Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you position your Hi-Hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you position your Hi-Hat?

Just wondering how you people position your hi-hat to get the best hits? I seem to be getting some miss hits lately, just wonder if my CY-12 is starting to go or if I'm doing something wrong. I keep mine straight and I wonder if putting it to a slight angle will give me a cleaner hit. Any thoughts?

Why not try it and see?

Comment

I use the PD-9 but I tilt it slightly. There are pro's and con's about E's and A's. One of the pro's about E's is that you can position your hats at any angle you want with no effect on sound. I also (on a few kits) use two completely different hats for pad and rim. It's important I get the exact angle that's comfortable and allows for accuracy so I don't strike the rim unless it's intentional. Take advantage of what's available.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I have my HH mounted in the center of the rack between the Toms at a slight angle.

You may want to check the various settings for the rim vs. the bow of the HH. I had somehow screwed up the rim of my HH and was getting some weird triggering effects until I went through the Instrument selections and the Control Room settings for the rim and bow very carefully to get the sounds and volumes in synch (not NSYNC mind you). I set them up so I'd get the same sound and volume whether I hit the rim or bow of the HH, because I can't pay enough attention to effectively work both with separate sounds in gigs. I know its lame, but that's how I'm dealing with it for now.

Comment

Just a thought here. I came up with this idea on my A's and carried it over to my V's. I'm a right handed player and have everything set up the way a right hander would, except for my HH (PD-7). It is to the right of my snare rather than on the left. When I was still playing A, I got tired of the cross over. I had a full rack with a cable HH so I tried it and loved it. I figured my ride is on the right, why can't my HH be. I did the same on the V's and it works out great. It feels more comfortable and natural after you get used to it. The funny thing is, I still cross over when I play air-drums. I guess that's just bred in. Just like that air-crash that's right over your head on all of our air-sets...know what I mean. I hope this all helps in some way.
          [email protected]

Comment

The bottom line is that with e-drums, there is no reason why the hihat needs to be beside the snare. (Obviously it needs to be this way on a-drums if you want to control it with your left foot).

I know what you mean though. I still use the "orthadox" hithat position, but I'm tinkering with the height rather than the position or the angle. Don't forget it goes up and down too.

[This message has been edited by JamieR (edited April 01, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by CAH2112:
              Just a thought here. I came up with this idea on my A's and carried it over to my V's. I'm a right handed player and have everything set up the way a right hander would, except for my HH (PD-7). It is to the right of my snare rather than on the left. When I was still playing A, I got tired of the cross over. I had a full rack with a cable HH so I tried it and loved it. I figured my ride is on the right, why can't my HH be. I did the same on the V's and it works out great. It feels more comfortable and natural after you get used to it. The funny thing is, I still cross over when I play air-drums. I guess that's just bred in. Just like that air-crash that's right over your head on all of our air-sets...know what I mean. I hope this all helps in some way.

how would you play 16th's on the HH and 2&4 on the snare? you would have to lead left handed or use paradiddles or cross-under.

Comment

Two-handed hi-hat is the only reason I can think of to keep the hi-hat near the snare. Leading with the weak hand, IMO, can only improve the drummer.
                Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

jamie, one reason to keep the HH on the "standard" left side: so you can switch over to acoustics seamlessly without changing playing form. I even keep my smaller 8" Custom pads spaced apart to mimic the center of my acoustic heads for the same reason. I could bunch them together more tightly and be a bit faster around the kit, but then I would be all emssed up on acoustics. And I do like to play both! $^)

Comment

Just this weekend I moved the hi-hat (PD-6)to the right, just beneath my ride-crasch (CY-6). I must say that it works very nice
                    And I feel a challenge for those 16th notes!
                    Groet,
                    Cas
                    DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Why not do both with a splitter cable? I have a CY-6 for a hi-hat in the traditional position and a PD-7 near my ride on the right side of the kit for those special occasions when I don't want to play cross handed. Works great and I heard the idea here some months ago!
                      I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
                        Why not do both with a splitter cable? I have a CY-6 for a hi-hat in the traditional position and a PD-7 near my ride on the right side of the kit for those special occasions when I don't want to play cross handed. Works great and I heard the idea here some months ago!
                        I want to do that! As soon as my homemadepads are ready I can switch around my PD6's.........
                        And yes MPCMAN....I took my pictures yesterday.....So soon there will be more Pics on your site

Groet,
                        Cas
                        DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Working...
                        X