Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Bruford / UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruford / UK

Will someone listen to the UK cd with Bill Bruford on it and tell me if you hear ANY mistakes?? I can't find as much as a rushed beat! Is this guy incredible or what!

I've never heard that one. But c'mon man, the guy is ALWAYS PERFECT.

------------------
    VROOM VROOM
    [this space for sale]

Comment

You've NEVER heard that one?? Del, you're missing out on a part of life. You need to go get it tonight.

Comment

I already mentioned Bill in my top 5 favorite drummers. Also like his roto tom sound. And don't forget to listen to UK's live album with Terry Bozzio as well
        Perfect progrock ... (we're getting old)
        Robert

Comment

I was just over at cdnow.com listening to it. Totally cool! It sounded like a mellow version of Crimson's Red. But then again, they only give you 30 seconds or so on every song, and two songs were not working. I'll check the stores in my area after work. Thanks Brufordwannabe.

------------------
          VROOM VROOM
          [this space for sale]

Comment

In my talks with Bill B. years back he called his drumming on the first two yes disks "bad swing". I am a big fan of those disks just the same.

Comment

One of my favorite Bruford recordings is from the King Crimson Collectors Club, Berkeley, CA 1982 concert. The band plays an insane rendition of "Elephant Talk", then Bruford launches into an all-out assault on the Simmons drums as a prelude to "Indiscipline". The rather one-dimensional sound of the early-80's Simmons drums is completely overpowered by Bruford's exciting playing.

Other goodies from the Collectors' Club: the 1997 Nashville Rehearsals, probably the last recording BB will do with Crimson, has many interesting snippets of musical ideas in the making, and lots of fine drumming, of course. Then, there are plenty of live recordings from the '73-'74 band available. (I assume, Brufordwannabe, that you're also a KC fan and have heard some of these recordings?)

I liked Bruford's 1970's solo albums, although they are quite "busy", as prog rock sometimes is. But in my opinion, his playing just gets more and more refined.

Comment

I don't know about Brufordwannabe, but King Crimson is my favorite band of all time!

------------------
                VROOM VROOM
                [this space for sale]

Comment

Your assumption is correct. King Crimson is my favorite rock band of all time. My favorite early Crimson cd is Starless and Bible Black. My favorite later Crimson cd is Beat. Man I love the drums in Waiting Man and Neurotica. Something I just discovered about 4 months ago was a live recording in his band Earthworks, maybe recorded 1997 or so. I can't think of the album title right now but he does a solo on there in the style of a late 60's jazz drummer and integrates his electronics at the end of the solo. It's very exciting and I highly recommend it. I'll get back to you on the cd name when it comes to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brufordwannabe:
                    Something I just discovered about 4 months ago was a live recording in his band Earthworks, maybe recorded 1997 or so... I'll get back to you on the cd name when it comes to me.
                    I suspect that you refer to "Stamping Grounds." BTW, I would guess that the title is a play on words. The neighborhood where you live is called your "Stomping Grounds" if you are travelling and communicate via snail mail then it could be said that this is your "stamping grounds." That is my favorite of the Django Bates/Iann Ballamy era Earthworks.

Of the two releases (so far) by the latest incarnation of Earthworks I prefer "The Sound of Surprise" but both are pretty good.

Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Thank you..Stamping Grounds is the one. I love this cd, but some tracks were recorded way to low. Thanks for getting the name..

Comment

I just ordered the U.K. CD. Also, I wanted to know which Earthworks CD is better to start with, "A Part, And Yet Apart" or, "The Sound of Surprise"?. Or maybe just pick up this "Footloose in NYC" DVD I've been reading about on DGM? Anybody have any ideas?

------------------
                        [This space for Sale]
                        [this space for sale]

Comment

I wish I could help you there Del. I don't have any of those three yet.

Enjoy your UK cd. I predict after 3 listens to, you'll be hooked. Warning! Singing on that cd is incredible BAD, but if you just listen to the musicianship, you'll be in awe.

Comment

HEY BRUFORD FANS!

Just found this streaming video which is about 5-10 minutes long. It has a personal interview with Bill, clips of him performing, a walk through of albums with his comments. It's excellent. It's also funny to see Bill Bruford fishing. You can tell its akward for him. Here's how I found it. Go to hotbot.com, search "Bruford". Click on the "Where are they now" site. Find Bill Bruford section. Near the very end there is something underlined called Jim Baugh Outdoors #3. Click on the #3 and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by del davis:
                              I just ordered the U.K. CD. Also, I wanted to know which Earthworks CD is better to start with, "A Part, And Yet Apart" or, "The Sound of Surprise"?. Or maybe just pick up this "Footloose in NYC" DVD I've been reading about on DGM? Anybody have any ideas?

My vote is for "The Sound of Surprise." The CD also includes a video--live performance of "never the same way once." Pop it into your computer and you can watch Earthworks in action. Highly recommended!

I notice you are from Seattle. Did you see Earthworks at Jazz Alley when they there about 6 months ago? They did practically every tune from "The Sound of Surprise."

Both "A Part.." and "TSOS" are from the jazzier, acoustic version of Earthworks. If you want to hear e-drums contributing melodic and harmonic content get "Stamping Grounds."

Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Working...
                              X