Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studio Set discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio Set discontinued?

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm in the market (I think) for e-drums, and I noticed the other day in a major music retailer a Studio Set for $1400.00 (new). This made me wonder if Roland was discontinuing the set? I was planning on the V-Club, but for that price it seems the Studio Set is the way to go.

By the way (and this is why I "think" I'm in the market), I'm actually a guitarist. I have a home studio, and I've been programming drum machines for years (Alesis HR16 and Zoom RT-123) and I'm sick of it. I can play the drums, so I thought I'd get an electronic kit vs. and acoustic Kit and a bunch of mics (not to mention "keeping considerate playing hours"). I figure an electronic kit will allow me to go direct into the board, and play at 2:00am as well. But my concern is the quality of acoustic samples...I've been happy with the sounds from my Alesis machine (and the Zoom too), and I want to make sure the Roland sounds are at least as good (especially the cymbals). I have nothing to worry about, right? Any samples of Rolands V-Drums I can listen to (preferably solo)? TIA,

-Mark

EDIT: Forget the samples question, I found 'em!

[This message has been edited by m_s_w (edited January 30, 2002).]

Originally posted by c. jude:
    If there is anything that you just love in your HR-16 or Zoom, you could always trigger those sounds too (via midi)
    That's a good point, didn't think of that. I always thought the Alesis had better samples, in spite of it's age, but I was never impressed with the crashes (on either unit). The Zoom's hats are very realistic sounding though. How do the Roland cymbals compare to the HR/SR-16 in your opinion?

Comment

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help...this is an impressive forum, and it was instrumental (groan) in helping my to choose my kit. I decided to go for the Studio Set...the price was too good to pass up. I gotta go play now.

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_s_w:
        I'm in the market (I think) for e-drums, and I noticed the other day in a major music retailer a Studio Set for $1400.00 (new). ]
        Mark,

What major music store is offering Sudio sets at this price? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Artie

Comment

From what I was told, yes, the Studio kit has been discontinued. It took me a month to get my kit. From what I heard, I got the last kit available in California. (hehe yeah right). And even then the kit was not complete. It was missing the KD7 trigger, a tension screw and the allen wrench. I should be getting those parts in a few days.
          Other gear:Roland: A90ex, DR-770, XV-5080 w/SRX1-4, MC80ex, VS-2480, Mackie: 1642, M1400i, 2ea C-300

Comment

Originally posted by artie:
            Mark,

What major music store is offering Sudio sets at this price? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Artie

I got mine at the Sam Ash in Clearwater, FL for $1399. I'm not sure how many more they have (mine was new, sealed boxes and all), but it's advertised in their latest flyer for that price, so I assume they must have at least a few here and there.

EDIT: Oddly enough, the Samash.com website has them for $1499, but I'm sure they'd match the price in the retail store flyer if you went that route.

[This message has been edited by m_s_w (edited February 03, 2002).]

Comment

Feb 18...still no drum trigger sensor. Roland is losing a customer after this purchase.
              Other gear:Roland: A90ex, DR-770, XV-5080 w/SRX1-4, MC80ex, VS-2480, Mackie: 1642, M1400i, 2ea C-300

Comment

M_S_W sounds just like me. I'm a bass player and my friend and I built a mini studio in a spare bedroom. We played/recorded with a drum machine for a long time and got sick of programming a lifeless machine, so I got the vclubs and its been great. We tried playing with drummers and just got frustrated with who we ended up with...

Comment

Yup! Only difference is I moved away from my band, and haven't met any drummers yet. I'm moving back in a year or two, so I figured until then I'd just play drums myself!

The V-drums have gone way beyond my expectations...they blow away my drum machines in terms of sound quality. Better yet, I'm no longer wasting 1/2 of my time programming drum tracks!

Comment

Yeah.. Us stringed players don't need no stinking drummers!

Thanks roland!

Comment

Working...
                    X