Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Is there a correct foot style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a correct foot style?

A friend of mine who is a really good drummer saw me playing on my vclubs last nite and noticed I don't play the kick drum "correctly". I don't move my leg at all, i really just use my ankle to play..

Kind of like sitting in a chair and just tapping your foot is how I play the kick.. I can get pretty fast kicks out of it, 1/8th, 16ths

is the wrong?

it's called playing "heel down" and is perfectly normal technique. i use a mixture of both in my own playing - heel down for really light stuff and heel up for faster/loud grooves. i do personally find it harder to play quickly with heel down because i can't use the weight of my leg and the spring of the pedal to help in gaining speed.

Comment

is the wrong?
      No, it's not "wrong". You're simply playing heel-down style. You're friend likely plays heel-up. The argument between these two techniques is as old as traditional vs. matched grip. Some people will argue that heel-up gives you more speed and power, but there are and have been many famous drummers out there playing heel-down that prove that false.

Bottom line is that you should use the technique that works best for you.

Mike
      ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

thanks guys..

I was starting to think I would have to change my style to play "correctly" and after trying last nite I had trouble keeping time. Although I do go into "heel up" mode when I'm play really hard punk/metal naturally, i just didn't want to do this all the time.

I'm definately "heel down"

Comment

The height of your throne (and distance from the pedals) can make a big difference in whether it feels "natural" to play one technique over the other. I would suggest learning both techniques.
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
            The height of your throne (and distance from the pedals) can make a big difference in whether it feels "natural" to play one technique over the other. I would suggest learning both techniques.
            A most accurate response. Obviously, the higher the throne, the more likely one is to use the heels-up scenario. As for one being better than the other? Nah! A drummer develops his own style and both techniques have most xlnt drummers to reference from. Do what 'feels' good for you.

Comment

Since when was there only one style of drumming? I don't remember having to pass an exam before I played for the first time. There are an awful lot of fanastic drummers who would fail a technique test. What it boils down to is whether you can play well with your style and it doesn't cause injury doing it. If anybody tells you that you are not playing right, tell them they should get out more.

Comment

Working...
              X