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who "famous" is using VDrums?

Which famous artists are using VDrums to record or live?

Not many drummers use Vdrums live.

Some of them (Omar Hakim) played with them at their home studio for a while or just add 1 single Roland pad to their set up (Cindy Blackman) but most professional drummers:
    1. just play acoustic drums
    2. play acoustic drums and trigger them with a professional sampler or ddrum module

Is this a reason for not buying a Roland module? No, certainly not. You can't compare the situations in which pro drummers play with your own situation.
    Robert

Comment

Actually, Mr Omar Hakim, used them on his tour with Madonna as his PRIMARY kit. And his new album consists of around 70-80% of the tracks are solely V-Drums (Red V-Session kit with an extra PD-7 or PD-9)

The extraordinary Geoff Dugmore uses them as his main studio kit, and also performed live with them on the "1 Giant Leap" concert.
      (White V-Session)

Both drummers believed that more and more studio and live performers would turn to the V-Drums as their primary instruments, relying on Acoustics when necessary for individual reasons.

Omar believes that in 10 years time, pro drummers will exist that have NEVER used, owned or gig with acoustic kits.

I myself will be one.

Need I say more?

Maverick

Comment

putt: Man, do you work for CLAVIA or what? Everytime you post it is to praise the ddrum. No offense though. You are telling me, ddrum module is profesional and roland td's modules are not? I have serious doubts about that, even though I like ddrum's as well.

Comment

I noticed on Saturday Night Live last week that the drummer for Kylie Monogue (yeah I know) had a set of V-Drums. He used them for electronic sounds, but he had a complete set and was even using the old blue rack.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick:
            Omar believes that in 10 years time, pro drummers will exist that have NEVER used, owned or gig with acoustic kits.

Very possible. There's already a generation of recording engineers who have never mic'd an acoustic kit!

Personally, I really like the concept of electronics, and I generally love the sounds in their purest form. But as cool as the V-Drums are, they simply don't "play" like a real kit, and I can hear that particularly when they're recorded. They're wonderful for a lot of things, but it's not possible (yet) to get a lot of expression out of them. But with the advances in zone-sensing and layered/crossfaded samples, it's just a matter of time.

On the other hand, they still do things no acoustic kit ever could, so I'm certainly not dissing them!

Wow... how funny, I actually used the word DISSING for the first time, and it occurred to me that the 'real' word - disrespecting - would have sounded even stranger!

How boss, I'm finally hep!

Bermuda

[This message has been edited by bermuda (edited March 21, 2002).]

Comment

One of the coolest things I have ever seen live was Pat Mastelotto playing a V-Drum/Acoustic hybrid kit with King Crimson last year.

------------------
              VROOM VROOM
              [this space for sale]

Comment

I've noticed very little mention of the Vdrums on most these "Pro" drummer's sites (Omar excluded). I guess Roland is not a company for endorsements?

I keep an eye open for them in videos and such and rarely see them. How about anyone else? Do you see these kits on stage often?

Thought I saw a pair of Roland pads in a Korn video once (there is an electronic ratchet sound in one of their songs) and in a Pantera (yes Pantera) video.

Just my 2 cents (and its Canadian, LOL!).
                http://cyberjam.cjb.net/

Kelly Mercer
                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                Canada

My Youtube Channel!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
                http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

Check out family values '98 tour dvd. Orgy's drummer uses them w/acoustic cymbals.
                  td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberjam:
                    I've noticed very little mention of the Vdrums on most these "Pro" drummer's sites (Omar excluded). I guess Roland is not a company for endorsements?

Unless you're Stevie Wonder or that calibre, no, they're not handing out gear or offering discounts. But then, some product lines don't need to rely on endorsements to help marketing, and pros and consumers alike must pay for what they get. I wouldn't have minded a break on the V-Drums, but that wasn't a deciding factor in my buying them.

Kurzweil is sort of the same way, and I bought my sampler 9 years ago directly from them, at a somewhat better deal than local stores were charging. Dunnett Classic Drums also doesn't do endorsements, but that didn't stop me from buying 4 of Ronn's terrific snares.

Bermuda

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberjam:
                      Thought I saw a pair of Roland pads in a Korn video once (there is an electronic ratchet sound in one of their songs)
                      I've seen a Tama advertisment in which you can see PD-7's and PD-9's and ddrum triggers on David's kit.
                      (even a custom built/modified trigger inside his gong bassdrum)

------------------
                      My Personal homepage
                      MPCman's E-drum Picsite!
                      Music was my first love...

Comment

I believe Cristoph Schneider of Rammstein uses some Roland pads, but I have no idea what brain he runs them through. I know he triggers his kit with DDrum triggers though

Comment

Originally posted by bermuda:
                          I wouldn't have minded a break on the V-Drums, but that wasn't a deciding factor in my buying them.
                          What's up with that? Doesn't Roland realize that you're THE Bermuda--the one man out there that actually needs sounds like "Boing", "Burt", and "Kungfoo"? Is there no justice in the world?

Now if Roland introduced an accordion I'd bet they'd be all over you-know-who for an endorsement .......

TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Yeah, they know me, and they even had us perform at one of their NAMM-related presentations a few years ago, supplying us with whatever gear we wanted! They also made sure we returned all of it right after the gig.

Also, I seldom rely on existing sounds, and generally have to create my own. My personal library is WAY wackier than anything Roland has put in their TD series! But I will be using the TDW-1 to record some normal sounds - castanets, clave & gong - simply because it's easier than miking live instruments, and in context, nobody could tell the difference. I mean, when a track is mastered to CD, everything becomes samples anyway.

Bermuda

[This message has been edited by bermuda (edited March 22, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by kornalius:
                              putt: Man, do you work for CLAVIA or what?

No

Everytime you post it is to praise the ddrum.

Please, find me the 1800+ posts that I write where I praised the ddrum.

You are telling me, ddrum module is profesional and roland td's modules are not?

(again) No. I only said somthing about professional drummers. And even wondered: is this a reason not to buy a Vdrum?
                              Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X