Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Studio Set discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio Set discontinued?

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm in the market (I think) for e-drums, and I noticed the other day in a major music retailer a Studio Set for $1400.00 (new). This made me wonder if Roland was discontinuing the set? I was planning on the V-Club, but for that price it seems the Studio Set is the way to go.

By the way (and this is why I "think" I'm in the market), I'm actually a guitarist. I have a home studio, and I've been programming drum machines for years (Alesis HR16 and Zoom RT-123) and I'm sick of it. I can play the drums, so I thought I'd get an electronic kit vs. and acoustic Kit and a bunch of mics (not to mention "keeping considerate playing hours"). I figure an electronic kit will allow me to go direct into the board, and play at 2:00am as well. But my concern is the quality of acoustic samples...I've been happy with the sounds from my Alesis machine (and the Zoom too), and I want to make sure the Roland sounds are at least as good (especially the cymbals). I have nothing to worry about, right? Any samples of Rolands V-Drums I can listen to (preferably solo)? TIA,

-Mark

EDIT: Forget the samples question, I found 'em!

[This message has been edited by m_s_w (edited January 30, 2002).]

Originally posted by c. jude:
    If there is anything that you just love in your HR-16 or Zoom, you could always trigger those sounds too (via midi)
    That's a good point, didn't think of that. I always thought the Alesis had better samples, in spite of it's age, but I was never impressed with the crashes (on either unit). The Zoom's hats are very realistic sounding though. How do the Roland cymbals compare to the HR/SR-16 in your opinion?

Comment

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help...this is an impressive forum, and it was instrumental (groan) in helping my to choose my kit. I decided to go for the Studio Set...the price was too good to pass up. I gotta go play now.

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_s_w:
        I'm in the market (I think) for e-drums, and I noticed the other day in a major music retailer a Studio Set for $1400.00 (new). ]
        Mark,

What major music store is offering Sudio sets at this price? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Artie

Comment

From what I was told, yes, the Studio kit has been discontinued. It took me a month to get my kit. From what I heard, I got the last kit available in California. (hehe yeah right). And even then the kit was not complete. It was missing the KD7 trigger, a tension screw and the allen wrench. I should be getting those parts in a few days.
          Other gear:Roland: A90ex, DR-770, XV-5080 w/SRX1-4, MC80ex, VS-2480, Mackie: 1642, M1400i, 2ea C-300

Comment

Originally posted by artie:
            Mark,

What major music store is offering Sudio sets at this price? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Artie

I got mine at the Sam Ash in Clearwater, FL for $1399. I'm not sure how many more they have (mine was new, sealed boxes and all), but it's advertised in their latest flyer for that price, so I assume they must have at least a few here and there.

EDIT: Oddly enough, the Samash.com website has them for $1499, but I'm sure they'd match the price in the retail store flyer if you went that route.

[This message has been edited by m_s_w (edited February 03, 2002).]

Comment

Feb 18...still no drum trigger sensor. Roland is losing a customer after this purchase.
              Other gear:Roland: A90ex, DR-770, XV-5080 w/SRX1-4, MC80ex, VS-2480, Mackie: 1642, M1400i, 2ea C-300

Comment

M_S_W sounds just like me. I'm a bass player and my friend and I built a mini studio in a spare bedroom. We played/recorded with a drum machine for a long time and got sick of programming a lifeless machine, so I got the vclubs and its been great. We tried playing with drummers and just got frustrated with who we ended up with...

Comment

Yup! Only difference is I moved away from my band, and haven't met any drummers yet. I'm moving back in a year or two, so I figured until then I'd just play drums myself!

The V-drums have gone way beyond my expectations...they blow away my drum machines in terms of sound quality. Better yet, I'm no longer wasting 1/2 of my time programming drum tracks!

Comment

Yeah.. Us stringed players don't need no stinking drummers!

Thanks roland!

Comment

Working...
                    X