Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

live cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live cymbals

how many of you use live cymbals in your set up? if you do, which ones? thanks.
    g

Originally posted by furrtig:
    how many of you use live cymbals in your set up? if you do, which ones? thanks.
    g
    Do you mean accoustic cymbals?

I use the Sabian B-pro series, circa 1984. I liked them then, and like them now. But - I am considering moving up to a new set, so am interested in this thread.
    - Hans

Comment

I've used acoustic cymbals on my E-drums all along. The electronic cymbals only lasted one day on my V-Pro kit, and the change was made more for sound than feel. I tried 'em again when I installed the TDW-1, but still wasn't too impressed.

ANYWAY, my current setup includes:
      - 14" A Zildjian Rock hats
      - 16" Z Custom Rock crash
      - 17" Z Custom Rock crash
      - 18" Z Custom Rock crash
      - 19" Z Custom Rock crash
      - 20" A Zildjian Earth ride
      - 12" Paiste 2000 Sound Reflections splash
      - 18" Wuhan china

I usually only mount 3 of the 4 crashes at a time, depending on the situation. For live playing, I use the 3 largest (17,18,19) and for rehearsal/recording, usually the 3 smaller (16,17,18) ones.

Reason I'm using such burly crash cymbals is that I used to use Paiste Sound Formula Reflector series crashes, and when they discontinued those, I used Paiste Signature Series crashes. I loved the sound of them, but found myself playing much harder live while wearing headphones. Much to my dismay, I was cracking crash cymbals at a rather expensive and alarming rate, something that hadn't happened since I was a bashing beginner way back when. The Z Customs were about the beefiest crash cymbals I could find, and take any abuse I dish out to them. I've found that my favorite ones are the odd-sized 17- and 19-inch ones; the 19" is especially sweet for crash/ride work. Full-bodied, great tonal spread, and really freakin' loud. Cuts thru walls of guitars, keyboards, and drum loops with no problem.

With all things being the same, though, I still like the recorded sound of the Paiste cymbals better - glassy and shimmery.

FWIW,

-Danny
      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Paiste 3000 heavy ride (20-inch)
        Paiste 3000 china type (20)
        Paiste 2000 heavy hihats (14)
        Paiste Line mellow crash (15)
        Paiste Line short crash (16)
        Zildjian K dark crash (17)
        and a splash soon ...

Some drum modules have good cymbal samples. But acoustic cymbals win on playability, dynamic and sound.
        Robert

Comment

I use all acoustic cymbals with acoustic snare, the rest = V's (or triggered from acoustic drums).

Much as I would like to list all my cymbals and sizes here (all Zildjian), I don't think that is the direction of your question is it?
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I tried to use the e cymbals live,and be fully digital.

I found that my problem was judging my volume in relation to the rest of the band.
            Also the snare just wasn't quite there.

I now have neen using my TD 8, Paiste 14" formula 602's xtra heavy (drool on ) either a 16 A custom or a 18 dimensions thin crash, and mt 20" med traditional ride, then I have one pad for extra cymbals or whatever.
            My toms are all pads and on the left of my hats I have the PD 120 as an aux snare.

Once I did that I could really get the volume close to what I and the band feels as acceptable.

I have read and reread most of this forum and the whole site and for my use this is the only way to go.

First time trying it I had the threshold too low and it was a nightmare, but I found the compromise and it's been great.

Now that I have said that, I am going to go all acoustic for a while to keep my chops up there ,plus I miss my Yamaha maple customs a lot...

The original Gig Pig.

Comment

I still have 7 Zildjian cymbals I have never used since I got my V-Pro. I stuck with the original PD-9's and got used to them. If anyone has the newest upgrade cymbals and wants to trade for my Zildjian's drop me a line. I'm loyal to the end

Comment

so let me get this straight hmasing uses sabian,fartnokker uses zildjian,putt uses paiste,humm where are all the mine is better than yours guys? or is this issue a matter of tast and there is no correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by craigreese:
                  ... humm where are all the mine is better than yours guys? or is this issue a matter of tast and there is no correct answer.

We're talking about professional cymbals, which are equal to eachother. Only a Paiste Line compared with a Paiste 302 would lead to a this one is better than ... story. Same with Zildjian K compared to Zildjian ZBT, or things like that.

You can't say Paiste is better than Zildjian. I never said ddrum is better than Roland either. Only different. And there are things which I like and dislike. Same with Paiste, Zildjian and Sabian. Same with cars and women
                  Robert

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
                    Can you imagine life when there are three (or more) drum modules available that play and sound (even near) as good as pro level cymbals?
                    Give it 20 years!
                    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Probably pro cymbals are much easier to make than drum modules...
                      Robert

Comment

putt now let me get this straight you say its the same with cars and women? are you trying to tell me that you would prefer lets say a pamela anderson type vs a rosanne barr type? if so i think your are in the minority again.oh wait what the hell did i just say.

Comment

i went all accoustic cymbals. (paiste). went out and bought a Gibralter rack with a legless high hat stand, set up my cymbles and my v custom and i am loving it. the accoustic high hats made all the diff to me. as the cherry around here, im just scratching the surface of what my kit will do.

Comment

Working...
                          X