Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDW-1 cymbal features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-1 cymbal features

Hi,
    I sold my A-drums about 10 years ago and I still miss them. I regularly play drums in my head - and in the shower too (don't ask!).

Time to get a set of E-drums!!! I played a V-custom kit last weekend and I've been reading this board for a few days so I'm starting to get an idea of what I want - something based around either a new TD-8 or a second hand TD-10.

I'm confused by the cymbal positional sensing feature on the TDW-1. How does this differ from using all three (edge/bow/bell) sensors in a standard TD-10 (or TD-8) using two inputs?

Also, I've noticed a few comments that the TD-10 is (in some respects) a downgrade. Can anyone explain what the advatages of the TD-8 are?

Thanks,

Jamie

Cymbal positional sensing is only on the Ride input on the TD-10 and TD-8. This means that as you play closer to the edge of the pad you get a washer sound as if you where playing away from the bell on a real cymbal. The 3 way triggering is only available with the NEW TDW-1 upgrade(V-Cymbals) You can probably fake it with the TD-8 but it is not the true 3 way triggering. The TD-8 came out after the TD-10 so when it first came out it had better cymbal sounds and features that the TD-10 did not have. Now with the TDW-1 upgrade there is no contest as far as I am concerned that the TD-10exp is way better.

------------------
    Ted H.
    www.tocsinrocks.com
    Ted H.

Comment

Thanks Ted.

OK, I'm a newbie here, so be kind...

As a drummer, I like to use my cymbals. Too much listening one Mr S. Copeland I think. I particularly use a lot of bell ride sounds - that constant clang from a Paiste RUDE 22" ride many years ago is still ringing in my right ear!

I was originally thinking of buying a new V-Custom kit, but I want that clang and lots of variation in the bell sound I can get. Ahem, if you've heard The Police you'll know what I mean...

If it give's me a better sound and expression, I'll get a second hand TDW-1, a Gibraltar rack, and initially a more modest pad setup (but with CY-12H and CY-15R) that can be expanded later, when I have some more money.

How does 3-way triggering on a TD-8 using two inputs differ from V-Cymbals on the TDW?

Are the sounds available on the TDW-1 much better than the TD-8?

Thanks,

Jamie

Comment

I think every one of us here asked this same question: TD-8 vs TD-10. It seemed to me that it comes down to what you wantto do with the whole thing. If you are like a friend of mine who just wants to play at home just for your self, the TD-8 is by far the way to go. If you want to try to play out and get gigs, the xpanded TD-10 might be a better choice. The sound quality in both are great. The 10 just gives the user a few more options as far as signal-to-board goes. I think all of us would like to have a v-concert or session with a TD-8 MIDI'd to the TD-10. I think that's the dream set. Imean come on, if you've already got $5000 wrapped up in a set, what's an extra $750? I wish and no I don't have a TD-8. You'll find lots of TD-8 players that are happy with them. I saw a guy a few months ago useing a TD-8 live and it sounded great. But, then again, I played at a place in November that this guy had played at and the sound guy was putting his unit down because he only had the 4 outputs. He flipped when I said I had 8. Then again, other sound guys like a stero feed only and are happy that way. But, now I'm talking sound guy theology and we'll just save that for another day. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse. [email protected]
        [email protected]

Comment

Well, I went for the TD-8! I got the TD-8KV set instead of the TD-8K that I was looking at originally. I was concerned about the ride sound and expressiveness, but the V-Cymbals made all the difference, especially after tweaking a few sensitivity settings.

Comment

Working...
          X