Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding on to V-Custom set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding on to V-Custom set

Hi all, Im new to the board and have just purchased my first set of V-customs! I should be getting them early next week but my question is I will eventually want to buy a larger snare (currently PD-80R 8") I was thinking a 12" and moving the 8" to a tom position on the side arm of the MDS-8 rack. well my question is will this rack acommodate a fourth tom to be mounted to it on the side arm? I see the pro sets are larger and come with four toms so I just thought someone with simular experience can help here....

I think the evolution of my V-Custom kit followed the most natural path: upgrade to 12" snare, move the PD80R to the #4 tom position, split the #1 input to kick and #4 tom, add a 3rd PD-7...and I added a Yamaha bar pad to utilize input 11/12.

Comment

Splitting the kick 1/2 to a 4th tom works fine. I highly recommend the Yamaha BP-80 dual-stick pad: mine is mounted above the hihat. You can put 3 PD-80's on the front bar and one on the right if stability is an issue. Also, I recommend getting a Yamaha PCY-80S (is that the right number?) pad for an extra cymbal. Makes a great ride, quieter & cheeaper than a PD-7, responds great, bell is on the rin, bow plays more like a real ride. Another option is the Gibraltar 350GC rack. It is solid, has lots of room, great clamps, and comes with 2 cymbal boom mounts on the uprights. I cut part of the long (46"!) front bar off and with just one right-angle clamp made a second 14" sidearm on the left for my snare, like the V-Custom rack.

Comment

I think I will progress like Harlock has. I like the look of the larger cy-14's I will prabably still utilize my PD-7's as cymbals and DEFINATLY will get a PD-120. question.....would the short bracket on the MDS-8 (V-Custom rack) hold the PD-120? I dont mind getting a snare stand but would like to eliminate as much hardware as posible. Anyone try this or it it to large and bulky?

Comment

You can mount it on the rack, but putting on a snare stand means: a) more room for other pads, and b) far better positioning ability, as well as getting the proper feel if a full size snare between your legs.

Ben

Comment

yeah...that would be great to see, Although I'm a Left handed drummer and wouldnt need to mount it on yhe left side.

Comment

Harlock, question on your set-up: Seems like several of your cymbals are mono. Can you report in more detail? Thx!

Comment

Ah... I didn't understand the 2 triggers 'chained' to input 11. Are they both the same tom sound? If not, can you get 2 distinct sounds using the HG/Shack approach? If *that's* the case, can you describe how well it works?

Also, do the 2 triggers on input 7 have the same instrument? (a L & R hihat?) I have a PD-7 on the right like yours, sometimes it's a right-side HH for open-handed playing, sometimes it's a gong or china cym. I like that placement too.

I was wondering how you got so many pads squeezed onto a TD-8. Mine's pretty much maxed out, except for chaining/shacking, but I have enough triggers to keep me busy! Thx....

Comment

Working...
                X