Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cannot get my positional sensing to respond correctly on PD-80R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot get my positional sensing to respond correctly on PD-80R

I am having problems on achiving the "three" senses the PD-80R is said to be able to get. the "cross stick","rimshot" and "rimshot/snare" I can get the snare sound when hitting the mesh head, and the cross stick when I hit the rim but when I hit the two simultaneously I usually get the cross stick sound. I am not getting a third rim/snare sound. Can someone explain this better to me? am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm using the TD-8 module
    Thanks.

Ljedik

Have you tried it with kit 8 Pop Xstk or 32 JazzXstk? Not all snares will give you 3 sounds...

[This message has been edited by Pleiadian (edited March 17, 2002).]

Comment

You can get three sounds from any V snare on the TD8, I believe.

There is a setting (forgotton the name - it's in the manual) that allows you to specify how hard you have to hit the rim before it triggers the rim shot (as opposed to the cross-stick). I find that if I hit the outside edge of the rim (or put the stick right accross the rim in the traditional fashion) I get a cross-stick sound; and if I smack the rim harder, or hit the rim and head together, I get a rimshot.

Part of the problem maybe that you need to assign a cross-stick sound to the cross-hit... many snares just have a rim-shot sound, by default. But you can change this...

If you get stuck, I'll look at the settings and let you know what I'm referring to. It is in the manual!

And... try the PopXStk kit, as suggested. That should work.

Comment

You can only get the 3 sounds on a handful of the snares on the TD-8. The snare have an X in the name that have the cross stick sound available. It is the rim and cross stick settings you will want to play with.

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

I think I see it...I noticed the ones with the "X" in the name are not any snare sound I like.. I do like the "MID2 RS" I like my snare as snappy as I can get it. I was hoping to get a good snare and rim shot sound then be able to use the cross sticking feature. looks like I'm going to have to set my pd-7 to help me out.
          Thanks all.

Comment

Ahhhhh, you're right - sorry.

I knew I had it sorted on the kits I wanted - but that was with my manual to hand.

...it is in the manual!

Mike.

Comment

Remember it is just the Rim shot sound and rim trigger that has the cross stick. The snare sound for the head can be the snare you want and then pick the best rim shot cross stick sound you like. This is where I feel the TD-10 exp has a major edge over the TD-8 I can add cross stick to almost any snare.

------------------
              Ted H.
              www.tocsinrocks.com
              Ted H.

Comment

"Remember it is just the Rim shot sound and rim trigger that has the cross stick. The snare sound for the head can be the snare you want and then pick the best rim shot cross stick sound you like. "

What do you mean? I know you can choose what sound you want to use as a cross-stick (which will play when the rim only is triggered below a certain velocity). But what do you mean by "it is just the Rim shot sound and rim trigger that has the cross stick"?

You have three ways to trigger the PD80r - normal hit, rim shot and cross-stick.

Can we be clear that a 'cross-stick' is like a hollow sound that you get on an acoustic drum when you place the tip of the stick at the edge of the drum and hit the rim with the butt (generally), and a 'rim-shot' is a powerful snare sound that you get by hitting the skin of the snare at the same time as the shoulder of the stick strikes the rim.

On the PD80r you get a cross stick by hitting just the rim, and a rim shot by hitting the rim and the head, or by hitting the rim hard.

Mike.

Comment

...just been re-reading your post. Do you mean:

To get a cross-stick, you must choose a rim-shot sound that supports cross-sticks (denoted by an X). This is independant of the snare sound you choose.

?

This is what I find a bit annoying, as my cross stick sound does not necessarily match my snare.

I think we're all talking about the same thing...

Mike.

Comment

Yes that is what I mean. The cross Stick sound that uses switching is assignable as a rim shot name with the X in it. There are only a handfull available on the TD-8. An option is to have 2 identical kits one with the Rim shot sound you like with no cross stick sound and a kit with the cross stick sound you like assigned to the rim trigger. Or you may be happy with a rimshot sound that has the cross stick option available(velocity switching) I hope this helps a little. I use a TD-8 at church and that has been the most frustrating thing for me.

------------------
                    Ted H.
                    www.tocsinrocks.com
                    Ted H.

Comment

I figured out a kind of reverse thinking method for this situation with the TD-8. I set the regular snare to have that powerful rim shot sound and my rim is one that has the cross stick and snare only sound. I just do the reverse for accenting the snare hits. It seems to work fine. I prefer the rim shot snare most of the time anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X