Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delay when switching kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay when switching kits?

Has anyone using a td10exp noticed how there is like a half a second delay when changing kits with a footswitch and playing continuosly. I expected this thing to change instantaneously from kit to kit, much like clicking on a overdrive pedal for a guitar. What is the point of the footswitch? If I have to stop playing to switch kits, I may as well just click the "INC" button on my module. Is my module misbehaving or is this normal?

------------------
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

There is most certainly a delay, more like a full second, and it's still there with the TDW-1 upgrade.

Normally, a drummer woulnd't need to make such hairpin turns during a song, although I would require that if I took the kit on the road. That's just one of the reasons I won't use them on tour, however I do love them for other, less demanding applications.

Comment

Interesting, because the material I play requires those "hairpin turns" on a regular basis. In fact, we have one song in particular that has no less than four kit changes in it. The changes are made from an outboard sequencer (an Alesis DataDisk playing back sequences composed on Sonar and then transferred to floppy) sending program change commands to all four of my modules (TD-8, TD-6, Alesis D-4, Yamaha TMX), often simultaneously. I've never experienced any significant latency. Perhaps the fact that I use a MIDI patch bay has something to do with that? I dunno, man, all I can say is that it works for me. Score one for the TD-8?
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

And Roland has admitted that since the TD-6 and 8 came after the TD-10, there were a few improvements, notably the number of user kits available, and possibly faster switching. But do those units have the same processing as the TD-10? If it's less-sophisticated, that could account for the faster switching, and also explains why even with an upgrade, the TD-10 is still relatively sluggish.

Feef, do your changes occur between the count of 4, and the next downbeat? That's what I would have to do - not even a quarter note space - and my TDW-1 won't cut it. I would need about 15 changes during a long medley, and they're mostly instantaneous and none have the required 1-second for the change.

Bermuda

Comment

Voice Preserve is a nice feature found on most modern synths these days, I still think Roland should have R&D'd it {TD10} a bit more before comming out with it.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I agree completely jrcel. They definitely need to do a little more R&D.

------------------

Comment

I have the TD-8 and it switches instantly. If you listen close sometimes you can hear a little click, but hardly noticable.

I do this all the time. In fact, if I bang a timp., then switch kits, the sustain of the timp. from the previous kit will continue over whatever I play on the new kit.

Comment

Originally posted by mfrzrdrum:
                I have the TD-8 and it switches instantly. If you listen close sometimes you can hear a little click, but hardly noticable.

I do this all the time. In fact, if I bang a timp., then switch kits, the sustain of the timp. from the previous kit will continue over whatever I play on the new kit.
                Thank you. Glad to see I'm not alone in my good fortune. I do think Bermuda made a good point about the TD-10's extra features contributing to slow load times, which is very akin to what we're seeing from effects processors from the major manufacturers (Lexicon, tc electronic, Eventide).....
                TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Hi all,

Okay I'll start by saying I know almost nothing about MIDI...

BUT

I have been at a Drum clinic where Geoff Dugmore used an apple laptop to play mp3's to which he jammed with...and the mp3's were trigger in sequence with a Cakewalk type application that ALSO CHANGED HIS DRUM KIT at certain points.

He NEVER stopped playing when the kits changed from one to the other, it was totally seemless, and I've even tried getting on contact with him to find out just 'how' he did it, but this is all the info I've got so far.

BTW He was using the new V-Session in white. It's NOT a TD-10 problem, IF you are using an external midi application to do the switching...I think the prob only comes when switching directly on the brain.

Maybe the footpedal can control a midi app and switch from there..although that means that all V-Drummers that gig are going to need a laptop.

D'oh...more expense. I guess we should be thankfull that Roland don't make laptops too!

LOL

Maverick

Comment

Working...
                  X